Blood from a cats claw
Basically what I want to know is if the cat were to get a pint of infected blood on his claw and then a day later scratched someone else if it would transfer? I would figure after a full day of the cat tearing across the house it would rub off, plus with him cleaning and grooming himself you wouldn't have anything to worry about. I also don't think blood cells could live just sitting on his claws for a day either.

I ask this because recently my nephew has been worrying that something like that could happen. Yesterday the kitten picked me (pretty sure it didn't draw blood or anything just a little poke) and then a full day later it tore up my nephews hand when he was playing with him--so he's sort of anxious to know if it's even possible for hep c to transfer that way. I've truthfully never heard of anything like that happening but it's something I wouldn't mind knowing myself.

Thanks.
I know it sounds so stupid but my dog was licking my cut one night and i kept trying to stop him and i was worried he'd get it somehow..........I know that is ridiculous and he can't but........waaaa I didn't want to harm him!  Stupid...stupid but true.
We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, which is fine since this thread is pretty much based on theory and opinion.  I re-read both of our post and I still stand by mine, as I am sure you still stand by yours.

My cats don't scratch, so I read this thread the other day with sort of an abstract interest, although I did leave feeling like a walking germ.
So, of course, my cat just scratched me. By accident, but I'm bleeding in 3 places.
So, here's my question, can I spread HCV in a pool? I go to physical therapy in a pool.  I have an appointment tomorrow. It's a heated saltwater pool that smells very "chemical-ly".  
There are lots of young children with disabilities who use the pool, so I have always assumed/hoped that there were many agents getting rid of whatever was in the water (use your imagination).  I don't want to take a chance of hurting the children or anyone else there, but I really do need to continue my therapy.
By tomorrow, these scratches will be scabbed over.  Is it safe to go in the pool?
After the discussion here, I'm not sure of what to advise you.

BTW - I recently moved just south of Albany.  Do you go to Albany Medical Center?  I'm going to have to find a local Dr. once my TX is done May 2.

wyntre
Most pools require all open wounds to be covered, but this is not specific to HCV.

I assume, since this is a public pool, that people with HCV, HCB, HCA, HIV and other health issues swim in the pool all the time.  

"Is it safe to go in the pool?"    Is it safe to get out of bed in the morning?

If it were me, I'd dress the wound with a waterproof tape, and to to physical therapy.
Between the wound dressing, the chlorine, the dilution in the water, and the blood-to-blood nature of transmission, I'd say that your chance of spreading your HCV is nil. In fact, according to this article -- the person who might be at risk is you --- assuming you haven't been vaccinated against Hep A. Not to mention other intestinal type diseases that have been transmitted through swimming pools.

http://www.hepcaustralia.com.au/news-archive/hepatitis-and-swimming-pools.html

-- Jim
Second paragraph should have read in part:  ".. people with HCV, Hep B, Hep A, HIV...
teehee, TOTALLY off topic, but with me name, I would SO love to go to Albany ...
I figured that!  :)

I see you're up in Canada.  Are you guys supposed to get the snow/ice storm over the weekend, too?

wyn
JmJm  - That makes sense - a waterproof bandage.  Should have thought of that. (I actually haven't been vaccinated against Hepatitis A, because I had it.)  Double fun for my liver.  Thanks!

Wyntre - I,m goin to try to send you a message....
Sorry about the last message - didn't proof it.  Oops.
Jim, an excerpt from the article you posted. (I am laughing so hard right now that I feel like my stomach is going to turn inside out,,I mean that too. My husband just came in to see why I am laughing so hard........Here's what made me laugh,,I'm tired so I get silly, but this is really tearing me up....

"Transmitted primarily by the fecal-oral route, hepatitis A infection can occur by swallowing pool water containing feces. Additionally, hepatitis A is a potential problem when large numbers of people congregate and where overcrowding and inadequate sanitation exist. Because hepatitis A is easily spread by raw sewage, it can become a danger in the recreational swimming environment when:

· >>>>>a person accidentally has a bowel movement in the pool <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
· sewage systems become overburdened from heavy rainfall or flooding and infects swimming waters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OMG!! Okayyyyy, come on Jim,,,, - you 'accidentally" spill coffee on your check book while writting a check,,,,you 'accidently' lock your keys in your car,,,,,you 'accidently' make a right turn when you were supposed to make a left,,,,BUT YOU DON'T ACCIDENTLY HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT IN A POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my stomach - I can't take it!!! I really can't. A person that 'accidently' has bowel movements 'here and there,' should know that they have that problem and not swim in pools!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean really,,,they made it sound like its a common occurence. They should have just left it when they said 'water containing feces,' cause then you would think some kid did it, yuk.

