Hepatitis C Community
DOES THE LIVER CAUSE BOWELS TO BE LOOSE

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

DOES THE LIVER CAUSE BOWELS TO BE LOOSE

HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE.I HOPE SOME ONE CAN ANSWER MY QUESTION.I HAVE BEEN HAVING LOOSE BOWELS FOR 14 YEARS.THEY TURNING YELLOW NOW WITH PHELGM IN THEM.I DON'T KNOW IF IT COULD BE MY LIVER OR SOME THING ELSE.I ALL SO BLEED NOW FROM MY RECTUM,THAT STARTED A YEAR AGO.I HAVE TO PUT GAUZE IN MY RECTUM SO THAT I WANT GET BLOOD ON MY PANTIES.THIS IS SO EMBARRASSING TO WRITE.AT LEAST NO BODY CAN SEE ME AND MY FACE IT'S BRIGHT RED.ANY WAYS DOES THIS SOUND LIKE THE LIVER?I HAVE HEARD THAT THE LIVER WILL TURN THE BOWELS YELLOW.WHAT DO YOU GUYS AND GALS THINK?NEW MEMBER TNT406.
I think that thiis sounds like you should see a dr. While I can recall a couple of members who have complained of bowel issues related to hep c, I don;t know for sure, but I think you should rule out other things first.
like rearfang stated, you need to rule out other things, before assigning hep c the blame. A colonoscopy is the best way to do that, and endoscopy at the same time might save you some time.
Hep c does seem to cause some bowel problems in some, like IBS, but you need to rule out other things.
good luck to you
Hi, like the others said, get thee to a doctor ASAP! Where it could be from any number of etiologies, and maybe more than one, I'll tell you of my experience with it. When I had a hep flare up last summer, one of the more annoying symptoms was loose stools. This seemed to "clear up" when the rest of the symptoms cleared up for the most part. But I'd go get some tests, for sure, this is not something that you should ignore and wait to see if it clears up on its own.
That sounds somewhat similar to me.  In fact loose stools often light colored were factors that led to me finding I had hepatitis C and I also had rectal bleeding and mucous which stained my underwear.  It also seemed to me that drinking alcohol would make the problem worse with the bowel movements.  I had a colonoscopy which didn't find any problems but the gastro doctor remarked there was come "vasculature" by the anal spincture that was probably the source of the bleeding and it was not hemorrhoids which is what I thought it was and a primary care doctor said it was.  But that was all I got out of that.  I went through treatment for the hep C and sucessfully cleared the virus.  The loose yellow/light colored stools seemed to clear up during treatment.  The bleeding with mucous gradually improved after treatment and now 8 months post treatment is much improved.  Almost gone and I'm really happy about that.  I think you have to see a doctor though to rule out serious problems.  Good luck to you.

RUN do not walk to the nearest doctor. I don't know where you live or if you have insurance or money but most hospitals have to treat you if you show up at the ER, it's called 'EMTALA' which stands for something like 'emergency medical treatment something something'...which means they can't turn you away if you have a true emergency. Anyway, most hospitals are non-profit and accept federal funds. A requirement of accepting those funds is that they must perform a certain amount of 'charity care' if they want to continue to accept the funding. Go to the ER, ask for a charity care application if you need it. Here in NY some hospitals also have 'Hill Burton' funds available. That means they have taken out a loan from the government and have to pay it back, the way they do that is to give charity care...the more Hill Burton they give out, the quicker the loan is paid off so they are happy to give out the application. They may have their own requirements but it is something else to consider.
Cin
Sounds like colitis (inflamation (inflammation) of the colon),consistent with loose stools,mucous and bleeding.
As others have correctly said-straight to the doctor.
I too, had bowel troubles for years, with bleeding. 2 weeks into treatment and it stopped.
Is the blood you are passing from your rectum bright red, or is it dark and looking like ground coffee?  Hemorrhoids can cause bleeding, and if it is red, that is certainly a possibility. If it is your liver, it would have to be in cirhossis before it would cause bleeding from your bowels.  It is very important for you to see a physician as quickly as possible to determine the cause of your symptoms.  This could be something serious, but you won't know until your go to a doctor.
I am a 40 year old female & i have loose bowels & they are
dark dark brown alot of the time.But i don't ever see blood.
I have stomach discomfort too.I get nausious alot & have
alot of heartburn.I was never fully dignosed with acid
reflux but the doctors think thats what i have or an ulcer.
I don't feel good most of the time.My dad died of colon
cancer so i am very afraid.But i'm also afraid of the test
i have to take.I get muccus in my stools too.Lately its
been real soft & loose like similar to dirriaha but not
exceltly.Although i do get alot of gas pains & gas.
What does anybody think i have?
Write back.I'd appraiate a reply.

Maddey