Hepatitis C Community
Anybody know anything about elevated CPK?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

First off, I've been off of treatment for the past 14-1/2 mon.  For the newbies, I've treated 10 times w/o clearing.  Not giving up though...  open to treating again if something new comes along.

Recently, I was feeling more sore than my usual soreness that I have in the muscles and bones.  It was as if somebody had pushed the on button on with the inflammation and I was hurting big time.  I thought maybe I had the flu.  Well, it wasn't the flu.  I tested negative for flu on the flu-swab.  The doctor ran a bunch of lab work on me including a muscle enzyme test.  They called me yesterday and said the CPK was elevated and that he thought it was the reason for my increased problem with the inflammation.  So, he wants me to have it drawn again next week and if it's still elevated he wants me to have it worked up further.

I googled CPK and there's like SO MANY different things that can cause it that it's really hard to be able to know.  I had been working out at the gym more, since last Feb.  However, when this test was done, I hadn't been to the gym in a week so, it wasn't as if I had just been working out and then, had the blood drawn.

My LFT's were the same level (around the 80's) as they were last month, so it wasn't like the liver was just acting up any more than usual.

Susan400
You know I don't know anything about it but I cannot believe it's been over 14 months ........ my God it seems just impossible doesn't it?  Boy we've been sitting in here a long LONG time LOL!
I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top since, I haven't had much response to my question.  Except for my good friend, NYGirl.  Doesn't anybody have experience with this CPK thing?  Susan400
Susan, I have no personal expericence with the CPK issue.  You've probably Googled it enough to have found the following (that I copied and pasted) but in case you haven't seen this - here it is:  

"Everyone has a certain level of CPK in their blood because of the normal turnover of muscle cells.  People with more muscles have a higher level of CPK in the blood.  Anything that damages muscle cells can increase the CPK in the blood.  Trauma, heavy workouts (seen in soldiers who march for long periods), intramuscular injections, alcohol, viral infections, autoimmune diseases called myositis.  Some drugs such as cholesterol drugs (statins) can cause muscle damage as a rare side effect.  There are also people with genetic problems who have an increase tendency to raise thier CPK after exercise, but this rarely is a problem."

This article went on to say that it depends on HOW elevated it is as to whether or not it needs further evaluation.  Seems like your doc is on top of it by retesting next week.  

Let us know how it turns out.  
My first thought was cardiac enzymes as my mother had elevated CPK after her heart attack, and they were able to establish approximately when the event took place by the level of CPK in her blood.
I found more info when I googled Creatine phosphokinase than CPK. It seems there's a wide range of reasons from muscular dystrophy to thyroid problems. Another reason is
rhabdomylosis which is a fancy term for muscle overuse.
Hope this helps.
Bug
My seven year old has CPK levels of over 40,000 then dropped down to 25000 then went back up to 27000.  He also has off the chart AST and ALT results in the  900 range.  His IGG Gliadins were elevated and DNA test was done for Muscular Dystrophy.  Is it common with MD for CPK levels to flucuate within a weeks time.  My doctor does not want to test him for anything else because he thinks he's got it with MD>  Need your thoughts please.