But this makes it sound like,,,,,,imagine you invited me over your house to swim and we're both hanging out and doing laps around the pool. Then at about noon, you say,,"Myown, I'm going to go inside and make us lunch - I'll be right out." I say "okay Jim, take your time. I'll just do some water exercises."

Then as you come back out into the yard. You say "hey Myown, you have some great strokes, were you on the swim team in school?"  I say "no Jim, I just have always been a strong swimmer."  Oh and by the way Jim, I just did a bowel movement by "accident" in the deep end of the pool." And you say, "hey no problem Myown, I have a special pooper scooper for when that happens to my friends,,  my friend Charlie left one in the shallow end yesterday."

OH help me, my stomach. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks that article is funny, but I'm dying here. My husband is laughing but I don't know whether he is laughing cause I am laughing so hard or he really thinks its funny too.

Well, I had a good release of seratonin tonight!

See ya later.

I guess you don't swim often (or haven't worked much) in public pools. Accidents happen with both children and the elderly. When I swim at the "Y" , I always try and avoid mixed "family" swims, sometimes known as the "yellow" sea. Fecal matter is very common in public pools. If you really want a good "laugh", why don't you google "public hot tubs health". If you do, and knowing you, I doubt you will ever step in a public hot tub again.

-- Jim
For more chuckles, google "fecal matter public swimming pools"

Here are a couple of starters:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/pools/poolfecalguide.html
http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/PREVIEW/MMWRHTML/mm5020a4.htm
now you all have done it. i will feel guilty every time a mosquito bites me or a cat scratches me or if i am week in a pool or if i break wind in public and god forbid i let my sisters birds get near me. does anyone no were i can by a hazard suit and a hcv infected person label on it.  lol.  :o)
awwwwwwwww.....kc, ya can't let it get to ya like that!  ;)

wyn
LOL. You realize that my point all along is similar to yours. One cannot live in a "hazard suit" nor should one let others tell them to do so. In fact, the point of my post to "JR" was not to worry about swimming in a pool. ("MO" picked up something else in the article and decided to run with it). Personally, I swim in public pools all the time -- just not at family hour. LOL. Public hot tubs, another story. I did develop an infection in the past from a public hot tub, and will now only enter one if compelled by the site of half naked young ladies.
i no i too live life as you stated. just my attempt at some humor.

p.s. ditto  :o)
Yellow sea???? Eww, no - public pools, not me. Work at one?? - are you kidding me?  I always would swim in my mothers pool, but now since she sold the house, its lake swimming more than anything. Oh my stomach still hurts. Jim, you should know me by now....I have never put my foot in a "public hot tub"-ever. My husband used to go into one after his racketball and I finally convinced him not to go into it anymore. I think the rash he got on his thigh helped convince him too.

And pleeeze gimme a break, I'm not saying people have to stop living or live in a bubble, but the person that wrote that article could have worded it a little bit better. It hit me funny as some things do at night when I am tired. But nope swimming in public pools - not for me. No poopy pools. The kicker though,,,,my dog loves to swim and my mothers pool was in ground so she would swim with me all the time. She could just walk right in. I think thats funny cause here I won't swim in a public pool, but I swim with my dog.LOL But shes my baby so that makes a difference. Plus she gets a bath all the time.
Here ya go...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3XZOUTXKDgk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1PmMFaVzbzc&feature=related
LOL!!!!!!  yeah well,,,, I'm not tired right now and I STILL think the wording
"accidently has a bowel movement" is funneeeee. Just saying, "Feces in pool," fits better.
It's the same thing (to look at and taste(utube) lol, but the wording seems a bit better)
Since people seem to be "accepting" the idea that things happen and there is
nothing we can do to stop it, such as kick the person out of the pool that has the brown stain on their bathing suit lol,,,well then I guess we are looking more and more
like a 3rd world country than what I already thought.
Now you've got me giggling over your scenario.  I didn't pick up on it when I first read it ... but now ......

JmJm - not to discount what you wrote - it was very helpful and I totally got your point, it's just that one bit that is too, too funny.  I probably have a twisted sense of humor.

