Hepatitis C Community
Can Hep C go away

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Can Hep C go away

Just yesterday my mom calls me to say that she doesn't have Hep C anymore. Obviously I thought that it was impossible to go away. Earlier they toll her that she had it for a very long time and now it's just gone.
Please someone tell me if it's possible.

Plus she hasn't taking any treatment at all and it's gone. PLus shes a very ill person so her immune system is not the strongest.
PLease help
i have read of this happening, although very rare.
I have yet to hear of anyone who had HepC - to not test positive for HepC antibodies.

I could be wrong - but I just don't think it goes away completely --- I have not heard that there is a "CURE" for HepC yet.

But I'd love to know -  cause I'd love to have hope that I will one day be able to donate my organs, etc.

This happened to a good friend of mine - she spontaneously cleared after having the virus for many years.  In her words "They can't find it".  I believe It can happen - but I'm always worried that her virus is just being suppressed somehow and that it could always resurface.  But maybe that's as good as it ever gets(?).
Yes, your body can clear itself of hep c.  I had hep c...saw my hepatologist a few days ago and they said my body had cleared itself of the virus.  The female doc that gave me the news said it was a first for her.  My hepatologist then came in to give me the good news "again" and said it does happen in up to 10% of people with hep c.  I was so afrraid of the interferon treatments and feel very blessed.  
I have had Hep C for 10+ years. I have never received any treatment for the virus. I changed my PCP because I moved recently and he did blood work and tested for HCV. I got my test results back today. They were negative  for Hep C. I don't understand how this could happen. I will get a second opinion but if this true.... I don't know I am still in shock.
did you have a test to determine your viral load 10 years ago? it may be possible that you tested positive for HCV antibodies. 20% infected with HCV clear on their own, however will always test positive for antibodies.....that could be a possibility?