Hepatitis C Community
Canker Sores

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Canker Sores

Anybody got any good 'home remedies' for these persistant mouth and tongue sores. I've got the normal cleasing and stuff to deaden the pain so I can eat. But isn't there anything that helps them heal?

Ringading.......Kimmy. Other people(idiots) only affect you if you let them. The votes are in! Come back to us. We need you!

Ellis
I don't have any home remedies for you, but I guess I am stating the obvious to suggest staying away from any kind of citrus, spicey foods, tomatoes and the like, which I am sure you avoid.  I used to have a great "home remedy" book at home.  I'll check and see if I can find it tonight after work, and I'll get back to you tomorrow and let you know what I find out.
I found that yogurt provided some relief. Also ice cream :)!
I used to use silver nitrate sticks from the pharmacy....I think you have to have a prescription for them these days.  It will burn like the dickens for a couple seconds but it sure takes care of getting rid of them.  Other than that, just try to stay away from any foods with a lot of acid.
Hi, I had a canker sore a of couple months ago and I wasn't sure what the heck it was because I never had one in my life.  I've been using Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste and it is easier on the gums and mouth.  For the canker sore, 3 times a day, I simply swished around some normal saline or salt water (not too strong) and it went away in about a week. Also, another home remedy is to apply hydrogen peroxide with a cotton swab on the canker sore (one part hydrogen peroxide and one part water). Then dab a small amount of milk of magnesia on the canker sore 3-4 times a day.  ps. Don't eat or drink any acidic foods or beverages or you'll get a burning sensation.
I've also found yogurt(I like vanilla) to be helpful for mouth sores. Some people in the forum have mentioned something called magic mouthwash(I think).Perhaps they will add more info.
Regarding your questions a few days ago-look at the post way back entitled Infergen. It's interesting and quite hopeful for your husbands situation.Good luck.
The Infergen post was 1/23/04
I had sores towards the end of treatment. They were the worst. I thought they would never go away but a week and half after I stopped the treatment, the sores went away. I too used Biotene and salt water. They never went away for me completely until I was done. I think it was because I used to eat a lot of fruit until I got them and they were kind of persistant by the time I stopped all the citrus. Ask the doctor if he or she can give you anything to help also. Don't get discouraged, they will go away eventually.
you can also dissolve some baking soda and swish that around, works for me.
Swish and Spit?  OMG!  That's hilarious!  It better work with a name like that!

Jamie
YES !!!! I know all about the mouth thingy!!!! Go to your GP and have him/her look and see. They gave me a prescription called "MAJIC MOUTH". It has to be mixed @ the pharmacy. It contains sevral different meds....one I know is lidocain, or something like that...anyway it tastes awful!!!!!...it's thick and I about threw up the first time I used it. It's very thick so it will coat well. Put it in your mouth and sort of roll it around. Hold it for a few minutes and then spit it out. It numbs and heals your mouth. I went thru 2 bottles while on tx. And as someone said you need to eat yogurt EVERYDAY...any kind, to fight off yeast infections. When my GP gave me the majic mouth he also GAVE me 4 sample pills of "diflocan"...you only take one the first day and then wait a couple of days to let it work. If it isn't better then take another, but I only had to take one every month or so. I had a time w/ my moth and I PROMISE this will work!!!!! Good Luck and GET thr majic mouth! prayers, Cindee
I have this too. Tongue is raw, sores, hurts to eat. This is a known side, my doc prescribed a mouthwash called, "swish and spit" - it does help. They also prescribed an antiviral JUST for this side.

So, please ask your doc, I think they can help with this one.
Along with the sore mouth I have a completely DRY mouth. You never know how nice saliva is till it's gone!!!
I also found yogurt helpful and vitamin e oil (pure) applied directly to the corners of my mouth, where the problem has localized.  It is magic!
I finally dug out my prescription for the mouth sores from when I was on treatment, here it is:

CPD-Diphen/Lidoc/Maal ("Swish and spit 1/2 to 1 TBL every 3 to 4 hours as needed for mouth pain)

Not sure what it is but I think the second one is Lidocane and the last one was Maalox or something? All I know is it really helped - made my mouth completely numb plus cleared up all the sores and pain.

Hope this helps - Kathy

A very good method of treating mouth ulcers is using grains of salt.  Just take about 3-4 grains of salt and put them on the ulcer.  It will sting and hurt like hell for a few minutes, but it instantly helps to heal.
this is true but I use a lot of salt; been doing this all my life for canker sores and it numbs 'em up good.  I'll try milk of magnesia next time though as I'm kind of a sissy now on tx and you need some guts for the salt thing.