Hepatitis C Community
Celebrate with me

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Celebrate with me

I have not checked in for quite awhile.  I was genotype 1, high vl having had HCV for 23 years. Treatment was fine for the first few months.  Then side effects began to accumulate.  I got so much help from this site because I felt like I wasn't going through it alone.  When the first Gastro doctor wanted me to stop treatment because of low neutrophil count, it was information from this site that I was able to use to present my case to another doctor.  Week 42 was my last one (Feb. 2004)- by that time I had lost 40 pounds, had received 10 blood transfusions and was in the hospital.  I really had put all thoughts of ever being virus free out of my thinking. I was afraid to have the 6 month recheck - in fact I put it off for 8 months.  The results are back - NO HCV detected!  The test paperwork indicates: "Quantitative HCV RNA by PCR detects 6,000 - 5,000 IU/ML."  I have a feeling that this was not the most sensitive test.  But I really want to count it.  Anyone have any input for me or should I continue to celebrate?
Good luck to everyone who is still fighting the dragon of hepatitis.
it certainly sounds like good news to have a low viral load if that is what this test shows, I would definetely insist on a more sensitive quantitative  test or better yet, a sensitive qualitative one. Insist!
I don't understand.  Are you undetectable or are your test results 5,000-6,000 IU/ML?
Since I have as yet to see the liver specialist or had my ALT or PCR checked, and am a newbie to this site, all I can say to you is: I sure hope you're right and if so, here's celebrating with you.

I am very happy for! Wow you really had some side effects.I am so glad thats behind you :-), but like the others confused with you test result.

The results should say something like HCV RNA undetected

Reference range <600 or <50

I don't under stand the Quantitative HCV RNA by PCR detects 6,000 - 5,000 IU/ML/

Does the test result give you a reference range. Have you talked with you treating Dr.

Could you please help clarify.

God Bless,

TonyZ
Great news, I finished treatment about 3 months ago and haven't got viral load test results back yet but they called today to say my liver enzymes were elevated for the first time since I started treatment, so I am expecting to hear that I have relapsed when they call next week. At least I had a fairly easy time on treatment so I don't have to look back and think I went through hell for nothing. Good luck all.
Thanks for the reply. I had asked my nurse practitioner to let me know if my liver enzymes were elevated as soon as she heard. She had told me they might be a good indication that I had cleared since those results don't take as long to come in. I am not on any meds other than Clariten since I finished Tx. I asked the "what if" question while I was there about what they would do if I relapsed and she said they would lean toward re treating since I have bridging fibrosis. I am under the impression that re treatment would be mainly be to try to avoid further progession of liver damage. Anyway, I didn't talk to the NP she left message on my machine and did mention not worrying until the viral load numbers came in.
"The results are back - NO HCV detected! The test paperwork indicates: "Quantitative HCV RNA by PCR detects 6,000 - 5,000 IU/ML."

I read it as:
her test detects 5,000 to 6,000iu/ml and she is undetected on this quantitative test. does not sound like a sensitive one, I wonder what lab still uses such test!
cuteus
I just got my results from Kaiser undetectable, they use a test that was new back in 2000. I can't imagine a PCR qualitative test that only test down to 5000 6000 IU Ml still being used these days, maybe they still report in copies per ML.
The main thing is she came into tx with a high Viral load and that is not there now, the virus usually spikes on a relapse.
So NON DETECTABLE :-}

MariChandra
I am so happy for you, that you can enjoy the holidays and the rest of your life with this in the past.

TonyZ

"The only lasting trauma, is the one we suffer without positive change"