Hepatitis C Community
Day 21, Incivek triple therapy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Day 21, Incivek triple therapy

Let the games begin!
Side effects are beginning to kick in for my husband. Shortness of breath, fatigue, wonky stomach especially if he eats too much, signs of beginning rash on arms - not itching yet, headache (this morning it's a 8 on the 1-10 scale), and, yes, a touch of PMS. :-) Emotional and irritable. Not all the time. I was bringing him coffee Easter morning and when I walked in the room he was weeping. I said, honey what's wrong, and he replied, nothing - I just love you so much. Awwww. So sweet. I know how much he loves me but he doesn't usually cry over it. And he's gotten a little argumentative. There's some eye rolling going on, at each other. Good thing he loves me!
Water yourselves everyone!
This is cute. Yeah, three weeks is about when the side effects of the PI kind of kick in. The shortness of breath really progressed for me but I was afreaid to mention it because I did not want my Riba reduced. In the beginning I got so much stuff done I was putting off. Me and my husband assembled all these things we had been wanting to fix / install forever but as time progressed I was a little less interactive. It was never that I didn't want to be though!

I would indeed keep on an eye on your husband's mood. As his treatment progresses there may be uncharacteristic emotions or behaviors that arise that completely take the both of you aback.  Not to be nosy but was he interested in any type of prophylactic AD? Anyway, just know that it is not about you if your level of intimacy declines a tad. Either way there can never be too many hugs. This is just my opinion but I think lots of assurance really helps. No one wants to feel like a burden. Plus, not having the desire or energy to participate in life with one's usual spirit can be discouraging sometimes especially since on the outside many of us look 100% normal!

Did you read the post about preparing the skin for treatment and possibly the rash? I believe it mentioned daily use of Eucerin with a bit of OTC cortisone as perhaps a way to mitigate skin irritation.

I am glad your husband has you to help him through his treatment. You seem like you will learn absolutely everything about HCV and this whole process and will be expert in no time.  I would *never* wish this on anyone but know that I understand how things are and this is my second time treating and trying to clear the virus I am glad it is me going through this and not my husband. I mean that purely from a relationship dynamic standpoint ~ err, my relationship, that is. Thought I would add that so I don't sound sexist!♪
At first, there was this big outbreak that everyone on incivek would get the rash.  After a while people started to realize lesser actually got the rash.  I'm on wk 3, no rash, the sides do seem a lot nastier than normal.  
I did not realize Incivek had that reputation. I did not get a rash with Incviek either. If I did not eat enough fat with my dose I would get itchy about an hour later but that's about it.

I
I know what he is going through. I had to have a blood infusion this past monday and I feel so much better , my hgb went down to 9.8 so keep an eye on that my doc also cut my riba in half , im off incivek now two weeks make sure he drinks water and dose the 20gram fat    good luck with this     [joey48]
keep doing weekly cbcs...is he on an ad? as long as you know he may be very different at times then you'll be fine...good luck...billy
A vertex rep spoke about it at the training class.  Fruits & vegetables seem a lot lower in fat content, except for avocados.  I find myself going over 20 w/ Haagen-Dazs, chips, etc.
watch blood counts before they get too low.  my hgb got down lower than 8.3 before they started me on procrit.  It was a horrible feeling.  bless his incivek,riba, interferon stained heart,  its going for a roller coaster ride.  (You) need to put your seatbelt on.  He is going to need you more now than probably he ever has.  Bring him water,food,hang out with him,wipe his brow, listen to him, (ignor him) :).  He will love you even more than you thought possible!  Sounds like you are right in the game with him!
Thanks so much for your reply!
He's been on Zoloft for a couple years - can't believe I'm saying this but I just LOVE that stuff. He struggled with minor depression for so many years, thinking self help books, meditation, St. John's Wart and therapy would help.But the Zoloft affected him perfectly. Just feels normal, not wrapped in cotton or anything. Anyway - so he's already on that. We'll see if needs to be increased as time goes on, but he's been pretty good. Actually better than when I posted. Work has helped, plus he's in a band and is building a motorcycle - so those things keep him busy. Busy is good. It's gotta be rough for people who take a leave from work, I think. It's helpful to have a reason to get up and moving, not just be laying on the couch watching True TV.
His rash seems to have disappeared except for a couple spots on his hand that have itched almost from the first week. Every night I'm home I rubbed him down with Lubriderm (because they said Eucerin or Lubriderm initially) and Hydrocortisone before bed. He hates it. I'm kidding, of course. :-). He swears if he gets "intimacy issues" he'll just cash it in. My Italian Stallion. Like that's the biggest thing he has to worry about through this treatment. 55 years old and acts like he's 20. Believe me, I'm not complaining.
He went through 15 years of daily chronic headaches which abated about 5 years ago, so getting them back is bothersome. Probably more bothersome than the fatigue. After going through that with him, I'm pretty familiar with being a caretaker. He's so good, though, and so strong.
You are right, though, I do educate myself on this stuff. Always have. Our doctor only has 4 patients in treatment, so sadly, I think I know more about this than him. Not his fault really. I doubt he has that many hours in a day to research and follow blogs.
Anyyway, thanks for your thoughtful reply. And I hope you're doing well. I know you are. Because you are woman - hear you roar!