Hepatitis C Community
Anybody familiar with hyoscyamine?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Anybody familiar with hyoscyamine?

Hello all,
  My gastro doc gave me a prescription for hyoscyamine and my gp had asked me why he gave it to me. I assumed it was for my H-prylori infection but two docs are questioning why he gave it to me. Do they know something I don't? I know that when I have severe belching and feeling like my stomach is blowing up, taking the med helps calm it all down. Has anyone else taken this medication and if you did, why was it prescibed?
Levsin (hyoscyamine)I used many years ago for
spastic colon, & stomach pain
and it worked quite well.  The only adverse
reactions I had was sleepiness and dry
eyes and mouth. My eyes became so dry that
they would stick together so I stopped taking it.
My husband takes it now for IBS and doesn't get the side effects.  It's a good drug if it works for you.
enigma
Yes, Levsin.  My doctor prescribed it to me for abdominal cramping. I didn't really have any side effects from it.  And it didn't seem to work for the cramps that I was having. My doctor explained the medication to me by saying that "it relaxes soft tissue". Apparently your abdomen is "soft tissue". Anyway, it didn't work too well for me. We never did find out what my stomach cramping was caused from (a virus maybe, I don't know) but I know that it wasn't related to my [interferon]treatment because I have had the same types of cramps years ago when not on treatment.
Levsin
Pronounced: LEV-sin
Generic name: Hyoscyamine sulfate
Other brand names: Anaspaz Levbid Levsinex NuLev

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is this drug prescribed?
Return to top

Levsin is an antispasmodic medication given to help treat various stomach, intestinal, and urinary tract disorders that involve cramps, colic, or other painful muscle contractions. Because Levsin has a drying effect, it may also be used to dry a runny nose or to dry excess secretions before anesthesia is administered.

Together with morphine or other narcotics, Levsin is prescribed for the pain of gallstones or kidney stones. For inflammation of the pancreas, Levsin may be used to help control excess secretions and reduce pain. Levsin may also be taken in Parkinson's disease to help reduce muscle rigidity and tremors and to help control drooling and excess sweating. The drug is sometimes prescribed during treatment for peptic ulcer.

Doctors also give Levsin as part of the preparation for certain diagnostic x-rays (for example, of the stomach, intestines, or kidneys).

Levsin comes in several forms, including regular tablets, tablets to be dissolved under the tongue, tablets that dissolve on the tongue (NuLev), sustained-release capsules (Levsinex Timecaps) and sustained-release tablets (Levbid), liquid, drops, and an injectable solution.

Most important fact about this drug
Return to top

Levsin may make you sweat less, causing your body temperature to increase and putting you at the risk of heatstroke. Try to stay inside as much as possible on hot days, and avoid warm places such as very hot baths and saunas.

Hope this helps   Joni
Thank you everyone,
     I know when this was prescribed, I was having a very hard time and really felt bad. But that was nothing compared to what I will go through when I start this treatment, which I will do right after the new year. I am praying that I will be one of the lucky few who don't seem to react too badly....we'll see. I will let you all know how it goes. Best wishes to all of you and thanks.
i was prescribed hyoscymine for crohns disease for a period of time until it was discontinued and now im prescribed hyomax. but is it prescribed for different irritable bowel diseases. and for cramps and spas's inside the stomach/bowel/colon. i would consider having a serious talk with your doctor. intense cramps such as you described are caused mainly by irritable bowel disease, colitis, crohns disease, etc. and i would SERIOUSLY advise that you see a gastroenterologist and have a COLONOSCOPY done because i had the same feelings before i was diagnosed with crohn's. i had a colonoscopy done and i had ulcering inside my colon and bowels. it is caused by acidity and it very painful. and you could definitly tell the difference between a stomach ache and having an ulcer or something among those lines. i hope my information helped

- Andrew
I was put on Levsin a few weeks ago for  IBS relief and I personally do not like it It gives me horribly headaches and makes me want to sleep all day I was on Bentyl before but it was offering no relief from the stomach spasms
I had problems with my stomach and cramping had all the tests done and had a food journal and found out I cant have any thing with dairy and some processed food and if have anything with dairy in it I take Hyoscyamine and the spasms stop but I still cant eat solid food for a couple days when I do the spasms start up again until I stay on a ligiud diet so it can settled