Hepatitis C Community
Benzos while taking new hep c regimen...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I dad is starting hep c treatment and his doctor said with the new med added to the treatment diazepam he has to stop after a year on it. Is there any benzo like Librium or Xanax that DOES NOT CLASH WITH THE NEW MEDICINE ADDED TO HEP C TREATMENT?
If I read correctly ..your  dads physician is saying that he needs to stop (diazepam) when taking one of the protease inhibitors used for HCV therapy?
If his/her reasoning is only because of effectiveness of therapy that is incorrect.(drug interactions below)
Having said that the data suggests it may increase the effectiveness of the benzo taken.
  Stopping benzoes however for other reasons is only something  his physician physician

.http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Boceprevir(Victrellis) & Incivek.... may increase the blood levels and effects of diazepam. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

best to you ...

Will
-------------------------------
Sorry ..was supposed to say:
Stopping benzoes however for other reasons is only something  his physician would be able to ascertain
Will
Thanks a billion Will!! I greatly appreciate it. Last question will all benzos  raise blood levels when using incivek? Finally will marijuana cause any sides effects when he starts the treatment? He's is 60 years old. He quit alcohol totally a but still likes a toke from time to time.
My dad is looking through his starters kit and can not find what meds not to take when taking the new Hep C 1A treatment? Also, is it true once the Hep C is gone for good in a year or so would it be ok to sip a couple beers after dinner or does he have to stay beer free the rest of his life? I hope he stays alcohol free cause what a pain in the butt he could be. :)
Hi, it should be mentioned in the prescribing information that comes with the medication.  I will try to find it on here and come back. The benzo's would be the ones that the Incivek increases though he could be monitored.  Before they knew, I was on Xanax  and really had a rough time after finishing Incivek.
There must be something else he can take for anxiety.
I have heard of others using marijuana while on tx, some were eating it in brownies vs smoking it.
Hopefully someone else will come along.
Your father is genotype 1, one of the hardest strains to eradicate.
I assume he has had HCV for a number of years?
And I can assume that he has been a drinker?
And is he still drinking?
I only ask because liver damage is exasperated by alcohol AND HCV.
I don't know what level of liver damage he has sustained, but drinking speeds up the damage.
After treatment, if successful and your father stays HCV clear (cured), depending on the amount of damage to his liver, he will need to think about If and how much he will drink in the future.
You may clear yourself of the virus, but your liver is still damaged.
I personally think, that if you stay alcohol free for a few months leading up to treatment, and stay off the grog during treatment, then the rest and recuperation you have offered your liver, will mean that after gaining SVR, a few drinks here and there will be OK.
If it can't be a few drinks here and there, then abstinence may need to be considered.
Remember, our livers will always be damaged by HCV. And, though we may not have the virus anymore, we are still candidates for liver disease, cancer and liver failure.