Hepatitis C Community
Coffee good or bad ?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Coffee good or bad ?

Is coffee in general good or bad for Hep C ? There are reports that people
who drink 4cups of coffee have less fibrosis. Than there are those
that say because of the roasting it has carcinogens. Than again
it is a stimulant and might make liver work harder.
I like my organic peruvian light roast in the morning
and an espresso or 2 in the afternoon as a pick me up.

Anything wrong with that
nope, nothing wrong with the coffee. i got the ok from my doctor who said 2 cups a day is fine. I have seen studies saying it is not good but many more that show benefits. just like anything else, use in moderation.
Here's some updated info that those of us trying to reach 12 week UND may find particularly interesting.  Here's the link and a brief sentence out of the sight.

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2010_conference/aasld/docs/1203_2010_a.html

"People who drank 3 or more cups of coffee per day experienced a significantly larger median decrease in HCV viral load from baseline to week 12, compared with those who drank none (3.7 vs 1.7 log, respectively)."
For some reason my taste buds have changed since being on tx.  I used to have to have coffee every morning now It tastes bad and I have no desire for it......strange.
I think a persons body is their best guide and yours doesn't seem to want coffee.  Since I'm still able to drink coffee, I am trying to get 3 cups a day in and gain any stacking of the deck in my favor.
I agree 100%. I wish hadn't changed.  I miss my morning routine.  Give yourself every advantage you can.  Perhaps I should crank up the latte machine.
Interesting you mentioned about the taste buds changing,mine have also changed particularly for coffee,just doesn"t seem to taste as good since starting tx. however like Susan I am still trying to get at least a couple a day in.

WILL
My doctor told me the liver loves coffee.
if i drank 5 cups of caffeinated coffee a day i would never sleep   i am constantly urinating 24/7 as it is  so ill drink a cup or 2 very early in the am  i also have cirrhosis so i dont think theres much of a benefit for me
It seems like ages ago when I posted this question.
Everyone is different , now being on tx with anemia ect.....
I need the coffee in the morning even more to get out of bed
Switched to low acid , more stomach friendly.

It is definately dehydrating so a glass of water with your coffee
is a good idea. Like it is served in the old coffee houses in Europe.

Yeah, your question has some age on it but the coffee research is very recent.  I have to laugh though as it seems one week coffee is being touted as great for something or other, and then the next it's detrimental.  Living is just so dangerous! ;)).
Some additional thoughts on coffee.  Nothing is as good for your liver as killing the hec C virus with some serious medications.  When on tx coffee tasted awful so I had very little of it.  For those of us waiting to start treatment again, coffee may be helpful.  But while on tx I don't think it means much regarding the final outcome.  So, if you can tolerate it on tx fine.  If not, no big deal.  I haven't heard of a study that links coffee with SVR, RVR.  
"Living is just so dangerous! ;)). "

Isn't that the truth!
-----------------------------------
Well, I am assuming that coffee is good because even the  liver Dr.'s are saying to drink it.
What I want to know is, does anyone know if a certain kind of roasting method makes it better or worse for what we are  trying to treat with it.  I remember that an unfiltered French coffee was said to not be good ( It was in one of the earlier studies.  I hope I am remembering it right but I know for sure it said unfiltered and I think I recall "French"  I don't have a clue how the French drink their coffee but Bali would know)
I know I have read that,
using milk and cream, bind with the ingredients that are likely helpful and so the coffee needs to be straight black and not decaf to be optimal. I just wish a coffee expert could tell us if mild, medium or dark roast would be best.  I've been picking the middle road with medium.  Sometimes my best logic is incorrect but I was just thinking that not enough roasting might keep it from being strong enough and too much might damage the helpful ingredients but all this is purely guessing.  
Anybody else have a different idea?
Ev
From what I understand Coffee is roasted basically two ways with oil (darker roast)
and without. It is the darker oily roast that can have carcinogenic poperties according
to an article I read a while back.
I thought you'd know something about this!  You are quite the wealth of information for a guy that has taken radical amts. of Riba.
Thanks,
Ev :>)
i might have remembered this wrong.... sorry
just found this:

"Roasting coffee creates at least one known carcinogen: acrilamyde. While it might seem counterintuitive, the highest levels are in medium roast, and the lowest are in dark roast. And carcinogens from non-organic coffee farming and preparation might also be present in the products we consume—a strong argument in favor of organic coffee."

