Can a male have Baby if he was infected with hepatitis C?
HI eveyone,

Recently I am doing volunteer job on other web from my home country, and there has been a discussion about wether should one have child if He was infected with Hep C. Please give true, reliable,datalized, or experts opion/ working experience.

Let's assume that one male partner have Hepatitis C, but sadly He cannot afford the treatment for it, and he's wife is hep C negative.

The questions are:

1. Should they keep engaging unprotected sex? is there any risk for pass hep C to his wife through semen-inside viginal contact.(almost all doctor in my country said it is very risky but some other on google said it is not even in reagular daily life, which one is more accurate? what is your opion/experience for it.)

2. If the the male partner cannot afford Hep C treatment, can he have regular unprotected sex with his wife, also in order to live their life normally to have baby? Could the baby be infected during the pregnancy, or could the wife being infected( assume there is no any blood contact during the sex or daily life)

Thanks for your all, and knowing that your opions may save someone's life, and your opions may bring the light back to someone's life. Not all people can afford the treatment, I am just doing what I can to make it better.
Also, I have good news for those who are trying to treat hep C, if you cannot afford the treatment, go to India, in India they are making their own meds and its the same but it is way cheaper, its just like the cloth brand ZARA if you know what i mean.
In the US the CDC (Center for Disease Control) does not suggest to  long-term monogamous couples they need to use barrier protection. There are many here who were infected with hep c but their spouse did not contract hep c. The risk of transmission is greatest for those who engage in rough sexual practices involving blood, in the presence of HIV or for those with multiple sexual partners.

While there is some small risk for long-term monogamous couples the CDC does not consider hep c to be a sexually transmitted illness.

Has this person looked into other ways to obtain treatment? I have heard generic forms are available at greatly reduced costs in other countries.

I have heard that most of the new medicines that are curing hep c are much less expensive than the US cost for example if one were to purchase Harvoni out of pocked without insurance coverage the price is $1,250.00 US dollars per pill or $31,500.00 for one 4 week supply.

I just found this from the Mayo Clinic web site:

"How common is sexual transmission of hepatitis C?

Answers from Michael F. Picco, M.D.
Hepatitis C is transmitted primarily by exposure to blood containing the hepatitis C virus. Transmission rarely occurs from exposure to other infected body fluids, such as semen.

If you're in a long-term, monogamous relationship with a partner who has hepatitis C, your risk of contracting hepatitis C is thought to be low, unless you also have human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). For these monogamous couples, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) doesn't recommend routine condom use to prevent transmission. But couples should avoid sharing razors, toothbrushes and nail clippers or having intercourse during menstruation.

Your risk of contracting hepatitis C increases significantly if you have HIV. The risk of transmission is higher if you have multiple short-term sexual relationships with partners who have hepatitis C. Under these circumstances, the CDC recommends routine condom use to reduce your risk of transmission."

Best of luck to your friend
Just to add I am not an expert there are no experts here. This is primarily a support community of patients who are or were infected with the hep c virus.

My lay persons knowledge comes from reading on this and other forums from those who came before and from my own experiences being infected with hep c for 37 years and treating 4 times without success then finally on my 5th treatment finally being cured. I am no type of medical professional and have no medical training. I just read a lot.
Thanks for your information, so basically from your experiences and knowledge, you do not think that a Hep C patient (male) will pass the virus to his wife or baby during pregnancy if there was no any blood-blood contact involved?

we still dont have the new meds yet in my country, many people here are still using the old method or inject proteins/interferon?(Im not sure how you call it ) That is a big issue, and many cannot access the treatment due to poverty, and some even dont have good hospital to do check up in their region.

So there are people who will live with hep C in their entire life but only control the illness with proper "treatment." but without real treatment.
Not likely to wife impossible to baby
From the American Liver Foundation

How is Hepatitis C Transmitted or Spread?

Hepatitis C is transmitted or spread when the blood from a Hepatitis C-infected person enters the bloodstream of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with HCV by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when screening donated blood and organs for Hepatitis C was not standard in the United States, the disease was commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.

Hepatitis C can be transmitted through sex between a man and a woman, but the risk is low. Therefore, condoms are not routinely recommended for monogamous, heterosexual couples. The risk of Hepatitis C transmission is higher with unprotected anal sex between two men; using condoms will decrease this risk. All people with multiple sex partners should use condoms to reduce the risk of getting Hepatitis C and/or HIV.

Hepatitis C may be spread if there is a breakdown in the skin or lining of the mouth.  Therefore, sharing of toothbrushes, razor blades and nail clippers is not recommended.

IS HEP C CONTAGIOUS?

Hepatitis C transmission happens only through exposure to an infected person’s blood. It is not contagious like the common cold. You cannot get, or give, Hepatitis C by:

Kissing
Hugging
Holding hands
Casual contact
Sneezing
Coughing
Sharing eating utensils
Sharing food or drink
Breastfeeding (unless nipples are cracked and bleeding)
Nicely done!Ill share all the information get from you to other people who needs it.;) Thank you flyinlynn
You are most welcome :-)