Hepatitis C Community
Blood in Urine

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Blood in Urine

I have Hep C but have had it for 30 years or so and I have no symptoms and my levels are normal. Last summer, I had blood in my urine and the dr sent me to have ultrasounds, c scans all normal, few small kidney stones. I started having extreme pain and it ended up being shingles awful pain. Long story short.. I keep seeing blood in my urine more and more frequently. I have no pain, could this blood in urine have anything to do with the hep C? Thank you all.
I don't recall seeing kidney problems (and kidneys are likely source of blood in urine) associated with HCV, but haven't read up on HCV signs for a long time.  Follow up with your nephrologist.    
Right before I started treatment my urine was so dark that it looked like blood.  My doctor told me that it was my liver acting up.  I got stuck in the hospital for the weekend before TX and the nurses had no idea and asked if I was on my period.......I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago.   I never had any kidney problems tho.

Good Luck and I would get myself to the doctor to get it checked out.

Denise
You need to visit urologist. He will take all necessary labs and do the tests to figure out why there is blood in your urine.

This is disturbing symptom that has to be investigated. I don't think this has anything to do with hepatitis C.
I mirror you with HCV for 30 or more years and I have a long history of kidney stones. Some years I'd get 5 or 6 !  I'm very familiar with the associated pain and passing blood. Not saying this is the cause of yours. Defiantly go with the doc's advice. I passed blood, not dark urine, but blood. From bright red to purple, depending on how much oxygen, ie how old the blood was, and half congealed blobs of blood. By accident I found out for my type stone, soft and crumbly (believe me when they are passing from kidney to bladder and out, that seems like a very relative term), if I drink lots of water it flushes the kidneys b4 this type condenses out. My rate dropped to once a year then none for the last 7 or 8 years(?)
Until, starting treatment.
I think what happened was ... B4 stones I didn't drink too much fluid at all, so lots of water required to reduce the number/eliminate them wasn't really the lots of water HCV treatment requires me drink today. I need to drink a GALLON of water a day! haha I have gills now. Anyway maybe it dislodged an ancient hanger on.  But it definitely was a stone. I saw it (in three parts, should have taken pics to share :))

If you get stones. Relief can usually be had by drawing a tub of the hottest water you can stand, laying on the side that bothers you until the water cools, about 20 minutes. Almost instant relief, and it generally lasts for another 20 minutes. If you are in enough pain you'll do this all day and be happy about it. My theory is the heat expands the organs, and allows easier passage of the stones. At least for the soft crumbly types, the rock hard types that attach themselves to the wall of the kidney, can't say. Should get pain relief though.

Are you being treated for Hep C?
In your bio you said you like Merlot. Usually, like almost always, consumption of liquor in any form is strongly recommended against. So are high fat foods, ... like chocolate ... and caffeine ... in some chocolate's. On rare occasions though .. they say it's ok.

Search : Liquor and hep c
chocolate and hep c

Hope this is of some little help. Don't believe any of it (except the hot water thing) in lieu of a doctors advice.

All the very best.
James
Call the doc--

Bill