By the way  - the physical therapy pool closed because of the snow, so the problem was avoided.  
i know how bad reptiles scratch..i raised monitor lizards for years as well as haveing some iguanas..my kids helped me all the time...we had  crocs,waters, blackthroats....lizards this size have very large claws that arn't retractable....while handling them (cleaning cages ,,re seting up cages..all that) we would almost always come out bleeding..they would scatch deep..and bite sometimes..i would pass the lizards to my kids to hold while i was working on stuff...we were carefull but it's just the way that hobby goes..lots of blood....i worry about the fact that they might have gotten infected from lots of different animals we work with...2 years ago they all tested negitive..that was real nice....billy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is funny(to me), but I know I have beeeeeeeyond>>>twisted humor, and not everyone appreciates it.  Glad to see you have a sense of humor!

I have parrots but they're perch trained and when their claws get too sharp I bring them in for clipping.

I guess you can't/don't clip reptile claws?

wyntre
about 3 years ago i got real sick and things fell apart...i got rid of my lizards...i didn't know i had hep and i wasn't taking care of it....i know birds can have real sharp strong claws...i had a conure and crows...and no i didn't cut nails on my reptiles...i never de fanged any snakes either...reptiles will tolerate you ..thats the most you can hope for..so you shouldn't do anythjing that might make them feel more uncomfortable..birds seem to do alright with clipping...billy.
A conure?  You're kidding?

Did all the animals find homes?

I know what you mean about being too sick to take care of them.  I only have 4 parrots after one recent death and one adoption, but they were a handful before TX and now it's sometimes very dificult.  But I only have 19 weeks to go.  i don't know whose gonna be happier when i'm done; me or them.  *LOL*

Hope you're doing better,

wyn

PS - I've heard crows are one of the most intelligent birds.  I have a friend whose a master falconer; he has kestrels, peregrines, arizonas, red-tails, gyrfalcons, snowy owls, horned owls, broadtails, coopers and yes, a couple of crows, too.
don't have time to read this entire thread...but I just wanted to add, if someone does have cats or kittens, and this is a concern...it's very easy to file the sharpest part of the claw with a small grade nail file...so the claw doesn't penetrate the skin, then no blood letting, no problems...course you only do the very tip...after awhile it grows back, doesn't harm the animal and all is well....

Lanier: As I've said before to you, you're welcome to your opinions and everyone is entitled to them, and you're, of course, entitled to disagree with Hepatitis Researcher...I just wish you would calm down your tone - whatever you say. He will probably get annoyed with me for even pointing this out to you....and maybe some other members will too, I'll take my chances...

I just feel he doesn't deserve to be belittled here.....disagreed with, okay, but not belittled...he's providing a service to many of us, and he is an MD.....he's also providing much needed to fibroscans to various members here, whoever needs them. He's a very kind man, and he's getting no compensation, at all, for being here. So yeah, disagree all you want and state your opinions, but leave off the unkind editorializing and characterizations please.

What foresee said, ditto. Lanier why do you have to be an a$$? Don't drive away the best person we have here with your "I'm such a naughty girl" eighth grade behavior. If you don't like reading what HR has to say, READ ELSEWHERE.
Lol, it is just too close to Christmas to have taken the chance to engage, but ditto! There are very few here who have the knowledge and skills to answer most of the questions put forth by all of us during these times of turmoil, especially in the beginning of TX and then through out the rest of TX as we “learn” what we did not know before about Hepc and all the aspects and research that has gone into it and then to be able to explain it back to all of us who are in need of help in understanding it. Riba syndrome can some times get us into jams because of other triggers not necessarily related to the topic at hand but none the less it happens from time to time and when the few start debating there is a wealth of information coming out you can’t get anywhere else. I don’t always agree with what they are saying, hell half of the time I don’t understand what they are saying at the moment, but in time it will eventually fit into place but it takes a lot of reading and deciphering along the way. Damn, looking around the room, where did that come from? :)

