Hepatitis C Community
Article on website privacy, scary

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Article on website privacy, scary

HIPPA might not protect us down the road. I saw this when I was out to CA for Fibroscan and forgot to post it. Just read it again. Hate to be paranoid, but when it comes to insurance companies or employers digging up ways to deny benefits...a good reason to be more anonymous I guess.
___________________________________________

Excerpt:

One concern is that insurance companies might use personal information posted on Web sites as justification to turn down a person's application for coverage, Dixon said.

The issue surfaced in December when a New Jersey judge ordered a girl to turn over her postings on the Facebook and MySpace social network sites as evidence in a lawsuit seeking to force Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey to pay for the girl's medical treatment for an eating disorder, according to Law.com. Horizon said the condition was psychological rather than medical, and that the girl's postings proved it.
_______________________________________

Full article:

http://tinyurl.com/4fon5p
Maybe post this to MH and see what they say. Most don't use their real names, but the pictures are there for the world to see:)

It's good that you remembered to post this. Maybe MH will let us know what they would do if they were asked to turn over our posts.

MO
When people chose to post their pictures, their personal email address, what town they live in, who they treat with, etc, etc, -- they are voluntarily giving up a high degree of privacy.
WOW I just put up some pictures of me and my family. My current Ins. of course knows, but what if I change jobs? If you change jobs, unlikely in my case but you never know, can they find out from your old Ins? I believe you do need to disclose your DX if you will need some TX for it. It is scary though I recently was denied extra life Ins.
LOL, I was going to make a comment about my big schnoz front and center after posting the link but thought maybe "damage is done."

Yes, after the phone companies dealings with the current administration, it would be good to know if MH has policies in place for different scenarios.

Regardless, I have a very handsome pet who will be making an appearance soon. : )