Hepatitis C Community
Clorox fumes

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Clorox fumes

I cleaned my bathroom with a strong mixture of clorox & water and I think I used too much and  the fumes got to me.  I couldn't get the smell out of my nose all day.I'm wondering if inhaling the fumes would hamper my treatment since It could effect my liver...Would it be like alcohol on the liver? It may be my medicine making me paranoid but I just wondered if there were any thoughts out there on this.
I hope you didn mix it with other cleaners,even vinager,if you did it will give a chlorine gas and is very dangerous,if you just inhaled the clorox itself you should be ok.
When bleach is mixed with acids (such as those found in toilet bowl cleaners), it reacts with them to form chlorine gas, which can actually be deadly. When it is mixed with ammonia, it can create chloramine gas, another toxic substance. Short-term exposure to chloramine gas may cause mild asthmatic symptoms or more serious respiratory problems. It can even form a toxic gas when hyper-chlorinated by hot water.
In the environment, sodium hypochlorite is acutely toxic to fish. The chlorine in bleach can also bind with organic material in the marine environment to form organochlorines, toxic compounds that can persist in the environment.
Products containing chlorine bleach usually contain trace amounts of organochlorines that cause cancer in animals and are expected to do so in humans. Small amounts of organochlorines are also formed whenever chlorine bleach is used.
Household bleach is the most common cleaner accidentally swallowed by children.

http://www.annlouiseforum.com/fat-flush-support/15518-disturbed-about-clorox-bleach-recommendations.html
Only the clorox & water...Thanks for the info! I don't want to slow my treatment or recovery chances.
HOT water is not a good idea to use with bleach when cleaning either...i use vinager and baking soda
You get more chlorine in your system from drinking untreated tap water
You made me feel a whole lot better!! Thanks.
I know the doc told us to stay away from fumes like gasoline and fresh paint and stuff...........I'd definitely advise staying away from Clorox in the future!
There are several routes to chemical exposure.  The main ones are ingestion (eating) derrmal (skin) and inhalation (breathing).  Avoid them all.

Fumes of anything will end up in your blood and then have to be filtered out by your liver.  DON'T work with anything with fumes.  If you can smell it at all, it is going to end up in your blood.  Nothing, NOTHING is as important while on TX as relieving all stress on your liver.  The tub will wait, cleaning stains off the sidewalk will wait, spraying ant spray will wait, house painting will all wait until your liver is recovered after TX is over.

If you must use any chemical with fumes, ask someone else to do it and you leave the area until the fumes are all gone again.
"Fumes of anything will end up in your blood and then have to be filtered out by your liver. If you can smell it at all, it is going to end up in your blood. "

Maybe I can use a medical claim to move away from that gal who's always farting at work. Problem is, farts not withstanding... she's kinda cute ...in her own trailer park way.
Now i know you need help. :)
a couple of things.  First, liver damage from fumes is seen in situations with prolonged exposure to excessive toxins.  Even *if* the exposure from one event could somehow hamper or interfere with your treatment (which I don't see any basis for), it would be like forgetting your medication for one day.  Something you don't want to make a habit of, but not something that is going to derail your entire tx.
Try this.....maybe
Please Madam - you must absolutely not break wind anywhere near me. I have a liver disease you know? And you're truly killing me.
Mike
Thanks, I needed that :)
Let us know how that goes!
That gives a new meaning to the phrase: "silent but deadly"!
Michael
Oh my God voila almost another poop thread - it's been AGES!!!!!!!
Who said anything about silent? Single-handedly this gal could carry the tuba section of the Boston Pops.

..... thar she blows folks!