Hepatitis C Community
Ativan and the liver

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Ativan and the liver

Hi everyone:

My family doctor just prescribed Ativan for anxiety...Anyone have an experience with this med and I was also wondering if it is "liver freindly"

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks Beth
i have been on 2mg ativan for 24 weeks to sleep no sx for it
chip dip  hehehee

thanks for info, now I have anxiety about my anxiety  lol   what a carnival ride this is going to be...

Beth

I was on several different types of meds for anxiety while on TX(Xanax, Valium and others). Ativan is not considered "bad" on your liver. I don't know many drugs that are good for your liver. The bigger concern is to get through TX, thats your main concern, finishing TX..If you need other meds to make then use them.

Blessings

TonyZ
thanks for the input Tony...I haven't even started treatment yet and if I am this full of anxiety already I am wondering if they will even treat me...I can't seem to get the Hep C off my mind, still haven't got my VL and Genotype back yet, it's been three weeks since they did the test...I think it's all the "unknowns" that is driving me crazy...I'm usually a normal easy going level headed person but this thing has taken hold of my entire life...
Yeah, it made me sleepy
yes it is a very long time, I tested positive for Hep C in May and still don't know what my VL is, it's totally unacceptable but here in Ontario we are at the mercy of the Doctors, if you complain they can drop you as a patient and there is a serious shortage of doctors here so if they drop me I would be in even worse shape..I call the office once a week, this week "Heather" the receptionist told me she was just  to busy to look and see if the results came back, said call back tomorrow when I am not so busy...I just about went crazy...God I wish I were home in the States for my medical treatment but don't have insurance there anymore...I moved to Canada 6 years ago...
Veggie or chip dip lol   Seems like that is a long time with still no results.  Have you tried calling your drs office to see if they have yet?  That is what it is that is making you so anxious,,,I went through that also but only took about a week but once I found out what I was as far as vl and geno.  I then could calm down with a game plan. Hope you find out soon!
well my liver is really wrecked so i couldnt sleep from toxicity and i was taking ativan for like a year and a half and i got dependant on it but it was actually causing anxiety and stressing my liver so bad i couldnt sleep so i stopped taking it and now i can sleep but barely still however the anxiety is less. it was actually causing me anxiety.
Hi, I've been asking around for awhile and supposedly ativan is the least toxic of all the benzos. But of course with these iffy questions,it'll depend on who you talk to. I also read zanax is next to it as the least toxic, but not as good as ativan. Like it's been said, guess the whole point is to get through that. Hope youre well.
I couldn't have gotten through all these months without Ativan.  The meds make me so hyper and obsessive so the Ativan really helps.  My dr said it was fine with my liver.  I have always been concerned about harming my liver but my dr. says that with minimal damage you are not as restricted about what you take.  

The next problem is the withdrawal and I can tell you that benzo withdrawal is not fun.  I had taken Ativan before for about 8 weeks during a very difficult emotional time and the withdrawal was very difficult.  I didn't sleep for a couple of weeks and was extremely touchy about everything.  I can only imagine what it will be like after 6 months or so!  Just a word of caution about withdrawal if you do take it, you must withdraw very very slowly - even more slow than the docs say or you will for sure have rebound anxiety.

-cbee