Hepatitis C Community
Article on pain meds

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Article on pain meds

It often comes up here which is the best pain med to take.Everybody is different as far as risks go depending on many health issues.Article below explains some of these for those that haven"t see it.
Will

http://hepatitiscnewdrugs.blogspot.com/

Liver damage. Acetaminophen, the No. 1 nonprescription pain reliever, does not cause GI bleeding, but long-term frequent use or even large single doses can cause severe liver damage. In fact, acetaminophen overdosing is the most common cause of acute liver failure in the U.S., often as the result of suicide attempts. Most people still don’t know about this risk and don’t realize that acetaminophen is in hundreds of OTC cold, allergy and headache products and some prescription pain relievers. Check labels for acetaminophen, and don’t take more than 4 grams—equal to eight Extra Strength Tylenol tab--lets—a day from all sources. Alcohol (three drinks or more at a time) and certain other drugs increase the risk. Heavy drinkers and those with liver disease should avoid, or at least limit, acetaminophen. Taking the drug while fasting also increases the risk.

• Kidney damage. NSAIDs (and acetaminophen to a lesser extent) can damage the kidneys. If you have kidney disease, talk to your doctor about pain reliever safety.

Here’s our advice

For healthy people who take OTC pain relievers as directed, the risks are relatively small. However, because these drugs are so popular, thousands of Americans are affected every year. Don’t let these concerns prevent you from taking the drugs if you need them, but do follow this advice, especially if you take pain relievers often:

Just as a follow up to that article.My Hepa ,and I believe most of them concur that Acetaminophen is safe for most with HCV ,always taken within  dosing guidelines.and ideally not for prolonged periods.

Will
Will you are correct Will. the only line I don't agree with is " those with liver disease should avoid, or at least limit, acetaminophen.
Limit yes. Under 2 grams per day or less. Avoid no.
Cirrhotics are ONLY allowed to take Acetaminophen as a over the counter pain med. No NSAIDs due to increased chances of internal bleeding, kidney damage, salt and water retention, increased hepatic encephalopathy (HE). All complication we are trying to manage.

Acetaminophen is a joke among cirrhotics because with advanced liver disease treating pains arising from our liver disease with acetaminophen is like putting a band-aid on an amputation! Next to useless. But it is all we have. Oh well...You do what you can do.

Thanks for the posting, Will

Hector
Hector...I was wondering about that line  that said to" avoid "also...   anyway..hope you are feeling ok and positive thoughts your way

Will
thanks for the 2gm or less per day clarification.  you are a amazing asset to this community.
blessings
eric
Thanks for posting this information, as this is so good to know.  I got into trouble with taking more than the recommended dose of NSAIDS, when I had migraines (not related to tx).  Once I told my doctor, we were able to take a different path that made me feel better.  One key element (at least for headaches) was Lots and Lots of water, and less sodium.  And for Hector -- sorry to hear that Acetam. is not cutting it.  I pray they come up with some alternative for you soon.

BeeBlessed