Hepatitis C Community
Deodorant allergy? Armpits rash

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Deodorant allergy? Armpits rash

Hi.  I am going into week 22 on triple tx with VIC.  Anyone else have the rash around the armpits??  I know this is from the meds but I also wondered if anyone has developed an allergy to deodorant and had to switch or go without?  The rest of the itchies have gotten more manageable but the armpits have become a challenge.  Any advice??  I skipped the deodorant yesterday and put some Medicated Gold Bond on instead. Whew!  Gives quite the tingle!  Not a total fix so any advice would be welcomed.

On another note.......does anyone have a link to Incivek remedies??  I am on VIC but am trying to located helpful information for another user's thread, who is having a variety of side effects.

Many thanks,
Bee
For the armpit rash, make sure any deodorant you use is unscented.  And see your dermatologist.
Maybe try "Tom's" stuff.  I have no idea whether or not it would help...  Looked at getting Tom's toothpaste before I caved at spent $13 on Biotene.  ;)
I think the Incivek remedies are in several threads. If I recall, the main ones discussed were the flaming butt (both external and internal), the rashes and itching, nausea and/or vomiting, and a few more, but those three seem to give people the most heartache and often need some intervention with prescription meds.

If you tell us the side effects maybe we can give you some remedies that work.
Here is a link to the anal issues:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Bathroom-pain/show/1669338

I think Advocate has some of the remedies in a journal or on her profile.
Thank you so much.  I passed on a link to Advocate's journals.
Sue -- I wondered about Tom's.  I think I will give it a try.  Thanks :)  Hope you are doing okay.

Adam -- Good reminder!  I'll take a look to see if it's scented or not.  Everything else I use is not.  I am having insurance issues right now and will have to seek out another Dermatologist on my plan.  Thanks for the suggestion.

It was really hard sitting in church trying not to scratch my head and my armpits!  LOL  :)
Try talc.
Think gentle for all skin products.
Anything with oatmeal is good.
I get those itchy red spots once in a while under the arms.  My dermatologist gave me something called Triamcynolone.  I use it about once a month for a day or two, only when it gets itchy.  He said at that rate I could use it for life and it clears the itch up within about 6-12 hrs.  Also, it's CHEAP in case you don't go through ins.
I have skin issues even off treatment due to toxic mold exposure. I use Dove for sensitive skin. Make sure everything is fragrance free, includung laundry produts. Oatmeal products are good too.
I'm on vic also and the itching just started. Can't wait for it to take full swing...I also get itchy around the armpits, sides of the head too.I bought the toms but its a little too wet feeling for me. I feel like a dog with fleas sometimes! Bee-are you doing 24 weeks or 48? Are you responding?
I bath w dr Bonners and use tea tree oil deodorant. This helped my skin and underarm rash! Good luck! K
Oh and I've used 1 tube of triamincilone. Love it!
There is also a skin cream called Cera V,You can get it at Walmart and CVS.My brother used it for his rash and itching and it completely took both away.It is inexpensive and was dr recommended.
OH & Rocky -- Yes, I am fragrance free in all my products. I will look into the talc and the oatmeal.  Thanks!

Adam -- I looked up that medication and determined I cannot take it, but thank you:  http://www.drugs.com/triamcinolone.html

Lee -- Keep an eye on the itchies, as I understand it can get out of control quickly.  The fact that you are on VIC means you're still better off than the rash on INC.  My tx time is up in the air at the moment.

Crossroads -- Dr Bonner's and the tea tree oil sound soothing!  Thanks.

Eyes -- You know, I have seen CeraVe on the shelves for years and never tried it.  I will get some!  Thanks :)