Hepatitis C Community
Best Hepatologist in VA/DC area

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Best Hepatologist in VA/DC area

I have a large tumor on my liver and am in the process of getting a diagnosis.  Since it is quite large, it seems like it will likely need t be removed even if it does not turn out that it is malignant.

Anyone know of a good Hepatologist in the VA/DC area? I am in Richmond, VA but would be willing to travel. Any advice is appreciated!
Hi there,

I worked in Richmond a bit years ago, but I’m from California.

I know Duke is a quite a drive, but if you can’t find anything closer you might call John McHutchison down there… he’s been published in many journals and is highly regarded in his field. Here’s a link for his contact number:

http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/john_g_mchutchison

If for some reason the link doesn’t work for you, his appointment number is 919-684-2052.

Hopefully, someone will step up with a closer referral. Do you have liver disease other than this mass they recently found?

Good luck,

--Bill
Thanks Bill.  No, I haven't had any other issues.  I also have no symptoms. This was found because I had elevated liver enzymes at a routine physical.  I then had an Ultrasound which showed the mass.  This was followed up with a CT scan and then an MRI today (which I am still awaiting the results from). The mass is 8 cm by 7 cm.  Yesterday the doctor told me that he was unsure what exactly it was and that is what led to the MRI today as well as a bunch of blood work. I have tested negative for Hepatitis.

So far, I have only seen a gastroenterologist, but I am getting anxious and wondering if I should go ahead and try to get on the calendar of a good Hepatologist.  

Thanks for the name of the Duke doctor.  I hope I can find someone good a bit closer, but will go there if necessary.  Appreciate your help!
What about the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville.  I know they have a School of Medicine there.  It's about 65 miles from Richmond to Charlottesville.

call 434-924-3627 or  1-800-251-3627
Hey, no problem, and good luck. The reason I asked if it was secondary to other liver disease is because primary liver cancer is very unusual outside of cirrhosis; so that’s something to be cautiously relieved about. Did the doctor discuss the possibility of this being a ‘hemangioma’? This is a normally benign mass that is fairly common, and often doesn’t even require intervention unless it causes pain or biliary blockage. Of course, it’s impossible to guess over the internet, but something to discuss with the medical team.

Perhaps you could call Duke and let them know what’s going on, and have them refer you?

All the best—

--Bill
Ah yes, Trin. And I think someone in here was being treated at UVMC in Richmond, too; now that I think about it.
dr ben cecil. he is devoted to hepatitis C treatment. google his name and check out his website.

best of luck
I think Ben Cecil is in Louisville, KY?
thanks bill. you are right dr cecil is in KY
Try Dr Vinod Rustgi in Fairfax or Georgetown Med Center. His website is metrohepgi.com  He is an excellent doctor.
You have one of the best hepatology teams right in your neighborhood. Mitch Schiffman and his team at VCU in Richmond are considered one of the best hepatology groups in the nation. They have treated some of my friends and all were extremely happy.
I think Shiffman left MCV?