Hepatitis C Community
Biopsy Results

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Biopsy Results

I finally got my liver biopsy results today:

"-Chronic Hepatitis, moderately active (Grade 3/4) with extensive periportal and pericellular fibrosis (Stage 2/4).
-Mild increase in stainable iron within hepatocytes and kupffer cells."

STILL don't know my genotype, but assuming it is 1, any ideas on what I am looking at?  Thanks in advance for your help. ;)
  You're probably looking at a treatment that is best suitable for your genotype,this all depending on other factors not assessed about your overall assessment.Best wishes to you.
It means you are grade (inflammation) 2 out of 4 and stage (scarring/fibrosis) 2 out of 4 using the metavir scale

Metavir
The Metavir scoring system was specially designed for patients with hepatitis C.  The scoring consists of using a grading and a staging system.  The grade gives an indication of the activity or amount of inflammation and the stage represents the amount of fibrosis or scarring.  
The grade is assigned a number based on the degree of inflammation, which is usually scored from 0-4 with 0 being no activity and 3 or 4 considered severe activity.  The amount of inflammation is important because it is considered a precursor to fibrosis.  

The fibrosis score is also assigned a number from 0-4:
• 0 = no scarring
• 1 = minimal scarring
• 2 = scarring has occurred and extends outside the areas in the liver that contains blood vessels
• 3=bridging fibrosis is spreading and connecting to other areas that contain fibrosis
• 4=cirrhosis or advanced scarring of the liver

www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/grade_stage.pdf
It means that your liver damage is moderate, you have scarring, and it is beginning to change the structure of your liver and change the way the liver is functioning.  Depending upon what your hepatologist tells you and advises you, it is time to treat your Hep C and try to get rid of it in order to prevent further possible damage to your liver.
Advocate1955
Thanks y'all.  I'm having a mini-meltdown at the moment.  It's just all hitting me hard with each result.  My husband and I are very distant right now - probably my fault - and I feel like I'm letting everyone down by not being "available".  Still haven't told very many people (my folks included) and that is weighing on me.  I just need to get it over with.  Right?  I'm just so.......afraid.  It's the only word I can think of right now.  Afraid.  And alone.  And I hate it when I get like this.  
    It's ok take a deep breath and slow down. Everyone here has felt the same at some point. It will pass,I was diagnosed ten years ago and there are lots of good friends, relatives and co workers I have not told one of my reasons is I don't want people asking me how I am all the time I know that sounds cold but I just don't want it to be what my life is all about because it's not,so don't feel bad this condition is happening to you so take your time before you make your decisions. And you are not alone this site is full of people that can help you the knowledge and information on this site is remarkable.
The  new drugs being developed now are all very promising. The best thing you can do is to become informed and take care of yourself.
One foot infront of the other and breathe.
Wishing you the best
hopeful51
Thank you so much, hopeful.  You are right.  One foot in front of the other.  It's just so difficult at times.

Right before I read your message, I had a message from my doctor.  I am 1a.  So at least I have a complete diagnosis now.
You're in great shape! Thankful that they diagnosed you before it got too bad. It's a lot to take in, but you'll find lots of support here. The options are sky high. Are you working on a liver loving diet? Low sodium?
It's a big learning curve. I've been there. And survived. You will too! Karen:)
I haven't really made many dietary changes yet and, to be completely honest, my eating habits are not the healthiest.  If anything, I don't eat enough.  And I love my salt.  I didn't realize sodium was an issue with this disease.  

Are there any websites that address a healthy diet for hcv patients?  I can't really find anything specific.

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I'm trying to stay positive.  It's just difficult sometimes. :)
http://hepatitis-c.emedtv.com/hepatitis-c/hepatitis-c-diet.html

You will find this helpful.
The secret sauce that helped me stay healthy during my Treatment was making smoothies in my blender. I mixed the recipe up from week to week but the basic ingredients were apples,mango nectar, bananas, frozen mixed vegetables (low in iron). I also bought wheat bran in bulk and would mix that in sometime. You can invent you own recipe following the list of suggested liver healthy foods.
  You have picked a very good time to seek treatment, the past few years have seen major break though in more affective treatment with fewer side effects. The new treatments clear the virus in half the time than it took to clear just a few years ago. Take your time, educate yourself, find some support, preferably a group of people who are all in treatment who meet to talk about how they are feeling. These groups usually have a facilitator who has already completed treatment.