Hepatitis C Community
Are non-organic fruits and vegetables hard on the liver ?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi Team,
    I just currently relapesed at three months post tx. When I got the news my alt was 510 and my and my ast was 210. I am a geno 1a. This news has started me to begin to change the way I eat. I was made aware that there are herbicides and pesticides in non-organic fruits and vegetables. I was looking to get some input from others if a person with hcv should be avoiding such foods. Thanks and my best to all.
This is another area where I've had to make compromises to fit our budget.  Walmart has started to carry a lot of organic stuff and I have at times purchased these just for Joe.  One day, I discovered their organic grapes marked cheaper than the regular.(not the norm)  Some of the organic stuff tastes amazingly better which suprised me.  Most of the time I use Ivory dish soap to clean things really well.  This was suggested  by a Christian Dr. that teaches a natural approach ( Dr. Colburn or Colburt<something like that.)  I usually run some warm water in a big bowl with a few drops of the Ivory. I let the grapes or whatever soak for a few minutes  then rinse really well at least 3 times.  I agitate it around with my hand a little too.  If I could, I'd use the organic but this is what I've chosen as next best.  Depending on what it is, I sometimes use a soft brush and scrub a little.  I also wash the outside of bananas and melon really well before cutting or peeling.  Health food stores sell some type of special washing product but I've never used it. For whatever it's worth, this is what I do.
I don't know how it happened but the rest of what I wrote got cut off.  To finish my comments, I  use a little  brush and scrub things like potatoes.  I also thoroughly wash bananas and melons before cutting or peeling.  I also grew a few things in a little garden for salads.(tomato, lettuce, cucumber, green pepper)    If I could afford it, I'd definately get the organic, but this is how I've done the best I can.  It also cut off the "?" explaining that  I can't remember the Dr.'s exact name but  I went with his suggestion because it was simple and cheap.  
Have a nice day,
evangelin
Personally I am not a believer in the Organic movement, but that's just a personal view. There are many substances in the "natural" world that are every bit, if not more harmful, than man made chemicals. Lets face it, we would have to live in a bubble to avoid everything that could possibly kill us.

In saying that, if it makes you feel better to use organics, vitamins, or whatever, then there can't be any harm. Be careful with vitamins though - sometimes the key ingrediants may have originated from polluted Chinese factories (where there is a real risk of toxins).
As an aside, there is also evidence that the Organic movement is accelerating the destruction of Central and South American rain forests. It is much cheaper and quicker to cut down some trees and start from clean "organic" ground than it is to clean up an existing farm in North America.

Again, just my view though. There are pros and cons with everything in life, but sometimes it pays to be a little skeptical, especially when it will hurt your pocket book.
Hi there hope all is doing well. Wife and I are on a movement to make some changes in are life to aid with my hcv. Your post to me last week was just what I needed to hear. God has set me on the right track. The news of relapes floored me for about 2 days and then with Gods streaghth and your direction I began the journey to do all the things I can to help my liver. Take Care and hope to talk to you soon.
Thanks for the input. You know I sure can relate with your point of view. I don,t what to become to fanactic about going organic. I just feel I need to begin to help my liver where ever I can. Take Care
Just something else I thought of that helped me in defining how far to go with this.  I've mentioned Dr. Joel Fuhrman before; I highly respect his opinion on anything to do with nutrition.  He mentioned a study that was done that compared two cultures with a very high and comparable percent of smokers.  I think one was Hawaii and the other was a South American country but I can't remember the particulars.  The point of the study was to analyze why one of the cultures had a much higher incident of smoking related cancers than the other.  It came out in the study that one of the culture's diet contained a lot of cruciferous vegetables and the other did not.  They think these vegetables such as Broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts act like a shield against these cancers .  This really made me think about it not being an all or nothing situation.  We can't live in a bubble or buy all organic but we sure can eat broccoli!  Pick the best and most doable things and do them.  So much has been written indicating plain coffee to be really helpful to the liver...another very doable thing that looks like it could really help.  
Getting  fanatical will just cause stress which is very unhealthy;>)   It's a vicious circle but we probably need to find peace in doing our best at any given time and hold the rest up to the Lord.  I only came to this opinion after many months of being gripped with fear and it only made our situation worse.  We are finding peace in doing what we are able to do and trusting God with the rest.

I don't know about the liver --- but broccoli gives me gas.

LMAO!

With that said - I try to eat healthier now- and I try to keep my veggies and fruits cleaner than before.

Alrighty then - good conversation - but I don't have much to add - food is important - and whether the insecticides are a problem or not, I can't tell. But I can tell the difference when I eat healthier compared to when I don't.

Meki
The liver is our bodies filter. Everything we eat and breath is filtered through this organ. Therefore if the food you eat has no additives and no pesticides and herbicides, it will be easier for your liver. It is a simple as that.
      I have my own garden. It is organic and has nothing to do with depleting rain forests, geez, that's about corporate mentality, moa hunter, nothing to do with organics, only about greed.
    I do read labels but I also believe in moderation. Sugar is hard on the liver, I'm told but hey, I need my icecream!

Your stock just sky-rocketed! If you were missing a tooth and had a wonderfully floppy bosom-- I could want you to have my children!  
ROFLMAO... I might be able to do the wonderfully floppy bosom ---- but the tooth... I dunno...

Hmmm could be I could visit the dentist for ya...

*Grin*
I am about 150 pages in the "Hallows"  Oooooohhh - defenses against the dark arts rule!
frijole
Ooooops. That comment's left over from prior pic - it was L'l Goof at the the real Platform 9 3/4....
Skip the dentist. A home-done tatoo is almost as good - placement is of course very important....
I'm with OH on this, if youre veggies and fruits don't have pestisides, additives, etc...youre better off, if you can't afford these (and if you go to a farmer's market near you, the prices are comparable to non-organic in the store anyway) grown your own if you can, they make these little pots to grow your own even if you live in an apt...but a farmer's market will have many "locally" grown veggies and fruits...if not in season, there is always frozen, that's when I eat winter veggies....

That goes for supplements...if you buy from reputable supplement companies (Solgar, Nature's Herbs, Enzymatic Therapy, Garden of Life, many others) these are made in the USA and put up to standardization...I don't buy my supps from China and I don't know who does....you can even buy Chinese herbs that are locally grown....
Makes sense that the non-natural chemicals probably ain't good for anyone, least of all those of us with crappy livers. Jst cause you can't see it or smell it, doesn't mean it's not there. Also, I've read compelling reports that the macro-nutrients in the chemically fertilized veggies aren't close to what they are in the natural ones. Makes sense  to me - if organi tastes better, wheres that flavor coming from? The good bits, I'd venture. .

Still I don't buy organic as often as I should - about half-and-half I guess. I like forseesprouts idea of the local farmers market - I don't go often enough and we have one somewhere close nearly every day.

I'm surprised! Given the word 'vegetables' in the title of this thread I thought fer sure I'd see a reference to eggplant somewhere.  Hey, the pics are getting better.  What's the final evolution to, Dumbledore or Moses?