Hepatitis C Community
Degree of Contagious

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Degree of Contagious

Is there is a difference in the degree of contagiousness between someone w/HCV who contracted the disease from a blood transfusion and someone that contrancted the disease from a needle stick?

Also, does a high viral load, and long term (chronic) infection mean someone is more contagious (or less) than someone who recently became infected?
Basically HCV is only "contagious" blood-to-blood, so not like a cold from being around someone, kissing, etc. In that respect, I have heard that the higher the viral load, the more "contagious" one might be with let's say a blood-to-blood exposure that might occur let's say with a toothbrush, just to use one example.
To clarify, "contagious" is probably the wrong word to use, but HCV can be transmitted blood-to-blood.
thank you for reply, sorry for wrong wording, was thinking more along lines of the risk of  exposure to another by sexual contact.  i'm divorced but looking, and would never withhold my medical condition.  dr only told me to use protection but that doesn't seem to satisfy potential mates.  guessing it would take a real understanding person to consider dating an hcv positive person.  
timothy141 Amassing and amazing, to se... Comment
Dee1956 commented on MH Community Mgr's status
Emily_MHModerator uploaded new photos
Track your weight over time