Hepatitis C Community
DNA high school lab test

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

DNA high school lab test

My son's biology class is scheduled to have a field trip to a DNA center and are requesting our permission for them to swipe for their own DNA for the PCR (polymase chain reaction) process for specific DNA markers - they claim it will be discarded - I am not comfortable or trusting that it will  - how and what to do to ensure sample will be discarded or should we opt out ?  
Tags: DNA
Hi there i do think you should beable to opt out but if you have any worries you could always request that your son or teacher can bring it back home to you. That way you can easily dispose of the swab yourself then you will know for sure that it as been destroyed. Hope your son enjoys his trip. Jules
I am going to call the lab and see if that is an option - thank you for the response