Hepatitis C Community
Checking in

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Checking in

Well I have not been here since 2006- i had an SVR that lasted about 6 months, then back with the dragon.
i got so sick last time i tx i decided to stop because i live alone and had no help. i did mange to get disability which now helps pay my light bill!! but i am interested in looking for new tx options- i would appreciate any updates you all have in case i can consider trying again.
also what do you all know about non-invasive liver "biopsies" can we get them here in texas? i do not want to mess
with my liver at this time.
hope everybody is hanging in....
it's waaaayyyy hot here and that is compounding my discomfort!
Hi. So sorry to hear about your setback with the 'dragaon'.
Yes, in case you have not yet heard, there is new tx in the form of a third drug added to the interferon and riba.  It increases the success rate significantly ( doubled) for first time tx to about 78-80%.  It also has a great success rate ( don't know the % off the top of my head) for relapsers.  The FDA just approved both of these new drugs in May of this year.  They are called teleprevir (Incivek)  and boceprevir ( Victrelis).
Talk to your doctor.  Things are looking up in the hep C world.  
I will be starting tx very soon and glad I waited.  I contracted in 1978 and dx in 1996.
Thank God, I have been symptom free all this time and feeling good, however, my biopsy showed several years ago that there is something going on in there, albeit mild.
Good luck!
Yes simple bloodwork    http://www.ccjm.org/content/77/8/519.short  I did both and they came out the same>I would never ever do a biopsy again