Hepatitis C Community
Are Antibiotics Safe to Take?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Are Antibiotics Safe to Take?

I'm sure this subject has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it in the archives.  Are antibiotics safe to take?  I had an outpatient procedure done yesterday (not related to my HCV) and I was prescribed 100 mg. of Doxycycline, twice a day, for five days.  Since so few doctors, other than GI's, seem to know anything about HCV, I didn't even bother to tell this practitioner about my "condition".

So what's the scoop on antibiotics?

Susan

hey there......i usually live in costa rica for the winters and last year my doctor was really concerned that i bring a mild anti-biotic with me, just incase of extreme emergency... as she didn't want me taking most anti-biotics....said they are very hard on the liver....so, humm...really....i don't know, guess thats a good question for a proffessional......sorry, can't be of more help and hope this isn't disheartening after you have already filled the script...maybe it'll be just fine, guess it depends on how badly you need the anti-biotic...and for what etc etc...lots of factors!....
kimmy
hope this doesn't post twice...went back and found something for you....on another thread....MALERIA (malaria) PILLS SAFE?........it says that it was determined that doxycycline was the safest drug to take with liver condition, think thats the one you mentioned.....hope i have this right...if i try and go back again to double...well...okay triple check...i may loss this again....k
it may depend on the condition of your liver. the penicillin family are the better ones to take according to some websites ive visited.   Hepatitis magazine had an article on them also.  some are not recommended for liver disease at all. here is the list i have found on various publications/sites that are ones we should not take:    Trovan
                    Augmentin
                    Ciprofloxacin
                    Erythromycin-family
                    Tetracycline-family
                     Chloramphenicolum-family  

i carry a list of these in my purse in the event i should land in the hospital or such.  ive had bad reactions in the past to erythromicin for example.   the PENICILLIN family  ones are the ones ive seen listed as the best for us with liver issues.
incidentally Cipro or Ciprofloxacin is what was/is used for Anthrax.  during the anthrax scare  thats what all those hundreds of people who thought they were exposed last year- were taking.   where would that leave us with liver issues?  i know i wouldnt take it.  hepatitis magazine said it can even cause liver failure.
Please make sure you mention your hepC to your practitioners.

While most are not as familiar with all the ins and out, most have some basic knowledge and are fairly familiar with drugs that are safe or not for the liver.

(except my husbands frickin' DENTIST who is apparently the most ignorant person on earth)...

Seriously though, as a health care worker myself, even though we are supposed to treat everyone with universal precautions, I believe it is prudent to disclose to your practitioners your health condition.
Thank you so much for the info. I just put the list in my purse too. My doctor is aware of my situation, however he did prescribe me cypro not long ago.
Hi and hope you're feeling okay. I went thru a 2 month battle w/ an upper resp. infect. My G.P. who is aware of my HepC but me on them. I had to take 2 different antibiotics...I took a round of predisone and that didn't clear it, so he put me on something stonger, I'm sorry but I can't remember what they were. Then I had a urinary tract infection and was treated w, ceptra. I had no problem w/ either, but did contact my liver doc, before taking them and he said it was no problem. Hope you feel better soon. Love @ prayers, Cindee
Hi Christie,

Your right...I probably should tell all healthcare practitioners about my HCV.  But after the horrible way I was talked to by my Cleveland Clinic GI (see thread below titled: "My GI is an Idiot"), I've been unwilling to subject myself to the prejudice that some healthcare workers have toward people with this disease. Also, shouldn't healthcare workers be obligated to tell their patients about their own medical status?  For example, do you tell every patient that you come in contact with that you have HCV?  Shouldn't your position on of disclosure work both ways?

