Hepatitis C Community
Blood Donation and Hep C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Blood Donation and Hep C

Hey guys, quick question. My mother has had hepatitis c for years now. I was tested as a child for it, and fortunately the tests came out negative for the disease. This past year I have became a blood donor, and everytime I donate my blood turns out to seem healthy and safe to be potentially given to someone else. Completely on accident, my mother and I may share razors occasionally . She said she would definitely dispose of any blades she may have bled on when I confronted her about occasional razor sharing. I have been shavin for years now, and The Red Cross claims that my blood is healthy and okay for future donations. I am definitely going to start buying my own razors to eliminate any further risk of contracting the disease. I know my mother would never do anything to put her children at risk for contracting the disease, but razors can get mixed up. I know symptoms of the disease can take years to develop, but the screening of my blood seems to be fine. My question is how at risk do you think I am to contracting the disease? And I appreciate you reading through all this. :)

People with HCV  are advised not to share razors, toothe brush ,nail clippers or any personal item that has the chance of getting blood on it...for the obvious reason.... that HCV can be transmitted if the blood of the infected person  enters anothers blood stream.

Yes...get your own razors  and you will not be at risk.

Will
Yes get your own razors, sounds as if your a little concerned you might already have HCV? Not to worry, they would have caught it through their screening............. Best to you and your mother

Cando
Yes - get your own razors, etc. & keep them seperate. The American Red Cross was very quick to inform me of my HCV, they sent me a letter along with copies of their test results and other info. The letter also informed me that I could never donate again. A simple blood donation has really turned my life upsidedown. Best to you and yours, Mike
Have you told the Red Cross that you live with a person who has hep C? I know they absolutely will not take blood from my husband who does not have hep C because he lives with me and I do ha ve it.. One should never donate blood in order to get a free test. I'm not saying you did that. But if you believe you may be at risk you should not donate blood.
IN ORDER TO GET INFECTED IT TAKES YOUR MOTHER TO LEED ON RAZORS AND SO DO YOU BOTH OF YOU WITHIN 36 HOURS
Thank you all for the responses.

I began donatin because I felt passionate about doing it. I have talked to them about my mother's situation and all. At first, they were weary about it but they ended up saying it was fine for me to donate as long as I am being as careful as I can for the remainder of the time that I will live with her, and I really do buckle down on keeping myself healthy because donating is important to me. I will keep tab on my own razors, and will keep them with my own other personals. Through The Red Cross is actually how my mother found out about her HCV, so they are familiar with her.