geterdone/jasper
I happen to agree with Lanier.  At least the first several words of his second paragraph.
I lived in California and in South Florida. I visited Canada a bunch of times. I still don't understand any of this. Mike
Well, that clears it up a little. But, I still don't know what you're really saying here. I'm slow today. Mike
what I was "saying" in the start of this "cat scratch" question was the information that heptoresearcher posted was like a math problem that nobody will ever use.  and I was alos say that the reality of being given this virus by a kitten scratch was about as high as the satilite from my cars GPS system falling on my car.  Now in another question the hepto-king gave dosage and mg of drugs for a person who was writing about their alcoholic father who had been in the hospital for swelling in the brain (spinal fuid, interstitial fluid in the lining of head generally speaking) WELL this person gave what was the eqivilant of a RX on this BLOG.  If I did that, I would lose my license in nursing and everything else, it is impossible to do number one, and number two it can be deadly.  I was flabbergasted he did it and then all these other people started telling me NOT to make him mad or he might GO AWAY.  well if he is taking such risks with people he has never seen or done any assesment on subjective or objective to me he is making an improper decison.  and anyone who does not like that go see a specialist on 8th street in dade county...it's about as acurate as Sanitoria.

Lani
I guess the riba has made me a bit slow...What is your point, did you get scratched by a cat? I'm confused..pro
I get it now. Thanks for the explanation. Mike
NO dear,

the start of this thread is a question about getting hcv from a kitten.  I got my gift long ago and far away at the age of 15-17 no kittens to blame only myself.
I'm sorry, but you're ranting a bunch of nonsense...firstly, he is not from Canada, God knows where you got that, he's lives here, in this dreaded California...Maybe he'll get pssed, because I know he wants a certain level of anonymity...but you know these highly sensitive viral load tests we all use? HE INVENTED SOME OF THEM. The main ones. They are used world round.

He not only has a medical degree, but an engineering degree, and has worked with the some of the most respected doctors in the hepatitis field...The reason he has all this data at his fingertips, is because he's busy trying to come up with more things we all will benefit from - as patients. He pores though every bit of data that relates to hepatitis, EVERY BIT that he can get his hands on....he has much more time to do this then most clinical physicians, because this is his GIG. If you think you're MORE knowledgeable, and learned.....and that somehow gives you a right to put him down like this, then you go ahead, because I think you're quasi-delusional. And I hope he does to, and considers the source.

I take youre point (one of the only points you have made of notable significance btw, to me at least) that some of this IS theoretical, and that no human being on earth can have absolute certainty of some of these things....not all things in medical science are absolutes...it's constantly evolving..... but he brings a considerable amount of experience and knowledge to his contentions, but he is the first one to admit that some of this is theoretical...but he's not just pulling facts out of his fundament.

Others here have disagreed with some of his opinions, but have done so civilly and with respect. The same respect that he feels for all of us, whether we have graduated from high school or whatever. He realizes that we all have something to bring to the table that you don't necessarily get from studying theories and scientific data. You see a bunch of other doctors doing this? I don't.

This is another reason he comes here, to hear what we have to say. I've seen him be a little bit frustrated, yes, but I have never seen him lose his cool or belittle anybody with spurious insults, the way you have done with him. I think there are people in this world who just can't stand it when they see a lot of people admiring anybody, plain and simple. But I think this has more to do with them - then the person that they are slamming.

And I know this has nothing to do with anything except your silly tangents, and I'm silly to even address it....but I can be a silly person...

We can be silly people here in California, so we like famous people in top positions, pretty dang silly...so we elected Arnold...but if you'll look at what has evolved in his administration Arnold has turned into a Democrat, for all intents and purposes...he tried to make his own election, and do away with a lot of statutes, etc, and turn California into a Republican run state...and it didn't work, we didn't let him do and end run around the heavily democratic legislature here...so he did some rethinking of what he wanted to accomplish here...if you don't believe this, look it up...get some facts behind a lot of your blithering...

California, a silly place, only the internet was innovated here, among many other things, so we can sit and bicker here about all this silly stuff...
I wrote this in like 3 minutes in a heated emotional state, so I'm sorry if it's barely readable.
forseegood,

In the thread where he was giving"medical"  advice to the daughter of the alcoholic, he said "here in Canada" so I guess that was a little "white lie" for his own sake.  I love California, but we have to all admit, you guys are the "free spirits" in so many senses of the word, and you are ALWAYS the first one to jump on me about this guy.  

Your budget and deficit are almost as big as the entire United States, you guys really do have a full plate you have to admit that.  Arnold got his job when you gave the boot to the last "crook" you guys elected.  Arnold is doing a great job with what he has to work with.  Arnold in NO democrat, I have seen him spoeak in Florida with our Republican govenor.  

