Hepatitis C Community
Can a person contract Hepatitis C by kissing a person who has had it in...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Can a person contract Hepatitis C by kissing a person who has had it in the past

Can a person contract Hepatitis C by kissing a person who has had it in the past?  Can you get it from sharing drinks?
hi,this is a question ,i have just met a lovely man and he has been totally honest with me he hac hep c and liver failure,what can i do to protect my self ,during sexual activities,please the dos and don,ts
Charli: Forgetaboutit! Isn't going to happen. If you are both actively bleeding from the mounth, you may want consider a snuggle instead of deep probing kisses (so to speek). HCV is transmitted blood-to-blood, not saliva to saliva. i.e. blood transfusion, shared medical or drug use equipment, unsterile tattoos, et. al.

Teen303: My first reaction is to ask you if you have consulted your father. But in the spirit of education, you should take all of the precautions you would take to prevent other STD's. You are more likely to get genital herpes (1 in 5 adults have it) or other STD's than HCV. Seriously, your dad probably cares about as much or more than anyone you will find here (I hope).
I agree with the above post.  Stay away from open sores, cracked lips, bleeding in or around the mouth area.  Other than that, kiss away to your heart's content!

Susan
Before I became involved with a man, no matter how lovely, I'd educate myself about Hepatitis C and liver failure. Thoroughly educate myself.

Hepatitis C is not easily transmitted. It is passed by blood to blood contact so unless you both have open sores or are bleeding you should not have to worry about contracting HepC from this man. However, if you'd like to be extra cautious condoms would be in order.

Liver failure is no picnic. It comes with many harsh symptoms and side effects. In order to maintain a relationship with someone who is suffering from liver failure I believe you need to be willing to take care of the person when they are at their worst.

Read up on liver failure. Understand what it means and how the disease progresses and then ask yourself if you think you can be the care taker of a person going through hepatic encephalopathy? How about when he experiences mood swings and is less than lovely on a routine basis? A person who has ascities and needs to have that fluid drained? How about when/if the time comes for a liver transplant? Can you and would you want to be the person to take care of someone who is hospitalized for an extended period of time? A person who will be weak as a kitten until fully recovered? A person who may need his every need met? A person who may become disabled due to this disease? That's the reality of being the partner of a person dealing with liver failure.

Liver failure means just that...the liver is failing. As the liver fails so does the person experiencing that failure. The only chance that person has is a liver transplant.  You cannot live without your liver.

I think it takes an extremely strong and dedicated person to step into a relationship with someone who has a life threatening disease.

Make sure you're that kind of person and understand what you'd be taking on if you develop a relationship with this man.

Many of us who have been married to our partners for many, many years, had children and built lives with these men find ourselves barely able to cope with all that comes with caring for our husbands who have this disease. It's not easy. It's made easier when there is a strong foundation for the relationship and a deep love and commitment to one another.

Good luck and as I said...educate yourself first.
I just had my transplant 7 weeks ago, if it wasn't for my wife i could not have made it.We are now talking about vacations again.Thank god for her.

Bob
hi
I just find out that have hepatitis c and next month i am getting marry how can i protect my husband to be, not to get infected.
as was dx with hep c after entering the hospital with sever abd paI win and liver enzymes thru the roof. They thought maybe a gallstone at first until the test came back positive. The way I got it is not clear. However, I am a nurse and it was possibly through patient contact of some sort. I was stunned and this is the first time I am really talking about it.
I  went and had my viral loads done and decided to hold off on meds. The doc said that the virus sometimes goes away on its own. Who knew? I was suppose to go back after 6 months.... it's been 9. I just had my redraws and am awaiting my appt. to see how I am doing. She did lots of lab work. I am very nervous that I am going to have to make some tough decisions, I do not want to be sick from the meds, yet I do not want to die from liver failure.
I am looking for some input on this.
I am also a single woman and dating, I was dating, I guess now  I kind of feel like who is going to want to be with me.. I recently met a man and I don't know how to even tell him. He has a young daughter and I think he would probably not want someone around her that could make her sick. Therefore I back off. I have not been with anyone in any sense since my dx.
How and when do you tell someone that you have hep c? I kind of feel like you should tell them before you even kiss so that they have the option to decline. Yet, that is usually somewhat early and not when you are baring your deepest secrets.
Any advice would be nice.
Sorry for the long post. This has been building for a while.
Thank you.
I have hepatitis c i dont really known how i got it but i had it for sometime now ..i was told i had it since 1986 but the doctor didn't catch it untill 1995..i had did some treatments for it about 6 month and that made me to sick so we stopped it...I just did the treatments again about 2month ago and i got really sick my white cells drop so bad that i was in the hospiltal for 4 days and then i went back 2weeks later and stayed in for a week with my white cells low and cd infection from the the meds.i'm all most back to myself .I'm just looking for a internet site where people like me can find some one to date we need someone to love and talk to and have fun too.if anyone can help me thank you so much.. my e mail is ***@**** write me...
Can I contactHepatitis c from some onethathas it?
Yes that is how people are infected they get it from someone else who has it - blood to blood contact.  

For all those who have definitively stated that contamination is only possible via blood to blood contact... I'd like to know how you can be so audacious to make these statements with 100% certainty and putting someone else's health at risk?

Here are the ACTUAL facts:

http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2007/03/can_saliva_tran.html
Fail,

It's because there is blood in the saliva. Perhaps you missed this.

-Additionally, any risk of acquiring infection through salivary contact existed only in the presence of gum disease. Investigators attribute this risk to microscopic amounts of blood in the saliva and visually undetectable open mouth wounds present in gum disease.

Time to go back to the tool shed.
I am not sure what the point is. Should people avoid anything that poses a potential risk in life regardless of how miniscule the risk is? Perhaps more information about why you are bringing this up or your own personal experience would be helpful. Also perhaps it would be a good idea to start your own thread that didn't start in 2002.

-Dave
Wow we are an audacious bunch I guess someone owns a dictionary and thesaurus.

"microscopic amounts of blood in"

I guess this person is implying that they got infected via kissing, ok, me too.
i'm a bodacious kisser

" like to know how you can be so audacious to make these statements with 100% certainty "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quite easy actually when you become familiar with the facts.
What does “thesaurus” mean and can it be transmitted in saliva?