I am sure if you do some online searches you find more....

Cheers
b

Oh great!  Look what my logic did for me.  I've been giving Joe the worst one.  
You are still doing well considering all that Riba.  Poor Joe was a zombie by the time he'd been on TX as long as you have.  I didn't ask him anything.
I will try looking at this a little further.  Drinking coffee is one of the easiest things we can do so we might as well get all we can out of it.
Speaking of acrylamides, I think that is the stuff that forms on the charred pieces of grilled meat, which supposedly is carcinogenic.  I read something a while back that said to use rosemary on your meat because it neutralizes the carcinogens.  Rosemary is good on meat but I don't think it would do much for a cup of coffee">)
Blessings,
Ev
" I just wish a coffee expert could tell us if mild, medium or dark roast would be best.  I've been picking the middle road with medium.  Sometimes my best logic is incorrect but I was just thinking that not enough roasting might keep it from being strong enough and too much might damage the helpful ingredients but all this is purely guessing.  
Anybody else have a different idea? "

I'm kinda learning about coffee (bored to death with Folgers).
The light roast has more caffeine, and portrays more the flavor and stuff from the bean itself.
The dark roast has less caffeine, and portrays more the roasting process, the "caramelization".

loose association: I believe there is choline in coffee, maybe not the same stuff in PPC (or was it PCC?), which is expensive stuff but said to help.

French press, loved by some, lets a lot of oils through versus the paper filter method. Some say the oils are not good for you in the long run. Some say.

If you want decaf, this link tells you about the processes used to do this:
http://www.kobos.com/About_Us/Cafe-News/?launch_pg=NewsItem&launch_sel=1004672

If you can't stand the taste on treatment (I'm no expert), just throw some flavoring in maybe?

*************************
I have a current  fixation with Matcha Green Tea. Supposedy has 6 times all the good stuff regular green tea and latest stuff says you need 5-6 cups of green tea a day for the anti-cancer, antoxidant effects. (again no expert).

oh yeah. use water around 200 degrees to brew coffee. any higher supposedly will burn the bean. also, the biggest change in process you can make is buying a grinder, prefereably burr grinder. I bought a refurbished Cuisnart from Amazon for $38 (free shipping).

Funny, but the coffee testers that buy all the coffee wherever they go to buy it, put the ground coffee in a glass cup, add hot water, and wait for the grounds to settle before using a spoon to slurp and taste. Hey!!! That's "cowboy coffee"!!!! Shows what we all know kinda.
Thanks for the interesting coffee information.  I'm still not sure what to buy.  I am definitely restrained buy cost.  I would think that most of the Halt C people drank something regular like Folgers but I've already established that my guesses aren't that good. :>)
I've never heard of the Matcha green tea.  Joe's supplements have green tea in them so I let it go at that.  Joe went through a stage of liking green tea but he is over it now and prefers the coffee.
Joe always thought it was the coffee acid he couldn't tolerate while on TX,  He didn't really want anything acidic.  Milk, on the other hand, was his comfort food.  It had a soothing effect on him.  If we find out it inhibits TX response, I quit! :>)
Glad you stopped by,
Ev
Trader Joes has low acid French roast. And most of their coffee is around 6-8 dollars.
Green tea suppliments probably are like Matcha tea, I'm thinking. Matcha tea is ground up green tea into dust. Of course, I'm gonna sweaten it with a teaspoon of Stevita or Splenda (hey, I ain't perfect). Tell Joe to do coffee and green tea stuff. no?
Going by the Japanese food store to see if they have cheaper Matcha. Tao tea here wants $5 an ounce. I bought their $17.95 metal jar full which says 75 serviings (must be pretty small servings if I use 1 teaspoon a shot).

