Hepatitis C Community
Curious while waiting for results

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Curious while waiting for results

I have had some elevated liver enzymes for months now, and since my sister has stage IV liver disease (non alcoholic, unexplained), doc thought it time to get more blood work and ultrasound. To my surprise, came back reactive to HCV antibodies, but low s/co ratio of 1.58. Just went yesterday for more blood work to confirm results. I'm curious, though, from what I've read, low s/co ratio usually results in false positive antibody test. BUT...are there people on here who had low s/co ratio who still ended up with positive for HEP C from RIBA or RNA?
I haven't met anyone here with a low antibody score who turned out to actually have HCV, but it may just be that I've missed some. It would be an unlikely outcome anyway. Is your sister seeing a hepatologist? I don't think it is very common for a hepatologist to be unable to name any cause for stage 4 liver disease. I hope she isn't trusting her life (and stage 4 liver disease is very serious) to a general practitioner or even a gastroenterologist. If there is no obvious cause for her liver disease or for yours starting now, I would think they would consider either a genetic cause ( including autoimmune) or something environmental that the two of you shared. I hope you can find doctors who will get to the bottom of it. Best wishes!
Thank you. I know my sister saw a specialist when she was evaluated to get on the transplant list, but in general, she uses a GP she has known forever. Very hard to get through to her. She hasn't done any lifestyle changes, either. On the other hand, I already have a hepatologist lined up and ready to consult with. We were raised around some serious chemicals that are now known carcinogens, but so far, no one has suggested cancer for me or her. Brother just passed from non-Hodgkins. My positive antibody test threw me for a loop, I wasn't expecting it. Have Type 2 Diabetes, "diagnosed" Fibromyalgia (incredible muscle pains, but I'm not sure personally if it is Fibro) and my blood glucose recently went through the roof, which triggered all the tests.
I'm so glad you have a hepatologist lined up! Try to get your own copies of all your lab reports and also make sure the hepatologist gets them all. Be sure to give them the family info too. I'm not a doctor, but that family history and your own series of problems sounds to me like it would be a case of great interest to any doctor with the right background to do some sleuthing. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your new hepatologist will be one with a high degree of scientific curiosity and the persistence to work through a puzzle. You might also want to check out the Hepatitis-Autoimmune forum here. It doesn't seem to be as active as this forum but it might be more relevant.