Hepatitis C Community
Asprin, actaminophen, ibuprofen is one worse than the other for the liv...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Asprin, actaminophen, ibuprofen is one worse than the other for the liver?

I have been having migraines since I was around 40 (now 56), and the treatments are exacerbating my migraines.  Normally I take fiorinol with codeine ( I can't remember how to spell it), then before my liver biopsy I started taking fiorcet with codeine, can't spell that either.  The NP told me to mix up the acetaminaphen and ibuprofen (not together) for different days when I need something for fever, aches, etc. But what about asprin?  What impact does that have on the hep c/liver, etc.??  I'm doing my best not to take anything, however...it is very difficult when one is uncomfortable.  Third shot is on Tuesday.
Thanks,
Wilful
This is what Dr. D. replied to a similar question on the expert forum

"Tylenol, contrary to popular belief is OK to take if you have HCV, just no more than 4-6 per day. Ibuprofen is also good if your stomach is OK with it and you take it with food. Stronger stuff like opiates are also OK if necessary, but easy to become addicted to if you are not careful. DTD"

BTW, codeine is an opiate... Codeine is usually prescribed together with either paracetamol or ibuprofen. One or two codeine pills with either paracetamol or  ibuprofen. That's what my doc gave me long time ago when I had some serious pain. Can't remember what the pain was, though.

Marcia
all of them could harm you. Tylenol is metabolized by the liver extensively and in Europe there was a limitation  to reduce package size some weeks ago. However, as long as you do not take  many, a noncrhirrotic liver will manage to metabolze it. Tylenol is very helpful against fever, ibuprofen is ver helpful against infammation, eg of the ankles. Aspirin and ibuprofen increase the risk of severe bleeding, especially if one has low platelets.
All these substances should be taken with care.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cKzJOmVhjs

Fore migraine there are much better specialised drugs, the triptanes. Migraine is not simple headache. You really should ask a neurologist for help.

All the best, drofi
I was told not to take aspirin while on treatment -- Tylenol was OK as Dr. Dieterich suggests. I believe one reason not to take aspirin on tx is because of the lower platelet count.
Thanks everyone for the comments.  I really hadn't researched how each is metabolized by the liver and/or kidneys.  I can't take the triptanes because I have terrible reactions to them.  I have tried blood pressure meds, anti-seizure meds, herbal remedies, acupuncture, massage, ice packs, just about everything.

Thanks again.
Wilful