Hepatitis C Community
Blood Transfusion

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Blood Transfusion

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know I'm still hanging in here, been having a little trouble, first my body started hurting all over, joints swelling, terrible pain. Had to take pain killers and muscle relaxers for over 2 wks now it seems like my hands are still messed up but the rest is better, even my eyes were hurting Hemoglobin would'nt come back up (they had me skip a wk) messed me all up, so into hospital I go last Wed. for transfusion. 2 pts. Good part is I'm steadily gaining ground in right direction, it is so frustrating when things like this happen and they don't know what to say. The pain was from parathroid which was about 6 times what it's normally supposed to be, that supposedly caused all the pain, I couldn't take another 2 wks like that about drove me nuts, I actually cried when I tried to do anything. Still don't know anything about transplant, no donor yet talked to my sister Sunday night she didn't mention it. Other donor backed out. But for now I'm fine again, anyone ever have to deal with something like this? Hope all of you are doing good. Linda
Hi Kathy and all, yes hgb was too low never want to feel pain like that again, but am feeling much better after the blood. And Kathy thanks for the link, I had info on this but not in depth. Even my kidney dr. who I went to the first wk. told me that through all of this I had been upbeat and bubbly and that I looked really ill, which is bad for me cause most time you can't even tell I'm sick. Tx ends Oct 27th thank goodness, I need an appetite, I just plain can't eat, got bones sticking out everywhere I've lost close to fifty lbs. I know it's extreme. Thanks for the info again and I'm always lurking. Talk to you all soon Linda
Where there's hope, there always a chance. Even if a flame is dim, it still shines.

At 57 years old, the doctor told Frank Sinatra he had 1 or less years to live because his liver was pickled in booze. He never slowed down and lived to be 80.

John Wayne had cancer and was diagnosed as incurable with 3-6 months left. He lived for seven more years.

These two tales of beating the odds are two of many. Believe in the power of the mind. It is great. The mind can heal what some medicines can't.

My prayers are with you. You will be with us for a long time. Mark my words...

Magnum
Dang.  More problems.  I knew nothing so had to google....

"Parathyroid Function Quick Facts
The parathyroid glands monitor the calcium in the blood 24 hours per day.
The four parathyroid glands make more or less parathyroid hormone (PTH) in response to the level of calcium in the blood.
When the calcium in our blood goes too low, the parathyroid glands make more PTH.
Increased PTH causes the body to put more calcium into the blood.
Increased PTH causes the bones to release their calcium into the blood.
When the calcium in our blood goes too high, the parathyroid glands STOP making PTH--they shut down.
Calcium is the most important element for the nervous system, the muscular system, and the skeletal system.
This is why parathyroid disease (over-production of PTH) causes symptoms of the brain, muscles, and bones. "

So, Linda, my brain is saying, your blood got sooooo very low that the parathyroid gland detected a low level of calcium and made way too much PTH and it threw IT (the gland) out of whack.  Bummer.  I am wondering if, with the transfusion, it will all clear up and not be a problem.  This looks like an excellent web sight. Please keep a handle on this one, because it can cause osteoporosis.

http://www.parathyroid.com/

Linda, how much longer are you supposed to take the Interferon?  
I hope you get some resolve on the kidney transplant soon.
kathy
Sorry you have been through all this!! I wasn't aware you were having so many problems. Was your Hgb low? Are you feeling better? I hope you find a donor soon!!!!
Lurk along, ha ha.  I do that too latley -- have time to read, and then run out of time and don't post.  I am 6 weeks post tx as of tomorrow and feeling better - gaining weight - too much I am afraid.  You do need to gain so I am glad you don't have much longer to go.  I just hope that the kidney failure symptoms don't return after you are done.  

Yes, that parathyroid link was quite detailed.  I had no idea the calcium was regulated there.  You learn something new all the time. Take care, and keep lurking.
Kathy
My old boss (remember him?) came up to my desk yesterday and said "wow you have gainned weight!" and my first reaction was WHAT am I fat?????

Amazing. I was such a skeleton for so long - that now that I actually look BETTER I got all paranoid about it!

Now if my hair could get fat...then I'd be SET!  :)
yep - how could I forget that AH! We are weird about our appearance, aren't we. I bet you look great but he sounds like the type to do something to get at you, no matter what.  WHat a nerd with a capital N.  Don't let him get to you.  How much have you gained anyway (just kidding).
take care (did you watch Jerico tonight? - not sure if it's a keeper).  Getting excited about Battleship.
kathy