Hepatitis C Community
Colloidal Silver

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Colloidal Silver

I haven't posted in a while, but a friend with Hep C said his numbers dropped dramatically after taking Colloidal Silver. I wonder if anyone here has had experience with it? Below is an explanation I found of how it works....

Magnum

"The presence of colloidal silver near a virus, fungus, bacterium or any other single celled pathogen disables its oxygen metabolism enzyme, its chemical lung, so to say. Within a few minutes, the pathogen suffocates and dies, and is cleared out of the body by the immune, lymphatic and elimination systems. Unlike pharmaceutical antibiotics, which destroy beneficial enzymes, colloidal silver leaves these tissue-cell enzymes intact, as they are radically different from the enzymes of primitive single-celled life. Thus colloidal silver is absolutely safe for humans, reptiles, plants and all multi-celled living matter".
I like grey, a nice color!
Safe for reptiles ehh? Then how come the toads selling colloidal silver aren't taking it?
Yes, I have used colloidal silver and it never cured anything.  If it makes you feel better, use it.  It won't kill you.  But neither will it kill the virus.  I don't care what all the claims are.

There are many reasons for numbers dropping and raising on any given day.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The reason for that is simple : Since silver, in its colloidal form, holds now/ has taken from platinum the designation - by a huge margin-, to be  the most precious metal, the toads prefer to wear it outside.

We have - at the request of a patients that really wanted to know - send several colloidal silver preparations, in a multitude of extremely carefully selected concentrations,  to a university lab, that specializes in in vitro HCV cellular replicon assays.
Frankly, I would have liked to see at least some  inhibitory  effect, because whatever helps , even a little, is welcome.

In the in vitro cellular assays, no silver preparation, at any, even the highest concentration, showed any effect on the replication of HCV.

In contrast to that,  NTZ (NFI) and the metabolite of NTZ, tizoxanide, had an inhibitory effect that exceeded that of ribavirin by a a factor of twentythousand in the very same system used, as published at the DDW ( Digrestive Disease Week) 2006, poster ID# T1821
Yes those toads should be made to guzzle huge amounts of colloidal silver until they all look like this:

http://www.together.net/~rjstan/

And that's really interesting to hear that colloidal silver was actually tested in vitro for antiviral efficacy (I'm assuming it was in vitro?). I'm actually a little surprised it didn't exhibit any antiviral qualities in that format, I know silver in various forms is used as an anti-microbial in water filters (my brita filter has a little silver in it I believe). So yeah I agree it would have been nice to see some kind of antiviral action to it, even if it turned out to be ineffective in the human body for whatever reason. I used to work at a chem lab that tested water samples including those used in industrial boolers and coolers. One of the additives that would be put into some of the boilers was colloidal silver.

What you say about the efficacy of Alinia is very exciting. To think it's 20,000 times more effective than ribavirin in its inhibitory effects is astounding (while realizing there may be more to it than that in human trials). I've been thinking about buying up some Vertex stock lately, it has fallen an awful lot in the last few months ($23.75 as I write this). But I just can't seem to lay down the cash. I keep wondering just how big Alinia might turn out to be. No real toxicity, no real side effects, already FDA approved and already on the shelves? No time consuming full-scale phase 1/2/3 trials are required to demonstrate efficacy? (albeit some kind of trials must be conducted) If it works well for geno 1's, wow - that can't be good for Vertex stock. Think I'll stick with mutual funds for now....still, VRTX at $23/share is gettin' tempting!
Sadly, some people will buy anything.

Psuedo science wrapped up in the patients hopes for a cure.

Several things wrong with the given workings (above). Can you find more??

One is that viruses do not HAVE a metabolism at all! All of the virus activity is all done in the host own cells, using enzymatic machinery the cell uses to perform its daily functions .
So anything that affects the "virus's oxygen metabolism" would in fact be affecting the HOST's oxygen metabolism and the HOST would suffocate and die.

cheese
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I have to apologize, NTZ was only twothousand times  (2000 )as effective in these in vitro assays, compared with Ribavirin in the effective concentration 50 (EC50) readout.