oh well. we gotta feel around and put stuff on our diet list and take stuff off depending on how we can afford it and what the current science is. It's not black and white. It's kinda like your doctors. You gotta be your own expert, weighing what they say with what an experienced community says about the same subject.
TJ`s low acid French is what I am having on tx these days (low acid , price)
wish they made an organic version.
Low acid coffee is not easy to find. There are only two other companies that
I know and they are more expensive.
Joe still has the crazy idea that life should still be enjoyed so he dodges some of my great ideas for his recovery. :>)
I wish I had a Trader Joe's.  The only time we ever get there is when Joe has a liver Dr.'s appt in St. Louis approx every 6 months.  
Your last paragraph is something I can sure relate to.  It is also why it is hard telling someone else what you do because things change around a bit according to time, money or little self-experiments. I give Joe Sam-E as much as possible but sometimes we go through a spell where we can't afford it.  Joe took LDN since ending his last TX and it really seemed to help his recovery but now Mike H. is thinking it is raising his (Mike's , not Joe's) enzymes a bit so we have stopped it for now to see how things go.  Hard to explain all these little deviations.  The Hep Tech products are our only constant and we had a few days where we ran out this time before payday.  I want life to be perfect but it refuses!
Rolling with the punches,
Ev
I suffer from tx induced severe insomnia.
Without coffee during the day I sometimes would not be able to function.
Propably the wrong time to either start or stop coffee drinking habits.
I have ADHD. One of it's characteristics is that certain times of the day (early afternoon) I will fall asleep after several cups. Even ran off the rode recently after 3 cups before I started driving. sheez.
oh, yeah. Matcha green tea from Japanese grocery store was a lot more expensive, $7-$15 an ounce. From Tao tea in Portland it is $5 an ounce.
I looked up Matcha green tea at one of my favorite bargain spots, Swanson Vitamins, and  they had only one product for 24.99 per oz.!!!!  Yikes.  It was listed as 30 servings.  Swanson didn't have a bargain this time.  

I am a bit ADDish myself and am finding I do a lot better if I take fish oil regularly and eat a lower carb diet with lots of healthier fat. (Not omega 6 )  I know the whole low carb thing is highly controversial but I have headed that direction with Joe in an effort to counteract his risk for insulin resistance and diabetes but in doing so, it has really helped me too. We don't eat extremely low carb but a lot lower than we ever did before and I am selective of which ones to keep.   It just seems to help my brain be more cooperative and less distracted.  I wish I had known this when my oldest son was younger because he is very ADD and he grew up eating lots of carbs and isn't at an age to take any advice from mom, but I know it would help him too.  He can't find his keys, he can't find his wallet, his keys are locked in the car, he knows where the car is though...I hope:>)  
It is interesting that the coffee has the opposite effect on you but I have seen opposite effects with my oldest son also.  Medicines which normally put people to sleep can rev him up.  I took a No-doze once in college because I'd had to work late and had an exam to study for.  It made me feel horrendously sick and I fell in to a deep sleep with no consciousness until morning...I still got an A on the test.  The extreme caffeine did have a very opposite effect.  I've never tried anything like that again.
We aren't a one size fits all species.
Ev
I got news for you about low carb diets. They are really in right now with the scientists. Read this article in LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-carbs-tips-20101220,0,4380325.story

Also, they are finding that exercise in the morning before classes or for the first class is one of the most beneficial things an ADHD kid can do. I always seem mellower after a workout. duh, makes such simple sense, oh well. You should read the books by the english shrink who says ADD is just a left over trait from the hunter/gatherer tribes. People with ADD are "hunters" in a world of "farmers". Hunters are distracted by any movement, and sound because they are trying to bring home the bacon. Us hunters can run for weeks after an elephant if it suits us. . . . and the whole village gets to feed!!   ha!
I don't mean to be a bore but maybe a new thread about low carb diets and add/adhd could be started on the social side....No??

