Hepatitis C Community
Coughing up small amounts of phlegm and blood
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Coughing up small amounts of phlegm and blood

I'm on the Abbvie trial and yesterday developed a cough that gradually worsened. This morning I coughed up some phlegm and wasn't too worried, but then when I coughed a few hours later, I noticed bright red streaks of blood in the mucous. I suspect I picked up a lung infection and am guessing that it will clear with time. I already did one set of antibiotics at the start of this treatment with a head cold and hate to do another. I feel fine, other than the cough every hour or so, but I don't want to take any risks. I wrote to my research nurse and will probably hear back from her on Monday, but I'm wondering if I should take more aggressive action until then, or just wait it out. I also feel more tired than usual, but then I've been on Ribavirin for 8 weeks! So far, there's no fever.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1840891_tn?1383280315
I'm no doctor, but blood in phlegm sounds pretty scary. On the other hand, I know how bad emergency rooms can be. Can you phone your doctors office and have the answering service page her/him? I'd try that first, but if its not an option then I'd wait until Monday but only as long as there wasn't any fever developing. If you get a fever then you must take your chances with the emergency room. Good luck!
Blank
Probably just a cold.
If you are in a trial then you should notify your study doctor or nurse. This type of information goes into a database of drug reactions that occurs with study participants. It can help if they see a pattern of same conditions happening others.

Hope you feel better
Best of luck
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949