Hepatitis C Community
Confused about anti-HCV Result

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Confused about anti-HCV Result

Hi there,

I just had an anti-HCV test done a couple of days ago and got the result earlier this evening. Instead of a non-reactive result, I get a >0.1 with a reference range as such:

Index
Interpretative Values
Non-Reactive :  = 1.00

What does that mean? Am I infected with Hepa C or is my test result non-reactive?

Thanks,
Jovian
Sorry, something went wrong with the copying and pasting:

Index
Interpretative Values
Non-Reactive :  = 1.00
Sorry. The greater than or smaller than sign got me all confused. I meant to say that the result I had was a <0.1.

Non-Reactive is  = 1.00

Not sure if the text box recognises the greater than sign ... :-S

Non-Reactive is less than 0.8
Equivocal is 0.80 - 0.99
Reactive is more than 1.00

does a <0.1 mean i have HCV antibodies in my body?
Your test says less than one tenth. I really don't think it can get any lower than that. You don't have HCV antibodies.

EIA signal to cutoff ratio
EIA results are reported as “reactive” or “nonreactive” and the EIA signal to cutoff (s/co) ratio may also be reported as “high” or “low.” The EIA s/co ratio is a comparison of the optical density of the patient’s positive EIA result to the optical density of the laboratory’s positive EIA control. If the ratio is high (>3.8 using the most widely employed diagnostic kits, Ortho 3.0 or Abbott 2.0, the positive predictive value (that the patient truly has HCV antibody in the blood) of the patient’s result is high and therefore does not require confirmatory testing using the RIBA. The positive predictive value of s/co ratios using newer assays such as the Vitros Eci has not been established

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/communicable/ViralHepatitis/HepC/PDFfilesHCV/InterpretHepCresults.pdf
Wow I can see how your test result would be confusing. I agree with the previous poster and could not have explained it better.

I wonder why it does not come right out and say Non-reactive. Especially since it says Non-Reactive is less than 0.8
and your result is 0.1.

Congrats :)
It seems as though .1 is the lowest the test goes and you have less than .1, which is negative. unless your doctor says otherwise it is negative.  Labs  report results in weird ways like that.

here i found this another site and it was answered by a Dr.

http://www.justanswer.com/health/6vyn5-hep-virus-ab-results-back-0-1-when.html