Hepatitis C Community
Bariatric surgery and Cirrhosis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Bariatric surgery and Cirrhosis

Hi I am 40 BMI 47 and have Hep C  gen 1 and Microscopic Cirrhosis. I have been through the treatment with Rib/int but it was unsuccesful.
I have a young family and love to be active but am unable to because of my size.
Does anyone know if this is something that Doctors would look at and say no to Bariatric Surgery? Is it riskier on me than other people? I figure it would help my fatty liver and lessen my fat intake which my doctor told me I needed to do. He said I need to lose weight If I want another chance at getting the peg/rib treatment again.
My mother had the surgery and is doing well.
Does anyone have any info on this.
Hi Lori,

I’m certainly not a medical professional; only a patient that has HCV. However, I don’t believe having Hep C would necessarily preclude you from surgery; many of us have had various surgeries while infected with this disease. I agree with your doctor that it’s in your best interest to shed some weight prior to re-treatment; it will increase the odds of the meds working. How is your blood sugar? Adipose tissue/obesity generally increases insulin resistance; and IR has been shown to decrease the efficacy of interferon/ribavirin as well.

Check with your doctor, and see what he/she has to say about the procedure; and good luck going forward—

Bill
If the cirrhosis has lowered your platelets or is causing other liver related problems they will not consider surgery.  
It's really best to consult with a hepatologist first.
Good Luck
Trinity