I also expected/hoped for  at least some effectiveness of the silver preparations in the in vitro assay. Either it does not effect the intracellular virion production at all or the actual content of silver in these preparations is sooo low, that it does not have the effect silver could have. The highest conc. preps were actually used pure! -no dilutions from the solution in the bottles purchased. There was also -to be fair - no cytotoxicity  seen in these assays for the silver preps at any concentration.

Lets hope to see a good effect of NTZ for genos1 in the US trials, for the sake of all HCV patients.The jury is still out and will be for a while.
I can stop worrying about the  hep c doing me in. The stress from trying to decide which poison to use to try to get rid of it should do the job nicely. jerry
Quote: "In contrast to that,  NTZ (NFI) and the metabolite of NTZ, tizoxanide, had an inhibitory effect that exceeded that of ribavirin by a a factor of twothousand in the very same system used, as published at the DDW ( Digrestive Disease Week) 2006, poster ID# T1821"

HR, thank you for the info. I did not find the poster in the www. Do you =or anybody who reads this) know a link for the in vitro study?

In addition I like to know some thoughts about safety of NTZ. The SPC of Alinia writes it has been genotoxic in the AMES test and longterm carcigogenicity studies have not been done. Since it is used for diarrhoe for 3 days only, I wonder if there are any infos suggesting, that it will be safe if given off-label for 300 days together with the genotoxic ribavirin.

regards, drofi

Avatar_dr_m_tn
I only keep these abstracts in paper format, organized by topic. It was originally available on line, when the DDW2006 was still active. You might still find it under DDW2006, sometimes all abstracts are kept on line for a while.

The safety info as pusblished in the FDA documents re the approval of Alinia in the US all refers to short term studies as you properly point out. In this limited context safety was excellent. There are only two long term studies that have assessed safety over a 12 month period.:
:
1. The HCV studies in Egypt

2. A long term compassionate use study in HIV patients where drug exposure time ranged up to 1528 days, median 62 days at the time of the publication of the follow up.
The paper is titled  "Nitazoxanide in the treatment of aquired immune deficiency syndrome- related cryptosporoidois: results of the United states compassionate use program in 365 patients" and appeared in the journal  Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 24, 887-894.

the author concludes " No safety issues wee identified at doses up to 3000 mg/day for long durations of treatment".   The author might have been biased, because he is the owner of Romark, we do not know that and no such conclusion is actually implicated - it is stated as a matter of fact.

Thus whether this compound has clinically relevant carcinogenicity, particularly in combo with the genotoxic riba, is unclear at this time, and in this more specific context, we have to use the Egypt study as the only availabe evidence to the contrary.  It must however also be mentioned, that the HIV cohort with long term Alinia has several genotoxic drugs on board that would provide a similar test platform, if not worse, than riba for the potential carcinogenicity evaluation of  Alinia.

i would also like to remind however , that having chronic HCV hepatitis is a strong carcinogenic event for the liver in itself, much more so once cirrhosis is present. To weigh all these factors is tremendously difficult.
Insider info from sources not directly connected to Romark but performing NTZ research studies contains the general " message" that there has, up to this date, no serious side effect issue been observed. For whatever this is worth.
so non biased human trials are how far out on this?

did anything come of zinc studies as regards HCV, that you know of.

I did read your lipid explaination on the other thread by the way, it was more than adequate, but I was too sick that night to write anyone,
so thank you for that.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
All trials are biased in that the companies want to promote their product, of course. But the FDA checks every aspects of a trial, to make sure it performs to scientific objectivity standards, only then and only when an advisory commitee, composed of experts in the field, has given its opinions/objections/recommendations  to the FDA, a decision is made re the broad availibility of a new medication for a specified purpose  "the labeled indication"..
here's one in vitro but for HBC

http://hbvadvocate.org/news/reports/DDW_HBV_2006/Tuesday%20Posters.htm#Tues12
Thank you very much, I agree completely. Have a nice weekend.
If you think HCV can make you blue.  See what Colloidial Silver can do for you:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317564,00.html
I just saw him on CNN.  The guy is famous - he'll probably be on the three big networks tonight.
Wow, I've heard of the holiday blues but that's taking things too far.