Hepatitis C Community
Blood test for Genotype

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Blood test for Genotype

What is the test called that determines one's genotype?  I had been erroneously told by my dr. that a biopsy was needed to determine genotype, and I would like to tell him, as I'm going for follow-up bloodwork on Friday.  Many thanks!
I don't think a dr could ever be that stupid to say that mistake.

Most likely it was a misinterpretation or misunserstanding of what was said.
Hmmm. Nothing surprises me anymore. You find out your genotype by a simple blood test. You find out how much fibrosis (liver damage) you have by a biopsy. If your doctor has it backwards, maybe time to look for another.
I believe that the test you need to ask for is a PCR which as far as I can tell is a test to measure viral load and type etc.

Looking for another doctor would be my first course of action if he seriously meant that a biopsy was necessary to determine genotype.
It is very common for patients to misinterpret what their dr said.

I am sure that the dr was referring to liver damage not genotype when mentioning biopsy. Maybe genotype was mentioned in the following sentence and the information got blurred.

It is also common for doctor's to not know what they are talking about when it comes to Hep C, it doesn't suprise me he would say such a dumb thing. You can't believe some of the dumb things doctors and nurses have said to me about Hep C.

You need an RNA DNA PCR(polymerase chain reaction)test.
PCR is commonly used in medical and biological research labs for a variety of tasks, such as the detection of hereditary diseases, the identification of genetic fingerprints, the diagnosis of infectious diseases, the cloning of genes, paternity testing, and DNA computing.

This is the test that determines both your genotype of virus and also your viral load.

If the doctor said that to you, I'd strongly recommend you find a doctor who knows which end is up with Hep C because if he said that, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

The liver biopsy is the definitive test to determine your level of liver damage if you have any. That is very important information for you and will help you determine how to proceed.

Best of luck to you, check back and let us know what your biopsy results are.