Susan
Hi Christie,

Susan

Thank you Christie, and everyone else who responded to my question.
I spent time yesterday with my GPPA regarding a few ongoing issues.  I EDUCATED HER on much of how hepc illness/treatment works.  She says they usually end up shipping patients off to the GI's and never really get into specifics about hepc.  I believe part of the issue is that people are unwilling to talk about it.  I was not willing to for the first few weeks after diagnosis, but now I tell everyone.  I don't want to be part of continuing the stigma of this illness.  As for health care workers sharing their own information with patients, I hadn't thought about it, but in general I don't think I want to know everyone's problems who treats me.  I just want them to be safe, knowledgeable, caring and as informed about what they are working with as possible.  The stigma will go down and the level of care up as this illness becomes better understood. caruu
Just a short note to tell you all, I agree w/ you on how we are sometimes treated by healthcare workers who don't have a "CLUE" about Hep C. I gave this forum address to all my doctors and my disability people, I just hope they have used it. Best Wishes to all and I wish for Christmas for us all to be SVR!!!!!! Prayers to all, Cindee
I was prescribed amoxicillan for 2 weeks after which (during the last days of which, actually) I developed what I thought was a urinary tract infection. A few days later is felt like a kidney infection, especially on the right side. A moron prescribed Cipro for 5 days and I pissed blood clots, cried out in pain day and night, fell into the doorjam while trying to walk through doors, puked, etc. etc. At the time I did not know I had Hep. C.
The "night nurse" at the conglomerate medical industrial complex that calls itself Sutter Health, said I should go to the hospital and get IV Cipro at that point.
I went to another doctor clown at the same facility who said there was nothing wrong with me, maybe a little stiff, and that I should try yoga or "just wiggle your hip" when I told him the pain was still there from above my right kidney down to my bladder area. When I insisted, he said, "oh all right, here's a referral to a chiropractor."
A week of increasing pain with the chiropractor sent me off to Planned Parenthood (I had never had health insurance in my life) where a Nurse Practitioner prescribed bactrin, yet another broad spectrum antibiotic, and she agreed with me that it was probably a kidney infection, but she'd look at the urinary sample and get back to me. "If it still hurts this bad tomorrow, go to the E.R."
Which I did. There they gave me morphine (and kept pressing me for the next 8 hours in the E.R. to take more morphine, which I refused -either so they could charge more outrageous costs for drugs or so someone could have access to the scheduled drugs) and gave me yet another broad spectrum mystery antibiotic, and finally they admitted me to the hospital "for 3 days".
Who knew that when you dragged yourself to the E.R. they would toy with you and slam you with an extra bill over and above the hospital bill? There's a special place in hell for these facilities and their pimps for the drug companies and insurance companies
I was finally let go after 4 days (no reason for the extra day than that they wanted to charge more money, including $365 extra for "30 minutes of reviewing my chart to release me" (which should be part of the $18,000 +/- bill for 4 days of IV broad spectrum antibiotic, yet another one, and a roommate from hell, one would think). Then given yet another broad spectrum antibiotic to take orally for 10 days.
It's taken me over a year to barely recover from these mis-diagnosed, mis-prescribed drugs.
Only after this trip to hell and back did I decide, at age 63, to try to get "health insurance" -  an oxymoron if there ever was - lest some other MDs inadvertently get hold of me. Of course I was refused by all but Anthem Blue Cross which wanted to charge me about $780/month.
Fortunately President Obama's health policy for pre-existing conditions kicked in and after a couple of months I got $557/month PCIP insurance. After a few months Blue Cross weenied out of being the provider for that, and now it's First HealthNet or something.
The MD I stupidly chose from their list (who knew?) was incompetent and lazy -loved to "refer out" to equal scam artists with a license masquerading as doctors, to spread the insurance money & extra fees around- but she did, after several visits, discover I had Hepatitis C.
It's been a long strange trip since then.
Suffice to say, I trust M.D.s, the "medical establishment" and all their money grubbing, mindless heartless flunkies less than ever, after this ordeal.
I have had some messed up experiences myself.    I finally discovered I had Hep C after at least 5 years of not having any "full blown symptoms".  It wasn't until I gave blood for the first time in over 8 years that I found out that I had this disease.   On top of this I have been battling 2 herniated discs in my back, and regular headaches/migraines.   After blood tests and having Vaccines for Hep A and Hep B, I decided I should hurry up and try to have a baby with my AMAZING WIFE!!!.   I thank GOD for her.   Apparently the one thing that you should never ever ever ever do, is have a child on interferon.  I am afraid at this point that My reproductive system is not very effective, and possibly not my wives either.   I am thinking that after about 6 months of putting off the treatment I should just do it already.   I just know that I will be out of the " baby making" for 2 years, and Sick too.    I have a great job and it is always on the " chopping block ".   If I get sick now, worse than I already am, I am afraid I will loose my job.   Has anyone had luck getting an FMLA from work for their treatment?    Also my work is very serious about discrimination and harassment...  What is anyone's experience with this side?