Hepatitis C Community
Blood on food

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Blood on food

I posted a similar question on the HIV forum and they said that eating food that may have blood on it is not risk for HIV, but I am wondering about hep c. If someone making my food or serving my food had got blood on it and I ate it, is there a chance of me catching hep c? I should mention I often bite my cheeks and have chapped lips. I know the CDC say its not a food borne illness, but what if there is blood on the food. I also have a family member with hep c, so I am concerned. Thank you for your time.
  No, this is not a risk factor.  The reason I.V. drug users get it so easily, is because they are taking a little bit of the virus, and using a syringe to inject it directly into the vein.  

Thank you for your quick response, that is how my family member got hep c, through IV drug use. So even if I have sore in my mouth or my lips or cheeks are bleeding from biting them, there isn't a chance of me getting hep c from eating food that may have some blood infected with hep c?
I see you posted on the OCD forum. I think you should focus on getting help for OCD because that is your problem.

Good luck.
Yes, I did post in the OCD forum and I just started taking Zoloft on Wednesday. But I am truly concerned about this because I do have a family member who has hep c. I would just like to know if this is a risk factor. Thank you.
  No, the risk factors in house-hold contagion are
as follows:  dont share tooth-brush, razor or nail-clippers.
   I get OCD thoughts like this also, becuz I have family member with Hep C also, but I just put the OCD thoughts out of my mind. Seeking reassurance about it rly doesn't help, but I have also done it myself, so I feel for you :/