Honestly I am really interested in the info on coffee.
I'd never heard the hunter-gatherer/farmer theory but it makes perfect sense to me.  It might help me re-frame my thoughts when my hunter-gatherer son brings me 4 loads of dirty laundry from the trunk of his car.  He hasn't been on a trip or anything, this is just what  "happened" in his trunk while he was off hunting. :>)
I read the low carb article you posted.  It was interesting.  You know, if I would have just let Joe alone to eat what he wanted all these years, he probably would have been better off.  He has always liked coffee, preferred animal protein with every meal, liked real butter and cheese.  He was never prone to overeat either.  I was always reading the latest whatever and in the 90's I tortured him with low fat, I always tried to get him to drink less coffee because I thought it was bad for you, and of course,when he was diagnosed, everything pointed to cirrhotics staying away from animal protein so I set out to make him a vegan. If I could have a do-over, I'd do less meddling .  He isn't finding it hard to eat less carbs really, and I'm not getting too carried away.  He made a sandwich last night and used only one slice of rye bread and made up the difference with some extra turkey.  He did it that way on his own.  He likes fruit and doesn't like vegetables much ( doesn't work well for a vegan) so I said to just eat 2 -3  lower glycemic fruits a day and we'd try to fit in 2 servings of raw vegies and some green beans which are bearable to him.  It seems like something he can live with and be happy. If he chooses to eat a piece of cherry pie now and then...I resolve to zip my lips. :>l    
Ev
Sorry, it just sort of meandered away.
I still don't really know which coffee to buy either.  I read the posts above but it is not clear to me which is best. I read a little on several different websites but never came to any kind of conclusion.
OK, I don't know which coffee to buy either so I get the  starbucks whole bean and love it.  
Yes, you are correct. Move this over somewhere else. For example a discussion by people who don't have hepc, just live with someone who does. Maybe FacelessBook?

I buy a different coffee every time. Bean quality is seasonal, and I like surprises. No more Ethiopian however, too fruity or something.
Scratcher.....you are too sensitive.  I am interested in the coffee debate and that is the title of the post.....no??

I buy starbucks middle roast and it seems to taste the same always
I have been an avid coffee drinker for years and years.I have drank 3-5 cups a day for as long as I can remember.I firmly believe this is why I have minimal liver damage.I also drink alot of water with lemon.Lemon helps cleanse the liver.I get very fatigued when I cant get that cup of java.I like the folgers half caff.(half the caffeine)
I found this old article on CBS moneywatch.  If what it says is correct, it makes me think the lighter roasts would be best for our purposes.  I don't know what product it is referring to below but the article is old so it must be available now.  Retaining more antioxidants and increasing polypnenols would be what we want , I would think?
Ev
---------------------------
..A patent is being issued on a new coffee-roasting process that substantially increases the antioxidant content in brewed coffee.

Recent experiments in both animals and humans have shown that increasing polyphenol antioxidant intake can elevate total antioxidant capacity of the blood. Antioxidants are believed to mop up molecular garbage that is linked with genetic damage, including cancer and aging.

Coffee beans contain polyphenols but many of the antioxidants found in the green coffee beans are destroyed during conventional roasting methods. The darker roast coffees typically contain the least amount of natural antioxidants.

The so-called Healthy Roast Technology involves a relatively simple but unique and natural process. The green coffee beans are soaked in water before roasting, and later, the roasted beans are drenched with the liquid in which the coffee beans were first pre-soaked. This saves--and returns to the beans--many of the antioxidants ordinarily lost during roasting.

Coffee utilizing the new technology will smell and taste the same and will be on many store shelves early this year, sources say.

COPYRIGHT 2004 PRIMEDIA Intertec, a PRIMEDIA Company. All Rights Reserved.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group .  

OK, this little excerpt below  makes me a bit confused again. It doesn't really agree with the article I posted above.  This is what happened the last time I looked in to this question.  I have decided we are sticking with the medium roast for now.
Ev

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The roasting of coffee beans dramatically increases their total antioxidant activity. A roasting time of 10 minutes (medium-dark roast) was found to produce coffee with optimal oxygen scavenging and chain breaking activities in vitro (6). A study of robusta and arabica coffees from six different countries showed that robusta samples contained significantly more reducing substances than arabica samples and that protective activity measured ex vivo was significantly greater in roasted samples than in green coffee (7). Using the ABTS•+ method (the gold standard), it was confirmed that light roast or medium roast coffee has a significantly higher antioxidant activity in vitro than green coffee (8). This difference was observed despite a 19% and 45% decrease in the chlorogenic acid content of light and medium roast coffee respectively implying that other compounds make significant contributions to the total antioxidant activity of roasted coffee. Melanoidins are brown polymers formed by the Maillard reaction during the roasting of coffee beans and account for up to 25% of the dry matter. It has recently been shown by the ABTS•+ method that coffee melanoidins have significant antioxidant activity in vitro (9).