Biopsy Blood Tests/ Liver Fibrosis Panel
I have decided I would like a more current picture of liver's condition before I start treatment. My only biopsy (needle) was 5 years ago. I don't want the needle test this time,but am interested in the blood tests they now have.
I understand there is a bit of controversy as to how accurate they are, but there is question about how accurate the needle ones are as well.
I have read about biopsy blood tests called FIBROSPECT, FIBRO TEST, AND FIBROSURE.  I called Quest where I always get my blood drawn and they have a test called LIVER FIBROSIS PANEL.  I asked her about the ones listed above and she did not know of those.
My question is ( for those that know) what is the difference between these tests, if ANY?  Are they the same test, just different names?
The Liver Fibrosis Panel consists of
HepaScore, GGT, Total Bilirubin, Hyaluronic acid, and Alpha Microglobulin.

Thanks ~Debbie~
Anybody know if all these are the same tests with the same kind of results?  My doctor is unavailable right now to ask. Or, am I just being a bonehead??  LOL
All I can tell you is the discrepancy between my last  fibrosure f4-cirhossis  and hepascore f2-f4  is what pushed me to biopsy  grade 1 stage 2   and then treat.  I was totally relying on the hepascore blood tests which I was having every 6 -9 months over a period of 2 years.  there was some progression but stayed in the f0-f1 range until the last one in March 2011 I decided to try the fribrosure which came back with the bad resut F4.  I backed it up with the Hepascore but was to vague  the f2-f4.    I really dont trust any of them but Over all most think the biopsy is still the most accurate test.  You could do the fibrosure/hepascore and see if there is an indication of any progression.  Where did you stand with the last biopsy?  Im sure you posted that already but I dont remember where it is.  Good luck with your decision.  It was  maddening for me.  Glad I dont have to worry about that ANYMORE!!

i've never had a fibrosis blood test. i have heard that the blood tests might be useful to differentiate cirrhosis from lesser stages of scarring, but are pretty worthless for differentiating stage 2 form stage 3.  i asked a hepatologist about these tests, and the answer was along the lines of "not worth the paper they are printed on."  some find them useful though so hopefully someone that actually knows something, unlike me, will chime in.
blessings
eric
I am doing the biopsy because it has been around longer and presumably specialists have become more adept at their interpretations of what they see.  In my profession I do a lot of testing and analysis.  The best tests seem to be those which have been around longer with a history of research data related to them and experienced clinicians who know how to "read" the results.  It is just not all that black and white and, in my view, the test is only as good as the individual who uses it.  I was looking at the Fibro whatevers and am being given that option but I think I decided that the biopsy would be better for me.  
Also, once I have a pre-treatment biopsy then, in my view, it stands to reason that the post treatment assessment would also be a biopsy for appropriate comparisons and not some other test in much the same vein as, say, using the same weight scale if one is on a diet.  
Also the fibrosure and hepascore dont use exactly  the same biomarkers to come up with their scores.  You can just google them and they will tell you what they use..