Hepatitis C Community
Bumpy Tongue & Dry Mouth

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Bumpy Tongue & Dry Mouth

Hi There - trying to figure out why I've been on treatment for 21 weeks already and am JUST finding this helpful forum!  Could really have used a community to discuss back around weeks 5-10 when it was really hard.

Am on the Boceprevir-Ribavirin-Interferon combo-pack and have noticed that when side-effects start piling up, I begin to get not only the craziest dry-mouth (especially at night) but my tongue gets all bumpy and hurts and feels like its cracking at time.  Which then makes it difficult and painful to swallow.  It tends to go away after about and hour being up but, goodness, it's so strange!

Have tried Oral Balance (as recommended by the Liver specialist) but that only works for about an hour to keep the mouth moist and then it all dries up again, not to mention it makes me over-salivate.  

Suggestion!?
Biotene products are great. Use the gel at night.
Also, be sure you're drinking lots and lots of water.

Good luck.
Lots of water... oh yes... I have a very 'healthy' relationship with the bathroom!

Will see if I can find Biotene - that sounds familiar - may not be available in Canada, though.  I think that's why the doc opt'd for Oral Balance.
Well I have had forty weeks of mouth sores...ugh You can get a mouth wash from your doctor, it's called magic mouthwash. It helps for a little bit but not for long. They were bad the first few months then they went away and now they are back and seem to not be going away. They will when this tx is completed. I have had every side that anyone could possibly have so just post me if you need anything.  I am soooo ready for this to be over.. Hang in there..God Bless us all on our journey
Luv
Patches
Acidopholus worked on the sores on my tongue.
Good luck~
Hi Macrina, I carry around one of those insulated cups with a straw  filled with ice water.  I drink at least 6-8 a day.  I think they are 20oz.  I am hoping this will help.  Will have to research the biotene products mentioned by orphanedhawk.
Welcome to the forum, there are lots of knowledgble and treatment savy people here more than happy to help with any questions you may have.

I haven't had the mouth sores so I have no advice but I do try to stay hydrated, at least half my body wt in oz of water per day it really helps with the side effects

Have a great evening
welcome to the forum.  we're all here to help each other in good times and in bad. i'm sure you'll find that their are a lot of caring people here.  good luck with your treatment.  i just finished 48 weeks last friday.  life is getting better everyday.  best wishes.  belle
I am on Boceprevir, week 16, and I have settled on Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil tooth-paste and mouth-wash.  The tea tree kills mouth fungi, and their products dont burn.
Greetings, I have not had to many mouth problems but as soon as I feel an irritated spot I use biotene mouthwash. Next morning the irritation is gone. Also I use biotene toothpaste. Had teeth cleaned the other day and MI paste was recommended. All the minerals we are missing out on in our saliva can be replenished by putting this paste on teeth for 5 mins. I still need to research this.

Me, week 8, boceprevir.
Cheers,
C
Welcome to the forum! I can add one more product suggestion: Biotene chewing gum works great! It it's not available I bet even a plain no-sugar gum would help somewhat.
Products that don't burn = liking very much!  Toothpaste has been a real trigger... along with salty items and anything with even a bit of a bite (including mustard).  So, all these have been cut out of the diet and that definitely keeps the irritation down.  Also, despite the fact that oranges were recommended for the metalic/medecine taste, the high acidity tends to cause more mouth sores and cankers so I avoid citrus fruits as well.

Thank you everyone for the suggestion on the water.  Like srw920 I drink about 2.5 litres a day - or try to - out of one of those straw-cups.  For some reason it's easier to consume that much water with a straw.  Has definitely helped tame a lot of side effects and it's noticeable when I haven't reached my quota for the days cuz things seem to get a little out of sorts.

And Patches, am totally with you on wanting this to end.  At least once a week my poor husband has to listen to me whine, "if I have to take another pill I'm going to scream!" and then, with childlike submission, take 5 more pills....  It's hard not to feel 'normal' for so long and I can appreciate the suffering so many others go through for whom this is their life, not a temporary state of being.  Thankfully, I've got 7 weeks to go and then it's just a matter of getting things back in order.

God bless us all!

I just developed a blister on the gum where do I buy that mouth wash I use regular mouth wash this is very up setting never had any sore in my mouth could it be from the Vintrulus or Ribavarin or Inerfon?