Diagnosed with Cysts on my Liver
I am a 60 year old female.  I have continued pain on my right side.  The pain is towards the back, below the ribs, in the crease of my waist.  I had an ultrasound done thinking it was due to Ballblader.  The results were negative with the exception of two cysts found on my liver.  The doctor said most of the time these are not cancerous.  She wants to repeat the test in three months.  I'm not comfortable with waiting and want to see a specialist to possibly have them removed.  Do cysts on the liver become cancer and can they be removed.  Should I be concerned?

Thank you.

I have a cyst on my liver.  Went to 2 specialists and both said not to worry-- no chance of becomming cancerous and about 5% of the population is born with them.  I would get a 2nd opinion for your peace of mind, but I wouldn't worry too much.  Also, think long and hard about letting anyone convince you of surgery if you and those little cysts can cohabitate happily.
I havw been living with Hep C for nearly 15 years, My blood work is always good, I am 67 years old and for the first time a few months ago my Dr. did an ultra sound on my liver, kidneys, pancreas and told m,e I had a small cyst on my liver.I have been living with fear should I be worried about this turning into liver cancer
Welcome to the forum.

This is a very old thread. You will get more responses if you start a new thread.

Go towards the top, to the orange bar entitled Post a Question. Click on it and then post your question. Give it a subject title such as Liver Cancer so that the right people, those who know about cysts and liver cancer will see it.

I don't know the answer to your question. But someone does. Hector will know for sure.

As far as being 67 years old and being Hep C positive is concerned, have you thought of treating and getting rid of the Hep C?

I don't know what Genotype you are. It would be good to include your Genotype in a post.

Blood work does not necessarily tell you much unless you have severe liver disease. People can have normal blood work and still have advanced liver disease.

The ultrasound will also not tell you how advanced your liver disease is. A liver biopsy is the gold standard for determining the liver fibrosis stage.

I don't know where you live but it would be a good idea to see a Hepatologist, a liver specialist. A liver specialist is better educated and experienced to manage your care. You can find a hepatologist at a large university affiliated medical center/transplant center.

It would be advisable to make some decisions soon. At 67, your fibrosis is probably advancing at a more rapid pace. Plus, you would want to treat before you develop more advanced fibrosis and before you develop other diseases that may make it difficult to treat.

I just finished 48 weeks of treatment (treatment can be a s short as 24 weeks, depending on the circumstances). I did fine and am now waiting to see if I stay free of Hepatitis.

Best of luck.