Hepatitis C Community
Can you feel pain in liver?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Can you feel pain in liver?

I'm havering some right side pain, I am currently on tx (took my shot last night ). Could this be tx related?
Thanks, and happy mothers day to all moms!
I also have some pain in my right side on the day after my injection of pegatron.

I don't know what causes it.

I have heard other people at my HCV support group mention this feeling, but my Doctor tells us that the liver doesn't have any nerves in it, so pain wouldn't be coming directly from the liver.
   Now, if the liver is swollen, then the surrounding area may be getting cramped, and there  are nerves in the body, surrounding the liver.
   How are your liver enzymes looking (your AST/ALT)?
I think the Interferon causes all kinds of strange aches and pains, that's why I try to take it easy on this Tx, and I try not to lift heavy things, etc.
My enzymes  were normal when I started. But I go in on wens so I'll ask. They only have me coming in for office visits once per month. And my labs are slow to come back, unless there is a problem, in which case they said they would call me.
  I still havent had enough nerve to google Pegasys Interferon, and read the side effects and warnings...ignorance is bliss.
No, you can't feel your liver.
You can feel your gall bladder which is tucked right in there.
Digestion problems on interferon are not uncommon.  
Try massaging the area. It can't hurt and it could help.
Well I don't have a gallbladder, but we did go out for lunch today, maybe my meal was too heavy, but I swear the pain is exactly where the liver is unless its appendix?? Pain is to the right of belly button.
"Pain is to the right of belly button"

Your liver is located under your rib cage on your right side
The liver is located just below the diaphragm (the muscular membrane separating the chest from the abdomen), primarily in the upper right part of the abdomen, mostly under the ribs. However, it also extends across the middle of the upper abdomen and part way into the left upper abdomen. An irregularly shaped, dome-like solid structure, the liver consists of two main parts (a larger right lobe and a smaller left lobe) and two minor lobes

http://www.medicinenet.com/liver/article.htm

Follow the link it has a picture and as said above the liver has no nerves.
'Pain is to the right of belly button.'
Your intestines are located behind your belly button.
Mother's day post meal gas most likely...

Hector
I've had pain off and on for about 4-5 years just along the right side of my  ribcage, a pinching feeling near where my gall bladder is (my liver is somewhat shrunken from stage 4 cirrhosis and is farther up under the ribcage now).  

My former doctor (now retired) said it may have something to do with fluid retention in that area. I've had Hep C for about 40 years but it's just in recent years I've had the pinching feeling .  

Now during treatment, I ONLY have pain/discomfort in that area the day after the pegatron shot, and it's more like an ache than a pinching feeling now.
@Hector:  it was interesting for me to view the photos you had, on your profile, of actual livers, although I did get a nightmare afterwards, that I had a weird liver like growth on my fore-arm.
  I believe education is the key, but I still havent read up on Interferon warnings, because it is mandatory for my treatment, and I'm a bit of a hypondriach.  But I am working up to it~
  And I wanted to add a thank-you to hrspwrguy, for posting so much educational material on here, as well
This was Jenge's new post and question. This thread is to answer her question NOT for others to post their questions, issues or statements in.

Are you asking a question? If so, you should create your own separate post so people can respond to your question(s).

People who post should be contributing to answering the question(s) of the Original Poster.

Thanks.

Hector
Title of thread-----Can you feel pain in liver?

Jenge  
21 hours ..Well I don't have a gallbladder, but we did go out for lunch today, maybe my meal was too heavy, but I swear the pain is exactly where the liver is unless its appendix?? Pain is to the right of belly button.

HectorSF  
18 hours .To: Jenge.'Pain is to the right of belly button.'

Please note the time frame
I have what I sometime think is liver pain almost everyday. I dont have a gall bladder either. I had throughout tx and still do if I sit just right, or eat a fatty meal. I was und at 12wks post and hope to svr soon. I dont think its your liver (I am not a Dr.) from what I have read, sometimes we still get gall stones that can become lodged in our bile ducts. I would urge you to look on the web and research this. It may put your mind at ease. Its not all that uncommon really.

PS. Hector is the man around here!!
Its hard to imagine what would happen here without Hector, He's the go to guy on so many important things.
If you look about 6 comments down, the original poster says the following:

__________________________________________________________

Well I don't have a gallbladder, but we did go out for lunch today, maybe
my meal was too heavy, but I swear the pain is exactly where the liver is unless its appendix?? Pain is to the right of belly button
________________________________________________________

I believe this is what Hector was refering to...
Great thread. Shows the importance of Hector.

To the OP you have gas most likely. We aren't doctors so if it is severe, ask your doc.  My daughter had appendicitis, it was bad. Nothing like 'liver pain' and she's a pretty tough kick *** girl.  $ 20,000 and two days later she came home. You got it, you'll know it.