Hepatitis C Community
Can I take something for a cold??
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can I take something for a cold??

Knowing that Flu like symptoms were a side effect, I did get a Flu shot in August, prior to tx.  Today, right now, I really feel like I am fighting off a cold or Flu.  Can I take something like Nyquil but without alcohol???  Thanks.  Just took the day off sick yesterday, and don't want to be out tomorrow.  Wanna feel better but starting to want my Mommie :(
Blank
Nyquil is pretty much an antihistamine, a decongestant, a pain reliever like tylenol and of course alcohol. I take Allegra D (an antihistamine and decongestant) and motrin because I cannot take tylenol. I have had a cold or a mild version of the flu at different times since starting tx (am better now). I wouldn't take anything without talking to your doctor but the allegra d was deemed ok by my dr and it is now OTC. I know it is ok with peg+riba+ and incivek. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!
G
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1815939_tn?1377995399
I do not take any medications that I have not run past the pharmacist and/or my doctor (who runs it past the pharmacist). The triple meds interact with so many medications that I would be afraid to take anything until I had checked with the pharmacist and doctor.

Here is a website that shows interactions. You can put in all of the meds you are on and then add a new med and see what the reactions are (if any).

However, I still would not take anything without checking with my doctor and/or pharmacist.
Blank
1711722_tn?1356491154
Thanks Pooh!  Hadn't thought of the pharmacy, but I do have an email in to my nurse.  On the chance she could not get back to me today though, I figured I would ask others here, who may have had similar experience.  You have reminded me though, that I do need to update the specialty pharmacy on some recent med changes.  Take care.
Blank
1748829_tn?1338040641
So what's the website link Pooh?
Blank
1815939_tn?1377995399
Oops. I am sorry. I forgot to paste in the website. (I am blaming it on the meds, LOL.)

Here is the link:
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

I do look up my meds on that website but I also check with my doctor and/or the pharmacist before adding anything.

Blank
Nyquil is pretty much an antihistamine, a decongestant, a pain reliever like tylenol and of course alcohol. I take Allegra D (an antihistamine and decongestant) and motrin because I cannot take tylenol. I have had a cold or a mild version of the flu at different times since starting tx (am better now). I wouldn't take anything without talking to your doctor but the allegra d was deemed ok by my dr and it is now OTC. I know it is ok with peg+riba+ and incivek. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!
G
Blank
1711722_tn?1356491154
Hadn't thought of taking Allergra.  I am already cleared to take it during tx, so thanks.  Just wonder if it would help the fever?  I am drinking water too.
Blank
1711722_tn?1356491154
Hi everyone.  Feeling better, and the cold symptoms just lasted a day.  Just called the pharmacy to update them on my meds.  I asked about taking TheraFlu or something similar.  They said to stick to the Advil but if I needed cold meds, to check ingredients to make sure they weren't NSAIDS (in which case, not to take them the same day I take Advil) or Tylenol (as it could be hard on the liver -- however, doc said Tylenol for me is okay; but I'm taking Advil for other reasons, so sticking with that).

The biggest thing that they are trying to avoid is stomach bleeding/GI issues, so it's important to compare ingredients.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...