Hepatitis C Community
Autoimmune hepatitis and shingles connection?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Did anyone have shingles before being diagnosed.  I had shingles about a year before my autoimmune came out of remission.  One of my biggest problems is a burning sensation under the skin around my eyes and across my forehead.  Can any on suggest what this may be, and how to stop it. I have tried everything and it is drivin me mental.
Thanks again
Robert
my 14 year was given hepatitis b vaccine befor school started late aug and has suffered a long list of  problems since ,
joint pain  stiffness  headachs tiredness and 4 different rashes  last one current being shingles  this isnt the only painful rash  she has had  symptoms have bean virtually none stop  since  vaccination , before the vaccination aside from the odd col d my daughter was healthy  never had a rash or sufferd from  any of the above systems , has anyone els had any or all of these effects ,iv now taken matters into my own hands and my daughter will no longer receive any form of vaccine  you too can have control over the decision to vaccinate or not
I had Shingles when I was 28, but I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was 33 yrs old, I am 47 now.  I've never been told that I have autoimmune hepatitis though and I've had 4 biopsies.  I was originally genotyped as 1A/1B, but now, after 10 treatments, I've been genotyped almost 2 yrs ago as a genotype 1A.  I also had pneumonia when I was 25.  At first, I was really concerned, because of knowing that I had risk factors for HIV due to the IV drug use that I stupidly did in my early 20's.  But, fortunately, I have always tested negative for HIV.  I do know that my immune system obviously is having trouble with fighting this virus of Hepatitis C.

Susan400
I have been diagnosed with Lupus in the last 7 years.  Prior to this I have had the chicken pox multiple times as year!  I'm told they are not shingles as my immune system has stopped the virus from being stored in my spine for it to come out as shingles.  When they appear they look like pox...not a rash like shingles.  I've had cultures done on them and they come out as the pox.  I never put two and two together as a clue to an auto immune disease until after I was diagnosed with the Lupus.  Now I look back and can see many signs to an immune problem.

I do get irrated areas but usually in my arm pits is the worst.  I know the pain as I would sit with my arms stretched out so they wouldnt touch any part of my body as the pain was intense.  I delievered two children with no pain meds...this was more painful!!  I had to switch all products from perfume / fragerance which lowered the rashes and breakouts...deoderants, hair spray, shampoos, detergents, etc.  I found a product on ebay 5 years ago that has helped!!  It's natural and made by Carley's Clear and Smooth.  The original soap and face wash has worked for me...It's not expensive unlike other products.  (I have no connection to the company in any way!)
This question was asked 10 years ago, but I thought I'd still share what I know from my own experience.

I was first diagnosed with AIH in 2005 (after 8 years of misdiagnosis), treatment started in 2008 with corticosteroids and Azathioprine. During the start of 2011 I moved to another town and the doctor put me on a higher dosage of corticosteroids after I complained about feeling exhausted. About two weeks later the shingles set in.

Another doctor explained to me that the higher dosage of corticosteroids probably caused the shingles to set in because my immune system was so suppressed that it could not contain the virus, which is ofcourse contracted from the chicken pox I had as a child.

I scaled down my dosage and together with the treatment for the shingles, it was sorted within a few days. Unfortunately, the shingles tend to annoy you for months after that with what seems to be an itchy feeling underneath your skin.