Hepatitis C Community
Bed Bugs

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Bed Bugs

I bought a second hand recliner at a thrift shop, and it came complete with a host of "buddies", ie bed bugs. I taped all I could find and took them to my doctor, which confirmed my suspicions; but now they're in my love seat as well and the carpet(but not in my bed!). I've tried bombing, dusting, sprays, ana even bleach and water(an old remedy); but to no avail. All this has done is make my skin react in a most disgusting way. My question is, how do I get rid of them? Most of the tings I've read about on the internet, you can't buy here in Hawaii, and I can't afford a pest exterminator. Please help me. I fear, I'm losing my mind here, and there's nobody I can turn to.
Thank you,
ghostwitch_b94u
P.S. I threw away the recliner, but can't afford to throw anything else away, but I suppose I will......if absolutely need be.
Ghostwitch, we don't specialize in your kind of bug.   This is a Hepatitis forum.   Tear out the rug, maybe?   Remove all offending objects?  Gasoline?  Match?  Best of luck to you.

SNOOK -  At long last!   I've got the drummers starting now, pumping up the atmosphere.  
LOU-  Congratulations on starting on the path to your new plague-free life.   May it go easy with you tomorrow night.

NEWBIES-   The smell ofl lavender helps amazingly well with nausea.  Find a good lavender spray, or dilute several drops of lavender essential oil in water in a small spray bottle (preferably glass).    Spray your pillows, the sheets, the air, yourself.  

Hey Casper,

You may try going underground/underwater until your buddies decide to disappear.

Good luck to you & your LOVE bugs....LOL

what are we getting next? a question about little green men?
REcent reports indicate that vitamin and specifically antioxidants are contribute to increased mortality from various GI cancers.  The one exception appears to be selenium which has been linked to a decrease in the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma.

regards,m
BobK

http://professional.cancerconsultants.com/oncology_gastric_cancer_news.aspx?id=32208

Gastric Cancer News
Antioxidant Vitamins May not Prevent GI Cancers

A Cochrane report has concluded that researchers were unable to find evidence that supplementation with antioxidants prevents gastrointestinal cancers and in fact actually appears to increase overall mortality. The details of this review and meta-analysis appeared in the October 2, 2004 issue of the Lancet .[1]

In observational studies, antioxidant vitamins have been found to decrease the incidence of gastrointestinal cancers; however, randomized trials have been less convincing. These authors looked at 14 randomized trials that included 170,525 subjects. These trials were designed to determine if one or more antioxidant vitamin decreased the incidence of gastrointestinal cancer or pre-cancer in the case of colon adenomas. These researchers found that the use of antioxidant supplements either alone or in specific combinations did not significantly affect the incidence of esophageal, gastric, colorectal or pancreatic cancers when compared to placebo when used for a period of 1-12 years. The only exception to this conclusion was the observation that selenium may have decreased the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in high-risk patients. They also stated that vitamin C was inadequately studied in randomized trials. They also reported that beta carotene with or without vitamin A appeared to increase mortality. In addition, they observed an overall increase in mortality in the antioxidant group, with the magnitude depending of the type of statistic performed. In no analysis was there a decrease in mortality from antioxidant use. An accompanying editorial stated that
Getting back to anti-oxidant vitamins, I should think that the quantity of supplementation matters a great deal.  For example, very large amounts of Vitamin A are toxic, but the amount in typical multi-vitamins is just a precaution, in case your diet is not balanced.
It's so hard to believe that the anti-oxidant vitamins should actually be bad; don't they at least help with some other cancer type stuff?  Breast cancer, or something?  Used with moderation?
Maj Neni
on randomized trials...my ex PA had dismissed some of the studies I had brought to her, by stating that the results are not to be considered completely because the groups were re-randomized at the end of one step. almost as if this action make the results quetionable. I have no idea what difference it makes one way or another, but this vitamin study and the randomization reminded me of her comment.
we need a course on interpreting studies so that we don't get our hopes or fears raised unnecessarily, don't you think?
My thoughts exactly.   Bob K:   What are the various criteria of a credible study?  How large a patient population needs to be examined?  For how long, etc.?    How much confirmation is necessary--i.e., how many times does the same conclusion have to be reached (by professional consensus) before it is pronounced as medical "fact"?    

Before we start dumping our vitamins in a panic:  Vioxx?
haha Tony,,,recipe for "be gone bed bugs" and anything else near by!

Ghostwitch,,,I guess you realize now that you have stumbled across a medical board and most of us here are fighting Hep C and/or have family, friends that are. And we all seem to have an outrageous humor at times also so hope you get rid of your bed bugs!  Geeze,,,if only,,,,I was just looking on this board to get rid of bed bugs,,,I would be the happiest gal around LOL

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had an opportunity in another country many years ago to make some bug destroyers.

Here is my recipe.

5-- 3" round X  8" Pipe. Caps to fit each end.
Fill with your favorite expanding powder, add magnesium for  those heat  resistant bugs. Place them in the areas of the infestation, 1 ever 4 feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think you get the idea.

No More Bugs, But does have some nasty side effects.

TonyZ
Here is more reading.

TonyZ

<a href="http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_3_2X_Common_Questions_About_Diet_and_Cancer.asp">Diet and Cancer</a>

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_3_2X_Common_Questions_About_Diet_and_Cancer.asp
Thanks, Tony, interesting info.  Maj Neni