Hepatitis C Community
CURED!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

CURED!

Well I like to use that word anyway.  I just got my results from my PCR one year post treatment and it's NEGATIVE!

For those that don't know me, Im 46 and was 1b. I did the pegintron treatment last year.  I was diagnosed in 1997 after I donated blood, but there wern't any credible treatments around then, so I waited.  Luckily I had minimal liver damage, just inflammation and a low viral load of 500,000.  The treatment was quite debilitating, but bearable.  

This time six years ago I thought my days were numbered and my chances of ever being a happy normal person again were nil.  I feel great now and am enjoying life again with my family and friends.  Hope I can give encouragement to others just going down this road.
Thank you for sharing your great news with us.  I'm SO happy for you!  Your story certainly gives hope to people like me who are just starting out on this frightening journey.  You have my very best wishes for continued good health and much happiness.

God Bless You...

Susan
That is wonderful news!  Congrats!!  It does inspire me, I'll tell you that.  I have had a tough time of it lately with low wbc and rbc and generally feeling whooped.  Everytime I hear of someone making it through tx with excellent results I get excited!!  I am a 1a so it is always in the back of my mind wondering if the tx is doing what it is supposed to do.

I am so happy for you!!  God has blessed you!!
You are a winner Beth.Thanks for encouraging us.
Thanks for sharing your story.  Mine is similar but I have eight more months until I can use the "C" word.  I too found I was "infected" from a blood test and spent a couple of years in limbo waiting for the next generation treatment.  Hopefully in eight months I'll be glad I went down this path.
Great news. Congratulations to you. Be well. Mike
Congratulations and thanks for the encouragement. Those of us just starting out appreciate it. It's great to hear the success stories.
Congratulations! I hope I will be in the same situation soon! (1b, week 47 of Pegasys/Rebetol treatment)

Foreign girl.
Your news certainly is encouraging. Thanks for sharing it and continued good health.
Thank you for sharing such excitement! God Bless you and a long, full life to you.    Joni
How sweet it is!!!
These post are the ones we all need especially the 1's. You must live on now and have a wonderful life.
Love, Peace, and Happiness
GREAT!! I START MY TX TOMMOROW. JUST RECIEVED THE CALL, I'M EXCITED AND SRARED AT THE SAME TIME. I IMAGINE EVERYONE OUT THERE HAS FELT THE SAME WAY. I'M SO GLAD TX WAS GOOD FOR YOU, GOD BLESS STAY HEALTHY . JILL
Congrats to you and thanks for sharing and giving us more hope.

Jill, Good luck to you tomorrow. I know your scared, so was I but it was a breeze compared to the waititng to start. LL
I, too, am SVR 1yr post-tx.  I, too, consider myself cured.  Altho 2b, I went into complete liver failure before even tested for hep c.  I was told I would be dead by now, b/outlived every prediction.

I feel so good now.  Energy high, out look positive, making plans 2 yrs in the future now.

Altho still ESLD, I am so releived I went the tx and lifestyle way, instead of giving up, not treating or trying for a transplant.

I have no idea what my life expectancy is now, b/I know my liver damage has halted and it feels as if active healing is going on.

BethUK congrads and don't quit your new found good habits!!
congratulations that is so encouraging. i'm so glad you made it through all the odds. this is hope for all of us. i was just reading the information givin me with the meds. (just started tx). it says for people over 40 and overwieght (me) the odds of clearing go from 60% to 49% for my genotype. so i was sad today. but, your news gives me hope. thanks.
Great news Beth!  So glad to hear the positives.  Hope you are doing well otherwise.  Any leftovers from tx?

Kim
Thanks much for your encouragement it really helps. I relate to what you said as in 1998 I was dx and got no help from those docs at that time. I went into a hopeless slide and figured my life was over until I found new doc this year and started tx. I quit thinking how I wanted my obituary to read. Yes, positive attitude!
Bill
YEA!!! Great News Beth...I was wodering how you were..
Congratulations,
Jodi

CONGRATULATIONS
JOB WELL DONE. I HOPE I CAN DO THE JOB JUST AS WELL.THANKS FOR GIVING US HOPE. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
Congratulation! Live your life happy and in good health.
Any sides from tx after one year? How is your emotional status?
Dheana
Congrats all SVRs!!  Dont despair, LVDBYGOD, I am over 40 (54) and overweight (160-170) 5'6", Im a 1b, and at 14 weeks was SVR, I NEVER thought negative about this tx, always knew it was gonna work on me.  When my biopsy results didnt come back (at least dr didnt call 'til 2 weeks later), hubby asked me wasnt I concerned?  And I said no, whatever it says I gotta live with it, Im going to tx it, that's that.  So my advice "NO NEGATIVE THINKING" I have seen what positive mental outlook does, in my own life, and others as a nurse, and its AMAZING! what people can accomplish just by being POSITIVE!
I've e-mailed you but would like to congratulate you "in public" too! Cheers!
I'm a 1b guy, 21 weeks into a 48 week tx and you are an inspiration to me when I hear good news like yours.  Makes me want to keep banging away with the tx even when I feel rather uninspired.  Good news for you and hopefully good news for us!
Happy Day for you.  we all hope we will reach SVR  too.   its great to have people to share the journey with.  blessings.....
I am SOOOOO happy for you Beth!  There is life after TX!
Deb
Hi, Beth,
Hearty congratulations on graduating to CURED status.  What sweet music, those words.  I hope you have your energy and everything back after the tough fight you'd had.  Time for good times again.  Does tx really seem like a foggy memory at this point?  I sure hope that's what follows.  
Best wishes, Maj Neni
Fantastically Great News! CURED is the right word and I'm soooo happy for you!  -Michael
I loved the way you said "I'm 46 and was 1b"  how cool is that!! Congrats to you and thanks for that great message.

Lori

Beth,
Such good news, so happy for you.  Congradulations....hurray.  Now enjoy.

Forgien Girl,
Hang in, I remember when you first starting, I had just ended.  I pray for the best for you and you are almost finished...hurray

Take care
That is the best news, Beth, congratulations! I have always enjoyed your posts and am really glad you share this!

Kathy
OH YEAH BABY!! THAT'S THE KINDA NEWS WE ALL WANT TO HEAR!! i'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!
What a ride, eh? Tx was rough but it is becomming a distant mamory faster than I thought it would. I am recovering well too. I will get my 1 yr post tests in February.
So...have you turned back into a young "hottie"again? I imagine so. My hair has grown back and I am almost back to my starting weight now. At 52 I don't get many compliments anyways, but the other day this young babe hollered at me "Hey stud"!! I immediately thought....she thinks I'm hot....I am truely recovered from tx. BUT then she says..can you move your truck?? (I had her blocked in) Ah well...I can dream.
We had some good times on our tx time....even though Peg/Intron really sucks in the sides dept. But it WORKS....and that's what matters.
Congratulations.......I am glad to have had the opportunity to spend some "TIME" with you. You are a special person that I will never forget.
Best of luck to you and your family............
Hi Beth, I am very happy for you & glad you feel so full of energy. I bet your loved ones are ecstatic as well. Toward the end of November my six-month post TX test is due. Hopefully I will have good news to share with you. It seems there is a statistically higher number of TX responders on this forum ---- maybe we all helped lower each others stress level & we became more treatment responsive. I know I found your posts to be very helpful many times during my treatment.
All my very best!!!!
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

No I dont have any lingering problems post treatment mental or physical.  I was harping on about brain fog a couple of weeks ago but had a conversation with four of my 40+ girlfriends that night - they were all moaning about forgetting stuff all the time - I think it's just our age!

Eydeas - your SVR day will come.  Keep up with the FF songs!

Indiana - Treatment does seem like a foggy memory yes, but I remember laughing a lot reading your posts!  It was fun going through it with you.   Depression wasn't an option reading about all your cow tipping, computer burning, bike smashing antics and your "poor me" face!  If you ever come to England you must come and meet britgirl and me!  I pop down to see her London for a celebratory lunch now and then!

I'll still be lurking here, its a hard habit to give up!