I cleaned my bathroom with a strong mixture of clorox & water and I think I used too much and the fumes got to me. I couldn't get the smell out of my nose all day.I'm wondering if inhaling the fumes would hamper my treatment since It could effect my liver...Would it be like alcohol on the liver? It may be my medicine making me paranoid but I just wondered if there were any thoughts out there on this.
When bleach is mixed with acids (such as those found in toilet bowl cleaners), it reacts with them to form chlorine gas, which can actually be deadly. When it is mixed with ammonia, it can create chloramine gas, another toxic substance. Short-term exposure to chloramine gas may cause mild asthmatic symptoms or more serious respiratory problems. It can even form a toxic gas when hyper-chlorinated by hot water.
In the environment, sodium hypochlorite is acutely toxic to fish. The chlorine in bleach can also bind with organic material in the marine environment to form organochlorines, toxic compounds that can persist in the environment.
Products containing chlorine bleach usually contain trace amounts of organochlorines that cause cancer in animals and are expected to do so in humans. Small amounts of organochlorines are also formed whenever chlorine bleach is used.
Household bleach is the most common cleaner accidentally swallowed by children.
There are several routes to chemical exposure. The main ones are ingestion (eating) derrmal (skin) and inhalation (breathing). Avoid them all.
Fumes of anything will end up in your blood and then have to be filtered out by your liver. DON'T work with anything with fumes. If you can smell it at all, it is going to end up in your blood. Nothing, NOTHING is as important while on TX as relieving all stress on your liver. The tub will wait, cleaning stains off the sidewalk will wait, spraying ant spray will wait, house painting will all wait until your liver is recovered after TX is over.
If you must use any chemical with fumes, ask someone else to do it and you leave the area until the fumes are all gone again.
a couple of things. First, liver damage from fumes is seen in situations with prolonged exposure to excessive toxins. Even *if* the exposure from one event could somehow hamper or interfere with your treatment (which I don't see any basis for), it would be like forgetting your medication for one day. Something you don't want to make a habit of, but not something that is going to derail your entire tx.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.