I love lake Tahoe and skiing at heavenly, I love and San Diego, and San Fran.  I knew you would blow a gasket.  So be it.
whaaaa??? please don't give your mistaken impressions credence, at his expense, by calling him a "white lier" the man is really on top of his game for the most part....why you have so many issues with him is really beyond me, but I have my suspicions....I have had some lousy docs in my life too, but I sure wouldn't paint them all with the same brush....

Not the most mature thing to do and we're all adults here...I'd give my left foot for some of his brain power, and I am really pretty certain that he never said he was from Canada...you seem to have the same MO Lanier...you hurl all these insults at somebody, some of them with no merit at all....HR seems to be the lucky one lately...then you calm down and try to be civil, scratching your head at all the fuss...disagree with the man, but just to have some respect, he tries to do a lot for us, whether you agree with him or not....
forseegood the thread is here on this blog.  it is a question from a daughter whose alcoholic father has just come home from the hospital being treated for encephalopathy, and this man who you always jump on me about gives dosing and MG and medication recommendations to this daughter.  and he states "here in Canada you can buy it over the counter"  the thread is here.  

I am not making it up.  NO ONE asks how can he do this, instead the topic vears to other things and questions, I am sorry, but my license would be on the line for such thing and it was wrong and it could be fatal, we know nothing about this young girls dad, other than her laymans descriptions.  I am not making it up
Not sure if anyone has picked up on how aptly named this thread is, in terms of where it has gone.

Lanier, regardless if you disagree, if you speak with respect to people, they will in most cases return the favor. If you talk with a "cat's claw", you will get clawed back.

-- Jim
thank you.  I am a real B^I^T^C^H about being able to speak my mind.  I never meant to make so many haters, but you know I have at least 20 good friends who are Doctor's and not one of them has ever gotten Pissed for being asked a question or diagreeing with a perspective, it's called a professional conversation.  It is hard for me this "tone" thing, but at this point it really doea not matter a tinkers damn.  I have worked with hundreds of Doctors and have less than 50 that I would call and discuss medical issues with.  It's health care in 2007, everyone thinks we need to focus on getting it for the whole Nation, when in reality, we also need to focus on the people working in the field TODAY.  there are some real issues there, and more hidden than on the books.
thank you again
It's clear that you are not correct. Read the referenced thread. And, it's clear why out of hundreds of doctors only a small percentage will discuss medical matters with you. You mentioned professional conversation, miss class that day?
Not sure why you are thanking me because my point was that it was the disrespectful nature of your posts that are making so many people here mad at you. You could have expressed the same opinions in a respectful manner and still "speak your mind". I'm sure when you call up your 50 doctor friends, you don't start out by ridiculing their position on a matter of which you may disagree. I'm getting the impression that you may be new to this whole "blog" thing as you refer to it. MedHelp is not a "blog" where people can say whatever whey want, in whatever way they want. MedHelp is a "Discussion Group" where people -- in theory -- *discuss* matters in a civil manner. Big difference. If you want to open a "blog", there are many public blogs that will offer you space. There you can say anything you want about just about anything.

-- Jim

you don't get it...the man is not giving rx's here...he makes recommendations about certain things, but he hasn't done what you're accusing him of, he expects us to run everything by our respective docs, and he's just giving us his considered opinions...

you have this in your mind, and youre just not right, bring up the thread in question - if you're so certain of this...and he's not the one who got pissed at this latest "indiscretion" of yours, I did.....He's not telling you not to argue with him....where do you get that? Hurl all the insults at me you want, I deal with dogfighters on Utube and in real life... the challenges you pose to me, I can handle...all I'm asking is that you deal with him respectfully, that's all...

he's not getting paid to deal with your aggravation. Many of us just want to be able to hear his takes on things, to help make up our own minds on important issues. He's not saying he's the Holy Grail on anything and everything.

you get things all jumbled up...who has worked with "hundreds" of doctors, are you 85 years old? are you cloned? Really, hope this thread goes away or someone changes the subject.
Forsee: hope this thread goes away or someone changes the subject.
------------------
Maybe you'd like to discuss in more detail that "seal" thing over on the other side.
ok if having an opinion is "disrespectful" well I own it.  I did not ridicule I stated a fact that in healthcare goes without saying.  no dosing, no medical advice outside of a clinical setting, and that was my crime.  I really think my comments about the stats were truthful.  So many have no clue about cell receptors, and molocules, and surfactants and the writings are sometimes intimidating.  I have no doubt this person has a real knowledge of cell structure and statistical stuff that goes to mars, I could not hold a candle to his statistical library, but I just was saying sometimes it just seems so Goodness I do not know how to write it.  So I take back the Thank You and say jump on the hater wagon, I really have helped enough people in the real world to know who I am and if asking questions and making comments is wrong on a Blog and makes you disrespectful.  you guys are the ones in that boat.  I never heard from heptdoc until today every other time it has been you guys attacking me, when i NEVER ASKED YOU ANYTHING.
lanier: no dosing, no medical advice outside of a clinical setting, and that was my crime.
---------------
I think you have to be realistic what these forums are all about. If people simply wanted to follow their doctor's advice to the letter, there would be very little point coming here. And frankly, from what I've heard here, taking what your doctor tells you at face value, can often be detrimental to your health.

