Hepatitis C Community
Cirrhosis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Cirrhosis

5 years ago I was diagnosed with cirrhosis (alcohol).  I had retained a lot of fluid but after about 6 months on diuretics I lost all the fluid.  I have not had alcohol since the diagnosis June 2002.  In 2005 I went to an internist for a gastroscopy for gall bladder and he informed me I did not have cirrhosis as there was no scarring on the liver.  On July 12/07 the same surgeon removed my gall bladder and informed me I havd cirrhosis of the liver!  "When I asked him what I could do he just said "don't drink and you'll be okay for now" and walked out.  What did he mean "for now".  Is the disease going to recur?  I have a very sick husband and need to know what I'm up against in case I have to place him in a personal care home.  If I'm likely to die in the near future or become incompacitated and unable to look after him I need to know.
You can live for decades with cirrhosis.  Just don't drink and make the problem worse.

Ron
Avatar n tn
Thanks, that's a start.  Now I need to know what to expect.  When I had the full blown cirrhosis I had a new surprise almost every day, rash, hair loss etc.  Any of this to be expected again?
This forum is specifically about hepatitis which can cause cirrhosis but I'll try to help.( You could also try the GI forum)   I have cirrhosis from hepC. I too had ascites, fluid build up which too diuretics to stop. I stopped drinking alcohol. I try not to eat salt or anything with salt. I just finished treatment for HepC. I take some supplements specifically to assist the liver.  The two main ones I'd suggest are milk thistle and SAM-E Your liver can regenerate itself but you do need to make lifestyle changes which includes your diet.    There is more information on the following web site; janis7hepc.com    click on cirrhosis.        Good luck
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the info.
10356 commented on VICourageous's status
10356, and Dee1956 commented on 10356's status
mike716 SVR May, 2015 (Sovaldi+Olys... Comment
Jul 23
Track your weight over time