Contagious
My son was recently diagnosed with having Hepatitis C virus.  How contageous is this disease?  Do my husband and I have to be tested.  Should we?
My uncle has that disease as well.  As a child I was told never to drink out of the same cup as him because it was contagious.  My father also suffered from the disease.   He didn't know he had had it nearly 30 years.  He was diagnosed in December and passed away February 1st after a month long coma.
Hi Bonnie, I am sorry for your son's diagnosis.  Please learn as much as you can about HCV.  There is so much misinformation and ignorance out there, and even doctors are guilty of inspiring fear in those who don't have it.  To be kind to your son, please know what HCV is so he doesn't suffer from his family the same unkindnesses many of us have faced.  

HCV IS TRANSMITTED ONLY THROUGH BLOOD TO BLOOD CONTACT.  You CANNOT get it through sharing dishes, silverware, kissing, using the same bathroom etc.   Your son should not use your razor or toothbrush however.  It is very rare to transmit it sexually.

It is my opinion that everyone should be tested.  Many of us have unknowingly been exposed over the years - but it wouldn't be because of your son.

The CDC has a great web site and we will be happy to answer your questions.

Best, Anne

Sorry to hear of your sons recent diagnosis,. being your son I would imagine that he is relatively young ,which in itself is a good thing as  HCV for the most part takes many years and often decade to do any liver damage .

The treatments are becoming better and better all the all the time ,so likely if and when he needs to treat there will be a great chance of success

As far as being contagious...as Anne has said..the blood from the infected person must enter the blood stream of another.,,so the chance of transmission between family members is extremely rare if the normal precautions are taken .again as Anne has said about toothbrushes  razors  etc. not being shared.

As far as you and your husband being tested...many of us here have family members that have been tested  for peace of mind  and that would be a personal choice.

Good luck to you folks and your son....

Will

.
+1 Will
It is a very normal to be concerned, but really you don't have to worry unless there has been a blood to blood contact.

I have had Hep C since 1978, due to a blood transfusion after the birth of my youngest son. Both my husband and ex husband were tested and both are negative, my son was concerned, though I didn't breast feed him after the blood transfusion (call it Mother's intuition) and I told him that for his peace of mind he should get tested, he too came out negative. I am now on week 11 of the TMC 435 trial, and responding favorably.

With the new meds out there, and ongoing research and studies, your son has a lot of choices for treatment.

Good luck to him, and remember, besides the treatment, your support is his best weapon to overcome this disease.
Carmen
hi there...i've been dx since 2001..i don't know when where or how...but what about breast feeding...can the V be passed in the milk???I bf my son in 81 and my daughter in 96...can you give me some in put on this...thanks..