Hepatitis C Community
Can medication give a false reading of Hep C?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I was diganosed with Hep C on April 4, 2000 after a routine blood test for liver enzyme elevations due to the medication Hydroxoycloroquin.  I am also taking Trazadone for depression, Carbidopa-Levodopa for RLS, Ultram for pain, Zyertec for allergies, Depo-Provera for inflamation (inflammation) of the Uterus, Vioxx for inflamation (inflammation) of joints.  

All my problems started in 1997 when it was decided that I needed to have knee surgery to correct the tracking of my knee cap.  It was discovered that I had arthritis under my knee cap but the surgery went on as scheduled.  The only way I found out was through the doctors notes I had to have for SSD.  This was followed by aggressive physical therapy for one year.  With my pain getting worse.  It was relayed to me by my current physician that this is what helped in the spread of the RA.

I guess my question is is it possible for the Hydoxycloroquine to cause the hep C to suddenly show up or was it there all along?

No one has taken me off of this drug knowing that it can cause liver damamge.