No, fact is, many of us chose to expand our knowledge base beyond what our individual doctors have told us. We do this by independent research, and yes, by asking questions here and getting *opinions* from others. Be it mostly lay people, or in this case an MD.

MedHelp clearly states " Information contained within this site is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your physician or other health provider for any questions you may have regarding your medical condition."

That makes a lot of sense. And this place should not be a *substitute* for professional medical advice, but it certainly can supplement it.

So, is it really necessary to repeat all that every time we offer an opinion on something? Is it really even necessary to state that it's our "opinion" -- although I tend to do that often after having been under similar attacks as "HR" for simply voicing my opinion.

As I have stated many times, anyone who doesn't take the time to independently verfify what the read on the internet -- especially when an important tx decision is involved -- is being foolish. And, personally, I extend that to my own personal doctors, who I consider among the best, but still fallible.

You've already admitted you have a problem with "tone". Well, I think that's what it's all about, not the fact that you don't have a right to voice your opinion. But "tone" is very important, especially when you can't see the other person you're talking to. Because without a civil tone, discussion on the internet becomes near impossible, and we end up with threads like this which really don't provide anyone much useful information.

-- Jim

i am not going to try and be personal.  let me tell you about b-4 during and after my tx.

i am a veteran from the vietnam era and am not real sure were i got my hep-c from.  i am a geno-1a w/3-4cirosis and fatty liver issues, and was told by doc form apprx 1985 to 2005 that tx could wait. when va finally employed a hepspecialist he said i should get more extensive test to see were i am in my hepc, and low and behold i was more advanced as you can see than the other docs previously told me. so after more test the hepsplst wanted me to start tx that va was offering called the "ideal study".  i tried to get in to that study but could not because of my fatty liver issues and high sugar levels.  so the hepsplst said that he would not treat me until the issues i told you about were dealt with first.  i thank god every day that i did not take that advice and run with it. i got on the internet and did my own research and checked into groups such as this one and decided ( as suggested by many in this group ) to get a second opinion.  being on a limited income i paid out of pocket to see another hepsplst in kansas city, missouri, and this splst told me that i should get treated and that NO MATTER what my other issues were they could be treated while my tx for hepc was on going ( as stated by some in this very group ).  i took my info to my hepsplst at va and explained to him that i wanted tx started.  he said in no other terms "NO". and ( as staed by many in this group ) i did not accept this answer and told the splst that i would go above his head to receive my tx.  he said fine he wont be the one to treat me. well after a process of pt advocate the chief of staff and even the director and the doc i got the second opinion from  the splst was told in no uncertain terms treat mr kcrandy :O). i later found out that the splst did not think my response would that good with the issues i stated from above and as he and i and a lot of other people found out i responded very well.  i was given peg-inf 180mc a week 1200 riba a day and after 12 weeks became und until my 56th week when i ended my tx. i have been called an anomoly by the docs at va and the nurse practitioner, all due to my good response to tx.

i say all of this because had i taken the advice given to me from the splst from the beginning my liver would be in sad shape today.  the liver splst and even the nrs pctnr have admitted that they will be more open to the idea of tx to vets needing it with other questionable health issues.

lanier  believe me i am a layman but i can tell you that everyone from hepsplst to jmjm,alagirl,kcmike,grandma,nygirl,ladyl  and many i have not mentioned have offered advice or have shared thier expierence strengths and hopes with me.
and i listen and absorb all that is freely given and i take what i need and i leave the rest for someone else who might need it.

to question someone does not seem to be a problem but what i have learned in life is that to be judgemental is to be judged. believe me i am not perfect by no means i say all of this with expierence and personal knowledge. i am a defensive person by nature and i question authority as well and sometimes to even being offensive.

from my standpoint!

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones