Hepatitis C Community
Can Hep C be false negative?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Can Hep C be false negative?

I have had elevated liver enzymes for over six months now. In addition I have upper abdominal pain, itchy skin, sore lower back, headaches and fatigue. I am certain I have Hep C infection but have tested antibody negative out to 9 months after my risk incident . I have tested negative for HIV out to 9 months after the same incident but I am afraid that I was co-infected with both viruses at the same time and it is causing a delay in antibody development. If I have Hep C which I am quite certain I do, then I must have HIV as well. What else could be causing the delay in antibody response?

Hi there..... there is instances when someone infected with HCV will test antibody neg. and I believe it is more prevalent in someone that is also HIV positive.. up to about 10%.
However this would be unlikely because you have tested HIV neg.
If you want to be definitively sure have the doc do a HCV/RNA by PCR test ,to relieve your fears.

Good luck

Will
I have tested HIV negative but could that not be a false negative also do to co infection at the same time?
I'm sure you know this but your elevated enzymes could be related to something else besides HepC.  Could be you are mistaken and you haven't been exposed to either of the viruses or you were exposed but escaped unscathed.  Consider yourself lucky and join the "don't worry" club.   
It is hard not to worry when you have upper right abdominal pains, elevated liver enzymes , itchy dry skin, numb hands and feet and no energy.

The only way to be 100 % sure is to have the PCR test for hep c .If it comes back negative ,as it most likely will because of the neg. antibody  test ,then you will know definitively that you have not contracted either disease.

Good luck..
Will
Would you do the PCR RNA or the DNA test and would it be accurate so long after infection or is it only valid early on?

Personally I would do the PCR test for Hepc. It is very accurate. The HIV antibodies test you had is also extremely sensitive and accurate.Then you would know you had not contracted either.

The time frame on the PCR  doesn't" matter as long as it has been over 2 to 3 weeks from possible exposure it will be accurate.The amt .of time gone by does not matter either,if virus is there it will show up.

again...given the 2 neg. tests you have had .it would be remote you have either disease...but to relieve your concerns  ..have the test and then you can move on.

Best

Will
PCR DNA or RNA? there are two types of PCR test
HCV/RNA by PCR

If you have a 9 month neg antibody test for hep C and Hiv, then you are certainly

neg for both from that exposure (whatever it was) and any risk prior to that.

What was the risk, if I may ask?  If sexual, Hep B is a possibility.  have you been tested

for that?  I would not waste my money on a Pcr test for Hep c or Hiv if I had a 9 month

neg antibody test.  

Pcr tests are VERY expensive.  A 9 month neg antibaody is Gold for Hep c and Hiv.

I would ask for the antibody test for Hep B, if I were you.
No I can't imagine a doctor writing a script for a PCR when somoene has already show negative for antibodies all this time.  You dont' have hepc.

You would not really be showing chronic symptoms if you have only had it such a short time - unless you were in the acture phase which has passed by.  Dry skin is dry skin, upper right Quadrant pain is probably IBS etc etc. maybe you have gallstones or something I dont know about but hepc is very, very, very, very unlikely and you should move on from it.
Even with my elevated liver enzymes for 6 months and abdominal pain? Could HIV co infection not delay the testing period?
How elevated are your enzymes? You do know many other things can influence your liver enzymes aside from HCV. Gallbladder I think can and that is supposed to be very painful in your abdomen. Generally someone newly infected would have no way to say their liver was hurting the liver does not have nerves in it to feel 'pain' that is why we get biopsies that dont hurt.

But someone newly having gotten hcv, unless they get sick in the acute stage, wouldn't have really any way to know as per 'symptoms'.  It would be extremely unusual.

You dont have HCV but there is a whole list of other things you might have that should be checked out.
You posted a month ago and wouldn't take no for an answer of the HIV forum after testing "negative for HIV repeatedly at 3, 4, 6, 8 months after a high risk encounter." (Vaginal sex. Which is one of the least likely ways of acquiring HIV). Medhelp threaten to remove you because of your persistent questions and your inability to except any answer other then you have HIV.
Now you have come to this forum asking the same questions related to Hepatitis C. No matter how many times you ask the same question the answer won't be different. So it is either everyone else is wrong and all your test results are wrong OR you are mistaken in believing you have either illness. Reality check. What are the odds?

Go forth and spend your time learning about practicing safer sex or having no sex and then you won't have to worry about it again.

Hectorsf
yeh but say you u did the pcr 12 yrs ago will it still be sensitive enough to pick up the virus in the window period
will a pcr done in 1999 be sensitive enough to pick up hcv in an indeterminate anti hcv in the window period of 3 months