Hepatitis C Community
Clear at 7 months post treatment ... with notes of interest to some

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi everyone,

I realize this post will probably upset a few people.  I want to make clear I am not trying to brag or sound like a smartass or anything.  

I got Hep C type 1a in 2002 from IV drug use.

I went through 2 gastros because the first one didn't want to treat me because my biopsy was so good.  The second one I kind of had to bully him into it.  So I took of work and started the whole interferon/ribavirin thing.  I didn't drink or use drugs at all while on the treatment.  I also was very very compliant.  I think I missed maybe 2 riba doses the whole time, and my weekly shot I did at a certain time like clockwork.  I quit my job and did a lot of laying on the couch that year.

At about week 40 (out of a planned 48), for some personal reasons, and sheer exhaustion from the sides, I just said screw this I quit.  I had gone from 2,000,000 viral load to like 43 in the first 30 days.  Then I was undetectable for every test after that.  I guess I figured if anyone could quit early it would be me.

Also, I started feeling better almost immediately after quitting.  Within 2 weeks, I was back to myself.  Which also meant I started drinking once or twice a week.  I still have about a 6-12 pack every now and again.  My wife gave me a bit of  a hard time about drinking again, but there it is.

So today I got my results after 7 months off treatment.  I am still undetectable.  As I understand it, and as my gastro understands it, I am now "cured".  

Hope this helps someone
By the way, my previous post was the polite version :)
Sorry I reread and saw you had minimal liver damage, that's good. Just remember that many here have gone through a lot without success. Their livers are very important to them. I'm not sure where drinking half a case after going through tx now then helps anyone. Sorry I don't mean to rain on your parade. Just been a long day and contemplating another tx.

Good luck to you,
We only have just so much luck
Well good for you, SVR, thats all anyone can ask for.
Take Care!
I am glad you are still undetected. You said your Doctor said you are cured. I say you are also very, very lucky! After going through that 40 wks to save your liver I would watch out for that alcohol consumption. What stage was your liver before starting tx?
congrats shlep. i'm sure that many would attain svr even after stopping early but we never know because most go with the protocol of 24 or 48 wks. the key is having a vl unde or near unde at 4 week pcr and i think many could stop early and be svr, but who wants to take that chance. i think we will see in the next few years the 4 week pcr determine the lenth of tx, there have already been studies and sure more to follow on this subject.  as far as drinking after stopping tx, that is a personal choice one has to make. i have heard a drink once in awhile will not hurt anything, but like the old saying to much of anything will get you in the long run. good luck.
That should have been a year ago last Christmas
too much sex fall into that category??.....i am glad to hear of your SVR status and i ,for one,appreciate yr candor...imagine an adult being honest about behavior post-trx here!!! i expect you to rot in cyber hell while burning for eternity.....but inthe meantime enjoy life.........
Hey Shlep,
Like I said in my note, it was late and I was tired. I really am happy with your undetected status. It
Well, the point is, I couldn't find any information about people who quit early, or who drank during immediately after tx.  The way people here and in other forums made it out was like if you drink after tx, it will ruin your chances of svr.  Or if you quit 1 week early, you're doomed.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think I'm the only one who wants to be able to drink again.  Its basically the reason I did tx, so I could have my normal life back.  I know there are people out there who wouldn't dare ask if drinking after tx is okay for fear of the hyperreactive smackdown from their doctor or the like.

I'm sorry for the people for whom tx didn't work, or are in cirrohsis, really I am.  

The other point I wanted to make is that doctors don't know everything.  I had 2 gastros try to talk me out of treatment, and I had to really insist on it.  If I had listened to them, I'd be sitting here with hep c still.
Good Post!  Even though many disagree with the risk you took, it took courage to share, vis-
Being free of HCV with no liver damage is fantastic, something many of us have found elusive. You can still pickle your liver just the same and end up with liver problems, alcohol can do that without the virus.

It is hard to see someone who has been lucky enough to acheive SVR only to then squander it willingly by drinking too much I admit, but you have the right to do with your life as you choose.