Hepatitis C Community
Dating

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Dating

I've been dating someone with hepatitis c for sometime and are ready to move our realtionship to the next level, I dont have hep c and would like to stay that way so would like advice.
Tags: dating
well , I am no expert, but it is said that it is not really likely to transmit this virus sexually, only maybe rough sex that some how makes an open wound.  It is blood to blood contracted, but nothing is saying that , that is 100% accurate.
Ya know ,that 5% rule.
I am in in a long term relationship, my husband does not have it, I was dx 3 yrs. ago, but I most likely have had it longer than that. When I found out, I contacted my ex, another long term relationship, he was tested negative also.
I am very careful , if I am at bleeding, i.e. cuts, toothbrushes, razors, we don't share anything that could have minUte blood on it. So far , no problems.
Just using common sense, and you should be fine. I think I got mine from a lazy dental office.
Good luck...I am sure thank ful that my husband stuck by me.
pitter
i"ve had hep c 4 a long time now and my husband and daughter doesn't have it,thank god 4 that,but just be careful when he bleeds and that way you'll wont get it at all.my ex gave it 2 me
http://janis7hepc.com/sex_and_hcv.htm

Be sure to scroll down this page; there’s lots of info here.

Bill
I am very new to all of this so I really don't feel very comfortable responding to anything with my limited knowledge but I guess everyone on here had to start somewhere.My husband has recently been diagnosed with hep c.The best we can figure he caught it about 21 yeas ago and we have been together for 20 yrs.I tested negative for my antibody test.We are more careful now but for the last 20 years if one of us left our toothbrush at home (traveled alot before txt) we shared one.No big deal we ALWAYS shared a razor and ALWAYS cut ourselves, again no big deal.We shared everything.Of course now we make sure to rebuy toothbrushes and no razor sharing.No need to test fate.I am going to get tested again in a few months because it seems almost unreal that I wouldn't have at some point caught it.
I copied this from wikipedia .Hope you find it useful
Sexual exposure
Sexual transmission of HCV is considered to be rare. Studies show the risk of sexual transmission in heterosexual, monogamous relationships is extremely rare or even null.[17][18] The CDC does not recommend the use of condoms between long-term monogamous discordant couples (where one partner is positive and the other is negative).[19] However, because of the high prevalence of hepatitis C, this small risk may translate into a non-trivial number of cases transmitted by sexual routes. Vaginal penetrative sex is believed to have a lower risk of transmission than sexual practices that involve higher levels of trauma to anogenital mucosa (anal penetrative sex, fisting, use of sex toys).[20]
My anecdotal story is this. I was married for about 25 years before I found out I had HCV and had contracted it before I got married. We have 5 children together. My wife has not been exposed to the virus during all of this, including sharing razors (my pet complaint!).

Ditto on sh625's post above from Wiki. It is consistent with the literature I have run into as well.
You would both have to be bleeding is the short and to the point answer. It is nearly impossible to get it from normal heterosexual intercourse. Using the back door increases the risk (see above comments), but still does not guarantee transmission. Good luck to you, it was fear from an old boyfriend that helped me to find this forum, actually a blessing as it helped tremendously while I was treating.