Hepatitis C Community
Cant read my test

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Cant read my test

I just took the HCV RNA, PCR Quan Rflx test and it cam back Positive.. all it says is HCV RNA detected... My hepatitis C Quantitation is 108,820 IU/ ML, and 5.037 log10 IU/mL... I have np idea if that is a high viral load.. My doctor at a cheap clinic didn't even know how to read it to me.. Im  going to set up an appointment with a Gastro,, as soon as possible... Can someone please help me to understand if my viral load is High or low.. I want treatment ASAp...
  Hmmm..hmmm...that looks low to me.   Less than 800,000 IU/ML is considered "low", and your's is 108,820 IU/ML.
      Mine was very similar, when I had my Hep C, my range usually varied between 60,000 and 800,000...except when I was pregnant, it shot up to 6 milllion. My husbands' was 13 million.
    Wheter the viral load is low or high makes very little difference, health-wise, but we use the viral-load #'s during the Treatment, to determine how fast the meds are working.
   To use an example: my husband participated in a Research Trial, with the super new and easy meds, scheduled to come out, around 2015, and he went from his 13 million (IU/ML) to 300 IU/ML in only one week. By week 2 his viral load said < 43 Undetected. That means the virus was undetectable in his blood stream.
    During our Treatment, we were monitored with thes viral load tests, to make sure we remained Undetected until the end of Treatment. Then, if a person still remains Undetected 24 weeks after thier Treatment (or 1 yr post, if they have cirrhosis) then they can consider themselves "cured" but it is refered to as "Sustained Viral Resoponse" or we abreviate with SVR.
   If you want Treatment, your Gastro will order another test, called a Qualitiative test, to determine your genotype, and when the FDA approves the new and safer Treatment, using the latest best med, "Sofosbuvir" then you can go ahead and treat it, and get rid of it.
   I got rid of mine last year,with a more difficult Treatment, refered to as "Triple Treatment" but it doesn't work as well as Sofosbuvir, because it is a longer Treatment, and many times causes serious anemia, and it uses Interferon which has harsh side effects as well.
   If you find you are a geno 1, then yr Treatment will last 12 weeks, it will include Interfeon and Riba, but is much safer because the old Interferon treatments lasted 48 weeks or more, so this is much better.
    You can also participate in a Clinical Trial,  my Hubs went to onein San Francisco-  good luck, and you can and will beat this...all the cool kids are doin' it!
Thank you so much for your insight.. This whole thing has me so worried.. how much will treatment be if I have no insurance??? And I also been in a relationship with my boyfriend of 8 months and just found out all this about me having Hep C.. He comes back into town from work on Monday and I have to tell him.. I'm so scared he may have it and how do I even tell him about my Hep C.. Please give me advice.. Thank you So much..
Although you do have a low viral load, the difficult thing about hep C is that viral loads don't equate to liver damage.
If you have no liver damage, you might want to wait on treatment.

Hep C is not an STD. It is very rarely passed sexually as there needs to be blood to blood transmission. Therefore it is unlikely your boyfriend has it though he should be tested to be sure.

For more information about hep C, check out hepcadvocate.org
or hepcchallenge.org or any of the many hep C sites online.
  Yeah, what I would do is get a simple book  with current info on Hep C, or some print-outs from the Internet, at the least, with the Educational Material for your boyfriend in writing
    Unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to Hep C, and much misinformation on the subject, so him having The Facts will help, when you tell him.
   Now is the time to try to get into a Clinical Research Study, because you wont need Medical Insurance, and they actually pay the Participants a small amout, I think my husband got $50.00 per visit, and some Taxi vouchers.
   The place to search for Clinical Trials is at clinicaltrials.gov.  but I found the website complicated, and the Study my Hubs was just in wasn't listed on that website. I know that University Medical Centers also treat low income people, such UCSF for instance, and there is one in Boston, etc.
    I also know that ObamaCare is going to be signing people up, around May, I think. So you can look into how to sign up- for that also.  
    I sure wish there was a specific agency that advocated in helping people with Hep C, to get Treatment, but I dont know of any, unfortunately. You could also see if there is a Hep C Support Group in your area,that's what I did. Good luck, and stick around here, you will learn so much~  Katy

.
"Then, if a person still remains Undetected 24 weeks after thier Treatment (or 1 yr post, if they have cirrhosis) then they can consider themselves "cured" but it is refered to as "Sustained Viral Resoponse" or we abreviate with SVR. "

I guess all the experts are wrong as they say 6 months also for us cirrhotics